Immigrant journey

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by google boy, 8th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. google boy

google boy Well-Known Member

27 yrs old came to aus 8 yr ago in student visa with 2k travel cheque from Nepal with limited english.. Worked very hard in hospitality industry. Invested heavily in share market on student visa. After getting permanent residency , sold the share and bought property in clayton in 2015. Bought 1st investment property 2016 in Lalor, bought 2nd investment property 2017 in Altona meadows.
    Paid off the mortgage for clayton in sep 2017. Bought blue chip share in oct 2017.

Thinking of retiring in when I am 34.

Gypsyblood, devank, apk and 14 others like this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Oh common, It can't be done. Pure fantasy. We all know young people have too many obstacles to get into the property markets in Australia. Surely it must have cut into your booz/avo/cigs/dinners/credit cards splurge schedule no?

Seriously, well done mate. ;)

Gypsyblood, datto, JacM and 4 others like this.
  3. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Have you factored into this retirement eating out 2x times per week, 1x overseas holidays and 2x domestic holidays + A gardener and cleaner?

charttv likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Wow, go google boy, Melb is awsome

5. google boy

the way u retired , it differs from person to person. My retirement plan is different. Playing soccer and cricket over the weekend. In my Nepalese melb community outdoor tournament is on throughout the years. Going back home for holiday to meet my parents and spending time with family.. If we convert dollar to rupee it comes a lot which is good u can enjoy a lot. If u can make the source of passive income, holiday and eating out is no problem. I can work casually too if I get bored. Giving more time to my kids in the future will be my priority I believe in simple living , high thinking.

JacM and Jess Peletier like this.
  6. DowntownBlock

DowntownBlock Well-Known Member

NIce one - did you study at all on the visa? :)

What blue chip shares are you buying now?

7. google boy

I studied hospitality management and commerical cookery for 2 years. Did not got opportunity to go to big uni to study scienc,. as inernational student fee was very expensive. I had completed my high school in science back home. People who are born are very lucky, they got so much opportunity. If i was born here, I would have achieved a lot.

week and charttv like this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

My oath if you are born you are very lucky. Unlike me, had to crack the shell open from the inside with head butts lol.

Where you are born in this country also makes a difference.

luckyone and JacM like this.
  9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

If you are born here, would you still ended up having the same amount of grit as you are now?

10. google boy

People coming with english speaking background immigrant vs non english speaking background, Please tell me , who has to struggle a lot? There is huge difference.

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I actually think its much more beneficial to be born overseas in a less privileged country than Australia so when you come here you will be less entitled and wont take anything for granted. I know many migrants who fall in this category and have excelled here. Not saying Aussies born here are all entitled either. But its the migrants or other cultures here I see who mostly kick ass.

codeninja, Lions4Eva, Ekin200 and 4 others like this.
  12. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

I largely agree with your main point, of course on the proviso that this overseas upbringing was not completely bleak AND that it involved moving to Australia after because without the whole getting a chance to move to a country consistently full of more opportunity than people looking for them it would be hard argue that most in the world would be starting well behind usAussies from birth onwards.

Did you know the author who came up with the terribly misunderstood and misused "lucky country" term that gets throw around in a positive manner actually coined it as he felt that we have so much abundance and are so lucky in Australia (comparatively) that we became fsr too reliant on the luck and complacent as a result (im paraphrasing here).

"

Australia is a lucky country run mainly by second rate people who share its luck. It lives on other people's ideas, and, although its ordinary people are adaptable, most of its leaders (in all fields) so lack curiosity about the events that surround them that they are often taken by surprise.[2]

Horne's statement was an indictment of 1960s Australia. His intent was to comment that, while other industrialized nationscreated wealth using "clever" means such as technology and other innovations, Australia did not. Rather, Australia's economic prosperity was largely derived from its rich natural resources and immigration. Horne observed that Australia "showed less enterprise than almost any other prosperous industrial society."[3]"

13. sanj

It's definitely a much tougher road to success for someone like yourself who came here without much money,with no family support or government support to fallback on and language barriers to deal with, vs the average local. What can't be discounted is that a major intangible "skill" that exists in the migrants is this ambitious, hungry nature and a perspective that many locals dont have or aren't exposed to.

That can often mean the larger challenge is easier to handle having this upbringing and perspective.

That being said though ultimately i do chuckle at the vocal minority who complain about immigrants without much grasp of the language stealing tbeir jobs because provides it is above board and not exploitative, if a freshly arrive immigrant with no support network and English as a 2nd language can so easily steal a locals jobthe more Pertinent issue is how **** some of those locals must be at their job imo

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

You have achieved a lot:)

Redwing likes this.
  15. sanj

Congrats and kudos on your big effort and bigger result by the way, thanks for sharing.

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

No I didn't know that, but interesting.

17. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

Well done on all your achievements @google boy

If you don't mind me asking how much did buy your Clayton property for? Paid off in 2 years!! That's pretty amazing mate. :)

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I don't know a single person who has ever gotten ahead by following the rules book 100% to the letter, 365 days of the year.. Personally I think just leave the guy alone.

Last edited: 9th Oct, 2017
    JDP1 and is_don_is_good like this.
  19. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Well done on your accomplishments so far but remember 'success is a journey not a destination'.
    Give yourself some credit, my mentor said. "Learn how to be happy with what you have while you pursue all that you want" (Jim Rohn).
    You see sometimes we do not really know how our life would turned out under different circumstances... I too was born and raised overseas yet aspired to want, have, and act to achieve more. Yet my children who are born here have a much more stable and now privileged life. So you see being born here don't guarantee achievement or success at all, yes opportunities but many will not act on them! I will leave you with another quote by Jim Rohn, and IMHO, I think this is the key:
    "Each of us has two distinct choices to make about what we will do with our lives. The first choice we can make is to be less than we have the capacity to be. To earn less. To have less. To read less and think less. To try less and discipline ourselves less. These are the choices that lead to an empty life. These are the choices that, once made, lead to a life of constant apprehension instead of a life of wondrous anticipation And the second choice? To do it all! To become all that we can possibly be. To read every book that we possibly can. To earn as much as we possibly can. To give and share as much as we possibly can. To strive and produce and accomplish as much as we possibly can."

20. DowntownBlock

DowntownBlock Well-Known Member

And people wonder why wages aren't rising in Australia!!!

Australia issued 310,845 student visa's last year. That's over 2% of Australia's working population...

If most of these deliberately disrepect the nature of the visa, then that is a reasonable distortion of the labour market, at least for students / labourers etc...

This is from an economic perspective at least, without considering social amenities etc.

Again, just data from below:

2015–16 at a glance