I'm out of touch with alot of people I think

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Sackie, 6th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

i just had a conversation with a tenant today about our plans to put the property on the market in the new year. this was very hard and if i was being honest, i have probably put this call off for close to a year because i know how they feel about this property as their home. they have been amazing tenants who keep the place looking amazing. i asked if they wanted to have a think and chat at a later date about perhaps buying it, i knew of course they could never afford it.

i know people say its 'about the numbers' and for us selling now, it certainly is, but for us its also about people and in this case, very good people. although we shouldn't, we feel like we are in a way letting them down.

Heinz57 likes this.
  2. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

dad had the same couple on one of his farms for 20 years. the husband passed this year and asked if he could have his ashes spread under his favourite tree - dad was more than happy. the wife told dad she wanted to stay there forever too

he has also had the same tenants in his dulwich hill property for 22 years

i guess for some, owning has nothing to do with making a home

Heinz57, Sackie, EN710 and 2 others like this.
  3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@Leo2413 where is this house you are planning on demolishing and what do you intend to put on it?

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Its in Brisbane mate. Planning to build 2 free standing homes on it. Already got subdivision approval.

5. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I rented one townhouse for 12 years. Liked it. Secure ( no easy access to the backyard ). Consequently was paying about 20% below market rent by the time I was ready to end the lease.

It would have been a big inconvenience to move. Liked aspects of the property but I wasn't attached to it.

Sackie likes this.
  6. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I think it is an attitude that is changing in Australia - which is a good thing. Catering for long term tenants needs to improve, and we need to break the concept that renting is a temporary.

Cheers,
    Inertia

Sackie likes this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yeah certainly sounds like some people have embraced renting forever as 'the lifestyle'. I guess whatever works for individuals really.

8. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

yep, for the same outgoing cost you can generally rent cheaper than buy (particularly in capital cities). So long as you use that saving sensibly, all good!

Cheers,
    Inertia

9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Houses in our street sell for > $3m, great schools in the area, walking distance to trains and large shopping centre ... my current estimate of yield on the place we're renting (based on what I see other similar houses selling for and how much rent we pay) is around 2% :eek:

It's certainly not our "strategy" to rent long term - but we're making the most of it tactically while it suits our circumstances.

inertia and Heinz57 like this.
  10. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Curious, how many of us here expect that a tenant is neat and tidy (house and garden), yet if they look at the state of their own house they live in, it would fail all criteria and they would kick themselves out.

legallyblonde, thatbum, Joynz and 2 others like this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Personally I don't care if a tenant is neat or tidy whatsoever - as long as there is no damage to the house and when moving out they clean up to a reasonable level then I'm all good. They can live as they choose to.

Joynz, Phase2 and EN710 like this.
  12. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Agree with @neK - the life of a renter is not for me.

13. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

You can't please everyone. I think you have done the right thing for your conscience to let them know in advance and not leave it to the last minute which would inconvenience them more. Good person!

Joynz and Sackie like this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks mate. I did give heaps of notice as she's been a good tenant. Definitely can't please everyone and gave that up long time ago. I'm sure they'd be some here who would rather I not develop it and let her live there forever. :rolleyes:

15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I live in a shared house. It would fail a rent inspection :(

Sackie and neK like this.
  16. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if anyone here shares that opinion.. you're within your rights to do whatever you want with the property to make a living. Hopefully the nice old lady finds another nice house she can call home.

My earlier comments were made to try and give you some insight into why she has an attachment with the house.. You openly say in your first post that you're "blown away", "don't understand", "surprised", and your title of the thread says you are "out of touch with a lot of people". It's called lack of empathy..
    Read the definition as per the dictionary and you will see that empathy is not simply defined as "being nice", it involves understanding another persons feelings. I'm not inferring you're not a nice person by the way ;)
    Another word you might want to look up is narcissism. Do you really want to label yourself as a narcissist in your signature?

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Luckily I didn't put ' serial killer of rich married women' as my signature :D

VB i appreciate your posts mate i just happen to not agree with the 'lack empathy' part is all.

18. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Potatoes, potardos.. all good mate. I was also genuinely interested in knowing your (myer briggs) personality type before to get some more insight or see which angle you're coming from. I'm ISFJ.. which is why I'm interested in your landlords point of view. The star wars personality chart might explain it.

Sackie likes this.
  19. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

INTJ here. I wanted to get Yoda though :p

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

OK, I did it for fun and it came up with ESTP (entrepreneur). I'm starting to like this whole concept now :D

Gockie, Perthguy and EN710 like this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.