Immigrant journey

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by google boy, 8th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

I agree they have nothing to do with a small population, but they ha e everytjjnt to do with me disagreeing with your insistence Australians quality of life peaked in 1974 as you keep on insisting.

You clearly are incapable of an unbiased discussion here so I'll blw out.

Btw, the Australian figures you're referring to stop at 2006, not 1997 s I originally thought but we'll overall decade out of date. You'll forgive me if I don't go out andtattoo your name on my arse with a love heart for enlightening me on this auspicious day

2. scienceman

scienceman Well-Known Member

The GPI calculations take into account those negatives but they aren't entirely based on them. The whole idea is to have a measure that is more realistic in representing standard of living. So I don't know why you want to bring them up as some sort of 'gotcha' moment.

Data stopping at 2006? What about the ABC article which gives measure like incomes per capita, etc?

Your the one who is biased in ignoring data or dismissing it out of hand (you have heard the term 'projection').

Last edited: 14th Nov, 2017
  3. sanj

Check the cited sources, the gpi is based on a book released in 2008

Im sorry butyoure wrong, get over it

Btw let me guess, you're a white male? Anyone else, be it a white female or any ethnic wouldn't be dreaming of the good old days of the white Australia policy and woeful representation of women in society

Im entirely comfortable disagreeing with you here, feel free to continue clutching at straws though

4. scienceman

I am not talking about the GPI but other data eg the ABC article gives income data up to 2016. Also you can find charts of per capita GDP which cover up to the present. And everyone knows about the high cost of housing, increasing toll, congestion etc.

5. sanj

Hahahaha "GPI proves that our standard of living peaked in 1974"

"Im not talking about GPI"

Errrr

I take it you chose the name scienceman out of sheer irony? Because you are doing taking a Donald Trump-esque approach to science atm

6. scienceman

Nit picking/ quoting me out of context. There is ample evidence apart from GPI calculations, as I just pointed out in my previous post (and you completely bypassed), that the trend described has not reversed, ie that the standard of living has not actually improved what with indicators like stagnant incomes and low per capita GDP growth, and coupled with higher costs of housing, more congestion etc. The article form TheConverstion obviously makes this conclusion when they mention the present day.

Last edited: 14th Nov, 2017
  7. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

seriously why don't you create another thread and post abt over population, boom bust theories on overpopulated cities and Ponzi scheme theories while the others try to focus on making some coin.

derailing the thread from guys who did well irrespective of whatever migration policies one might want.

Sackie and sanj like this.
  8. is_don_is_good

is_don_is_good Well-Known Member

I stand corrected.

I do believe you're an exception to most of the operators out there though, especially in the inner city in Melbourne where it's rather cut throat.

One common thing i might add that you touched on is the importance of paying managers and chefs well. People i know paid them above award rate and gave extra benefits because good ones and hard to find and they're easy to lose otherwise. Enter the reason why many end up hiring 457's.

sanj likes this.
  9. scienceman

I am not wrong at all - you keep repeating this strawman about the book being released in 2008. The article continuously refers to the present day (time of writing). No doubt the writers are aware of the ample evidence that the standard of living trend hasn't altered in the past 10 years. Do you have any evidence to the contrary?

PS: As to your diversions regarding the white Australia policy, women in society, it is not a question of returning to those policies. In fact immigrants (those already here) as well as women would benefit just as much as any other citizen or permanent resident from a more sustainable rate of population growth.