International I'm conducting some research on stock micro investing

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Dan Donoghue, 17th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Similar to this thread This is where I will be posting all the updates for my monthly micro investment experiment beginning with the first investment in January (Later than the 15th as I will be away until the 21st).

I will be posting monthly results showing how it is for a complete rookie to dabble in an unfamiliar market. Hopefully my data gives some new comers some avenues of exploration and some real life results to analyse.

The experiment will run for a minimum of 12 months, Stocks will be picked by me and as such will have a heavy leaning towards tech and AI (and maybe a little mineral mining as we need the Cobalt to power all this tech :)) as that is what I am familiar with.

EN710, MIke B, sharon and 3 others like this.
  2. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

What micro investing system are you using or looking at (Raiz etc)?

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  3. Dan Donoghue

I was planning on using Stake but will look into Raiz.

4. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

There's a few about nowadays and with Robin Hood coming to Australia also, will be interesting to see how this goes (have enjoyed the bitcon thread also)

Stake

Raiz

First Step

Robin Hood

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  5. Dan Donoghue

Yeah I was on the email list for Robin Hood but then I found out Stake is already operational so I signed up, it's pretty much as easy as Coinbase was to set up for the Bitcoin experiment.

I think I may have used to the wrong term when I said micro investing though, Raiz and First Step seem to focus on round up (but also offer lump sums) I like Stake because I can dump my $250 in per month, wait the 2 days for it to turn up in my US account then start buying stocks listed on the NYSE :).

Glad you enjoyed the Bitcoin thread, it's sole purpose was to provide some basic analysis without risking everything, I feel the thread delivered exactly what it was designed to deliver. I hope this one does too but time will tell :).

6. Dan Donoghue

first months amount should be available on Tuesday (takes two days to transfer from AUD to USD) to invest. Will post details shortly.

The Prestige likes this.
  7. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

May I ask why US Listed stocks for this experiment? Furthermore, wouldn't it be easier to use a big bank with an international trading account? What do the micro investing systems offer as an advantage?

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  8. Dan Donoghue

Stake has to trade in USD and they trade on the NYSE I believe it is something to do with the fees that are charged by the ASX but not by the NYSE, they set up a Macquarie bank account for you and perform the requested transaction between AUD and USD. There are no fees on the trades however they charge a Forex fee when the funds are converted between AUD and USD and again when going back from USD to AUD.

Stake is the only app I found that I was easy enough to play around with without having to learn too much, I also like their catagorisations of stocks ie there is a listing of 2018 IPO's or Weed stocks or Chinas big stocks. The experiment is about the armchair investor with only small amounts to invest on an ongoing basis.

TheRayTracer likes this.
  9. Dan Donoghue

Here we go, Month one :).

Firstly let me say, if anyone has an idea for next years experiment, please feel free to post it, I typically start researching about 3 months before the experiment begins to find the tools I need for micro investments.

Stock purchase was committed overnight so the increase is between then (1am QLD time) and now (8am QLD time).

I am so excited about this experiment, I think it will be more fun than the bitcoin one because there is a lot more involvement due to the sheer number of stocks and what they represent, it's an actual ownership in a company unlike crypto.

upload_2019-1-24_9-13-29.png

I started with only 2 stocks, Vale because they mine precious minerals (Cobalt is of particular interest to me) and NVidea because they produce not just graphics chips but chips that can be used for AI also, I see a very bright future for this company.

***Everything I post in this thread is wholly my opinion only, I am not involved in the finance industry in any way and nothing I post is advice, the data in here is purely documentation and trend analysis.

Last edited: 24th Jan, 2019
    Codie, Perthguy and TheRayTracer like this.
  10. Dan Donoghue

Here you go, this months update:

upload_2019-2-21_8-46-57.png

TheRayTracer likes this.
  11. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Interesting. What are the tax issues??? Do any of them do Canadian exchanges as well as NYSE? The reason I ask is that Canada has a strong resources sector.

12. Dan Donoghue

Hi mate, not sure about the tax issues. I assume it's something my accountant can deal with if I ever cash out.

Stake only do the NYSE but maybe Robinhood when they launch in AU will do others?

willair likes this.
  13. Dan Donoghue

Here is this months update:

upload_2019-3-21_8-35-46.png

14. ms420

ms420 Well-Known Member

Interesting experiment. How do you research your stocks?

I want to invest in Indian stocks and looking for a suitable mode. Please share if you know.

15. Dan Donoghue

My stock choice is a 2 step process.

1) Decide on the industry I am interested in.
    2) Scroll through all the stocks that fit the bill in Stake and read about them.

I am keen on Mining, Bio Engineering and Tech / AI.

NVidea is a well established company who have been making graphics cards for years and have now moved in to AI (They make the AI Chips in Tesla cars).

Vale and UEC are just mining companies that seemed okay to me, Vale in particular because they mine cobalt and UEC mine Uranium.

NIO is like a Chinese version of Tesla Cars, I am not sure this will do as well as I initially thought as it has just come out that they were not completely honest about their setup. They claimed they had their own factories but it turns out they are using government owned factories.

StoneCo provide cloud based platform to conduct electronic commerce, just liked the sound of it so took a punt on it.

I'm not sure if these allow you to trade but there was an article 18 months ago that might give you some info on Indian Stock Apps:

Top 5 Indian Stock Market Android Apps

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Dan Donoghue

Nice alert to wake up to:

STNE (StoneCo) up 13.62% and NVidea up 5.47% yesterday :).

NIO Down 0.17%, UEC down 2.82% and VALE down 0.22%

Total portfolio up 4.58% for the day :).

17. Dan Donoghue

Here is this months:

upload_2019-4-23_8-47-34.png

I Jagged Uxin (Seems like it's a Chinese version of carsales.com.au) at the very very bottom of their trough, hopefully they go back to where they were :).

18. Dan Donoghue

This months update :)

upload_2019-5-17_11-6-52.png

19. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

Dan ,
    UEC don't mine uranium.
    They have permits in place, but the spot price of uranium is currently significantly under what it would be worth for them to ever put it into production (despite using ISR as their recovery method).
    They burn thru cash & produce nothing at the current spot price.
    Admittedly Amir is a wonderful frontman for the company & a fantastic talker.
    But at current uranium spot prices this is not a current mining company. Its basically only a 'potential' land bank play in hope of a rising uranium price.
    Huge leverage on the upside, but significant dilution if its a sideways to down market for how long?.....thats the gamble you are taking.

Anyhoo, you will definitely see movement in one direction or another when Trump makes his section 232 decision. Lets see.

*Dan I own various uranium stocks, UEC is not one of them (so I am obviously biased).
    I am not telling you to sell them.
    Cheers

20. Dan Donoghue

Thanks for the info Lemmy :).

I need to invest more time into my research but have just been too bust this year :(.