Images load slowly on Telstra

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by Simon Hampel, 1st Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I've received reports that images from my servers are loading very slowly for people on Telstra links.

I'm not seeing this and I've confirmed that people on other ISPs don't have this problem - but it's also not a universal Telstra problem (other sites are fast), so it may be something about the way Telstra routes traffic from my VPS provider (Linode Tokyo).

Can I ask people who use Telstra to test downloading this file: http://speedtest.tokyo.linode.com/100MB-tokyo.bin (it's a 100MB file - so don't do it on your phone) ... let me know what kind of download speeds you get and how long it takes.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Im on velocity and that file is telling me 30 mins............

ta
    rolf

3. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

56 seconds on slow speed cable

4. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

2 hours on ADSL :confused:

5. Simon Hampel

@Rolf Latham @Emoi @freyja ... are you also able to try this file for comparison: http://speedtest.singapore.linode.com/100MB-singapore.bin

From what we've been able to work out, the way that Telstra routes traffic from Tokyo is via Hong Kong and there is a network hop there causing very slow download speeds.

If you are seeing the same performance from Singapore, the speed limitation is more likely at your end (ie slow cable or ADSL) rather than a network problem elsewhere.

6. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

1 minute from Tokyo and 45 sec from Sing. on Telstra cable.

7. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

No problems with the site on my Telstra mobile. Loads a page in 1 to 2 seconds

8. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

Yep, an 30 minutes for the second test...I think I might blame Netflix...

9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Hi Sim, downloaded this first one within less than a minute on the tablet but can't view file.

10. Simon Hampel

Not intended to be viewed (doesn't contain any readable data) - it's merely a fixed size file for testing and comparing download speeds.

@WattleIdo which ISP are you on and what type of internet connection?

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. Simon Hampel

Okay - further testing seems to indicate that this is a time of day network congestion issue on the network links that Telstra use between Tokyo and Hong Kong.

So on a Saturday night, performance is bad because there is simply too much traffic trying to be pushed between Tokyo and Hong Kong over the network that Telstra have chosen to use.

Unfortunately, not much we can do about that. You could try complaining to Telstra - but I doubt they would even know what you are talking about, nor care :(

WattleIdo likes this.
  12. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

It's Telstra - phone, sim card on tablet.

[QUOTE="Simon Hampel, post: 34204, You could try complaining to Telstra - but I doubt they would even know what you are talking about, nor care :([/QUOTE]

Took Telstra on reluctantly. Would rather wait a few minutes or miss a few photos than try reasoning with Philippino call centres. :mad: May let them know if they send out any service questionairres.