I'm going to an auction this morning

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Depreciator, 3rd Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

A flat in Marrickville. I'm only interested if it goes for what I think is below market value, but of course an auction is the market.
    The agent is not very pro-active, so we'll see. He has been talking down the condition of the flat, but it's pretty good. Public Trustee is selling, so a sale before auction was not an option.
    Yesterday I went to the Strata Managers office to look over the books and meeting minutes. It's easy to do that and there is no point paying someone else $250 to do it. Amazingly, the strata manager told me nobody else had paid for a report or done a read through themselves. I don't get that at all.
    I learnt that there is a $3,000 Special Levy next year, which isn't the end of the world. I'm wondering what the protocol is at the auction of me piping up and saying, 'Hey, what can you tell us about the big Special Levy next year?'

Archaon, Chrispy, jim1964 and 2 others like this.
  2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Do you intend to ask this during the auction or before the auction starts ,it would work better to ask just before they start and ask any questions the unknown may gut the punters down if your standing down the back where you can watch everyone and everything,i seen people ask or throw a spanner in during the process half way through and it does not work once your in that zone at a auction..good luck..

3. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

I
    I'd ask a friend to come along , register and get them to ask.

Gladys, 158 and chindonly like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Always use any information to your advantage - raise the issue but call it large or significant not the actual amount.

Archaon, Sackie and MJS1034 like this.
  5. Depreciator

It will go for high 5s, I reckon. I would only be a buyer around mid 5s. Let's see.

6. Depreciator

The market has spoken.
    It went for $645K to a very determined and strangely tall young couple.
    There was no way she was not going to get it. She set her jaw, stood tall, and was slapping other bidders down with $10K bids and then $5K ones at the end. It was brutal.

Sackie, Chrispy, Perthguy and 3 others like this.
  7. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Cripes! Admittedly, a great location but either they're crazy, or I'd better get some fresh valuations done when this settles.

Or maybe they have inside word about the proposed rezoning around the Dulwich Hill station.

8. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Dean Collins and Perthguy like this.
  9. Depreciator

Yes, Marrickville is still steaming ahead. I thought things had quietened down a bit.
    I had the feeling that the tall, determined girl got up this morning and said to her tall boyfriend, 'I'm not missing out this time.'
    The under bidder looked like an investor. He didn't seem all that disappointed when she finally slapped him down.

Steven Ryan likes this.
  10. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Looks like he came up a bit short :oops:

wobbycarly, Sackie, Gingin and 4 others like this.
  11. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

If that's the case, All of a sudden 645 (gulp!) Doesn't sound so nutz....

Congrats if any of you have a place in Marrickville!

Archaon and bondibch like this.
  12. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Did you end up saying anything about the special levy?

13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'd say @Depreciator also has a vested interest in Marrickville commanding high property prices...

14. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

Cecilia St is a great complex - we bid on two properties before being beaten on max budget (could have afforded to pay more but not worth the return) but it's one of the better complexes in the suburb albeit high strata fees to maintain the center garden.

We were going to bid recently on a much more downmarket apartment closer to the railway line but found a perfect apartment in Allawah.

Will be interesting in 2020+ etc if I regret not purchasing on the new metro line, the real problem is finding nice blocks as most of the apartments aren't that great in marrickville even if the suburb with all the restaurants etc have great capital growth potential.

If I had the money I'd be buying up one of the bigger semi's in the area (not the bathroom in the rear but the upstairs/downstairs wider ones).

15. Depreciator

No. The people bidding wouldn't have been phased. The tall, determined girl would have just given me a withering gaze.

Chrispy likes this.
  16. Depreciator

Yes, lots of the apartment stock in Marrickville is old, but older buildings have low fees and the growth is there. Some new, flash buildings are coming online which will keep a lid on prices for the older flats especially and there might be a few vacancies till the supply is taken up. There is a new building called Wave on Illawarra Road. It's a good looking one and a sign of the fact that developers need to build more interesting stuff for the people who want to live in Marrickville. There would be at least 50 in that building and the developer has kept all of them to rent out.
    My flats in older buildings have grown well in value so far, but they will have a pause. Goodness knows what my PPOR would be worth now. When we bought it in 2002 it was the highest sale to date in Marrickville.

Archaon and Chrispy like this.
  17. Repaistre

Repaistre New Member

I know this is years later, but worth the shot. How was the health of the strata at the time?

Last edited by a moderator: 7th Sep, 2019
    Dean Collins likes this.
  18. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

No idea, we never ended up buying there and arent in the market to buy more investment properties in Australia due to the changes at the ATO with expat taxes.

My feeling on the market is i'd still like to buy an IP in the Marrickville area etc.

Sackie likes this.