Education & Work I'm all for Safe Schools but ...

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by BigKahuna, 10th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Queer theory? Can you elaborate what this is?

I am reading what you say. As I admit, my experience with transgendered folks begins and ends in adulthood.

But, I let my 5 year old dress in a dress if he wants, and sometimes he does. Mostly he wants to be a superhero. I also let my little girl dress as the girly girl she is determined to be. But she can dress up as boy superheros when she wants to too.

Perp, Rugrat, BigKahuna and 1 other person like this.
  2. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

I did too. I let them wear whatever they wanted at the time. I played trucks with my girls. That's just letting them be children.

Queer theory focuses on the individual. Any person can ‘identify’ as anything they want to. It disregards science and biology. Analogy: I have brown eyes. Everyone can see I have brown eyes. But I believe my eyes are blue and I want others to say that my eyes are blue. Someone mentions to me that my eyes are brown. I call them a 'bigot'. That's Queer Theory in a nutshell.

Queer Theory ties in to neoliberalism beautifully.

Last edited: 11th Feb, 2016
  3. BigKahuna

No, seriously, this is the direction in which we are moving. In people's desperate efforts to be 'inclusive' and not appear 'bigoted', anyone who states science or fact is labelled a 'bigot'. That is the Regressive Left.

4. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

Or the ultra conservative right, might just be looking at issues like this with blinders on, making mountains out of molehills??? ;)

No matter all this 'stuff' you have posted, I still cannot believe that policies allowing for students outside the 'norm' (whether trangender, intrasex, or anyother designation) is a bad thing.
    Maybe it is because I am a leftie. Maybe it is because I have many friends and even family who associate themselves outside the 'norm'. Or maybe it is just simply because I genuinely don't care how other people choose (or do not 'choose' in many cases) to live their lives. But I actually do believe inclusiveness is a wonderful thing to strive for.
    I think it is good that our governments are starting to sit up and take notice of these issues. And honestly, I believe that they are way too conservative around issues of gender and sexuality and really should be doing more for equality of all, in all areas of life.

5 children here, and I hope they are exposed to as many differences in people and lifestyle as possible. I do not believe any of them (male or female) are any more at risk because a transgender child shares a toilet, then they might otherwise be in school facilities anyway.

I think people who do fear these changes, are just fearful in general. And I do not think fear is a good position to be making decisions from. It is easy to be scared of the 'unknown'. And the fact is, as yet there are no facts that this would actually cause any issues. Just conjecture and hypothesis and fear.
    Girls are raped in toilets all the time. I would be so bold as to suggest that in the overwhelming majority of cases the perpetrators are all male identifying.

Perp, S.T and tobe like this.
  5. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

How this issue intersects with left/right politics, LGTB community and feminism is really interesting.

And when i say this issue, i dont mean boys in the girls loos. I mean the wider issue of the transexual community and their relationships with women.

Below is an article by a notoriously offensive left wing feminist (warning - provocative and offensive). It was originally published in a v left wing paper and then deleted when there was a backlash and republished by a very right wing paper. Basically, a couple of feminists had a stouch with some of the trans community on twitter. Its a bit of an insight into how this is playing out.

Here is Julie Burchill's censored Observer article – Telegraph Blogs

6. BigKahuna

Yes, as everyone knows, I'm on the Far Right and I'm very conservative. I think I've made myself pretty clear-girls are entitled to their privacy and safety. If they don't want to be naked in front of a person with a penis, that right should be respected. Do you not agree? It appears you are saying that you would make your daughters change their clothes and undress in front of a boy, even though they would plead not to.

Esel likes this.
  7. BigKahuna

Oh and by the way, girls live with fear. We learn early on to walk to our car with keys in hand. We know to avoid alley ways. We're taught from an early age to be mindful of the dangers around us. We're always reading, judging our environment in an attempt to stay safe. It's unfortunate that no one can teach you compassion and empathy. The world is not experienced by women through your eyes.

8. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

I am female you know. ;)
    With 4 sisters.
    With 2 daughters.
    Just saying... ;)

S.T and Mombius Hibachi like this.
  9. BigKahuna

And you would insist that your daughters undress in front of a man, even if they told you they didn't want to. That's sad.

