Immediate claim or depreciate toilet?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by James Bond, 18th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

Hi, I have just replaced a broken toilet at a cost of $520. Given that this is a figure above $350, do I have to depreciate it or can I claim this as an immediate write-off as it's a direct replacement and not an improvement as such?

Thanks

JB

2. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

The under $300 thing (not $350) applies to Assets. A toilet is not an Asset - it's is regarded as part of the building. If the toilet was broken while the place was being rented out and you kept some of the associated plumbing, your accountant will likely claim it as a repair.
    It's a bit of a blurry line, but there is an ATO Private Ruling where they allowed someone to claim a replacement bathroom vanity (building item) as a repair because the original plumbing was kept.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

Thanks Scott, I kept all the associated plumbing so I'll claim as a repair. And thanks for the clarification on the asset $.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I would agree that a toilet is a part of the building and not "the building"...A repair cost to repair the building.

Its like the doors, roof, windows etc