NSW Im excited its Saturday !!

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 1st Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

More so recently, yes.
    @WattleIdo is right. For a holiday it's great. Going again next year, spend time with the family, watch a couple of soccer games (you don't know what atmosphere is until you go to a game there) and enjoy the weather and beaches.

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Agree Southern Turkey is beautiful and safe. St Nicholas was purported to have been born there.

3. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

Apparently. I went to that spot and checked it out. Very popular with the Russian tourists who were there in bus loads.

4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

St Nick is small fry. Urgup and Cappadocia are where it's at. The real rock stars went there after all the drama.
    As for the politics, there's the ones who agree and plenty who don't. Turkish people often squabble with the govt.

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I've got nothing against the people at all, but some odd things have started to happen since he got in:
    "http://english.alarabiya.net/en/New...Erdogan-slams-claims-of-Turkey-ISIS-link.html"

6. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

Its moving further away from being a secular state. But that's a discussion for a whole new thread.

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2015
  7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's probably more concise than I could do, thanks.
    But yes, I would love to go to Turkey - and Egypt if it calms down a bit too.

OC1 likes this.
  8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Egypt used to be one of the safest places ...

9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

What can I say...doesn't claim any sympathy towards those radical idiots. Also, just allowing US to randomly bomb another country for a bunch of guerillas - can't disagree with the stand there either.
    They are usually accused of being in bed with the US (as are we) so sometimes 'No' is appropriate, even necessary. Syria and Turkey are neighbours.

10. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Egypt is still actually very safe - especially if you avoid Cairo. Cairo is great for about 2days IMO. Its a massive city (20mln population). The National Museum, even if you hate museums, will keep you occupied for many many hours. And its not even all that big. Very interesting.

Then head down to Sharm or Dahab - both worth a visit. And some great diving.

Blacky

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

I went to Cairo, and went to the Egyptian Museum, I got half way in and I realised I hadn't paid. I found out later the local Egyptians don't have to pay! Walked like an Egyptian!!
    :oops:

Blacky and Azazel like this.
  12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Haha, that's awesome.

13. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yep, although I really liked alexandria. I even thought about buying an IP there on the corniche. Some great buys to be had.

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Did you actually check the numbers, yield, vacancy rates etc...?
    Or was it just the romantic idea of having a place there?

15. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I went there a few yrs ago. I checked it out on the ground. Also have a local friend who would keep am eye on it and help me with the politics and legalities on the ground. Numbers depends on what you buy, but I was thinking long term 20 plus years hold ; stuff that won't break the bank and just rent it out. Even if it doesn't easily find a tenant, I could withstand the place being vacant. Right time to buy as well. Having a local trusted friend on the ground helps immensely.

16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That would help a lot. I've looked into buying in the Greek Islands, but not being local makes it harder. A friend of a friend has done some reno/development over there though, so not impossible.