Xenia likes this.
  10. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

Where have I ever stated that I would insist that my children (any of them, male or female) undress in front of a man?
    If you are going to try and tear apart my opinions, please try and stick to things I actually said.

I am female. I am a mother. I am a feminist. I am an equalist. I am a leftie. I believe in diversity. I am also catholic. I am strong in my opinions and unapologetic about them. I believe in honesty. I have friends who are gay. Who are transgender. Who are straight. Who are christian. Who are athiest. Who are muslim.

I do not expect you to change you beliefs because of anything I or anyone else has to say on this issue. Or any other issue. In fact, given how passionate you appear to be, I do not expect you will ever change your mind on this for any reason. I am ok with that. You probably have even less chance of changing my mind. ;)
    I do not agree with you, But I understand where you are coming from, even if I do disagree.

I am simply putting forward my own opinion.
    And to me it really is a non issue. I do not feel passionate about it. I almost do not care. Only that when I do stop to think about it, I do not think the laws do enough to create an inclusive environment for 'all' children.

And that if any of my children were to come to me one day and tell me that they were transgender, or gay, or anything else that differs from the norm, that they would be able to live in a supportive community where their differences didnt exclude them and segregate them from everyone else. Where it didnt put them in danger because of their differences.

Perp and tobe like this.
  11. BigKahuna

Have you read any of my posts? It appears not. I have repeatedly said that girls are entitled to be in change rooms without boys. If you don't agree, why all the hyperbole and rhetoric? We get it: Youre left, progressive and inclusive. So inclusive you think it's progressive to expect girls to share a change room with boy. For someone who doesn't care sp much for an issue, you've spent an awful lot of time posting how cool you are.

Esel likes this.
  12. BigKahuna

U
    Are you more concerned for the danger to men or to women? Might wanna rethink your 'feminism'--when you've got mombis liking your posts I'd hazard a guess it's the opposite of feminism.

13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm trying to work out where this "if they don't want to be naked in front of a person with a penis" comes from. I had to read back through the thread to find out.

The topic was about unisex toilets NOT about unisex change rooms. You've changed it to change rooms, it wasn't raised by anybody else. While everybody is discussing toilets you're discussing something different.

Ed Barton, S.T and Rugrat like this.
  14. BigKahuna

All I can say is what I've said previously - that everyone is entitled to a safe space. That includes girls. What this program is foisting on our girls sends the message that they have no rights to a girl only change room. It teaches kids how to breast bind-something that is very dangerous. It also teaches boys how to tuck.

Esel and Xenia like this.
  15. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Wait, earlier in the thread werent boys and girls the same and gender just a social construct?

Mombius Hibachi likes this.
  16. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I actually liked the idea. I first saw it in our Gold Class cinema. I thought it was pretty good. Everyone has their own place for their business.

Perp and Xenia like this.
  17. BigKahuna

The program tells schools to allow boys to use whichever toilets or change rooms they prefer. My view is that er should absolutely accommodate these kids - with a separate unisex facility. And plenty of schools have them. The program does not take into account the fact that pubescent girls don't want to share toilets and change rooms with boys. Why is this government funded program not respecting their rights and wishes? One parent has already taken their child out of a school because of this program.

Xenia likes this.
  18. BigKahuna

You are born a female or a male. Nothing will ever change that- no operation or hormones. That is your sex.

Gender is masculine /feminine and all the characteristics inherent in those. Gender is something invented by our culture, society. Gender roles are constrictive and narrow. They are limiting for both men and women.

If gender were to be abolished people would be free to be fully human and themselves..

Last edited: 11th Feb, 2016
    Xenia likes this.
  19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Your opening post only mentions toilets. I can't find information anywhere else about unisex change rooms. Have I missed something?

20. Ezzo

Ezzo Well-Known Member

With respect. These children identify as being female. As far as I am concerned, they are a female only change room/toilets. (or male if we are looking at the male change rooms). Whilst I may be momentarily off guard or feel discomfort, it would be nothing compared to the struggles they are going through. They aren't in there to perve and this wasn't a choice they made. It would be an instance where I would need to check my privilege and let them be.

Rugrat, Perp and Xenia like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.