Education & Work I'm all for Safe Schools but ...

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by BigKahuna, 10th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

Schools are now being urged by a government-funded program Safe Schools to allow the boys to use girls' toilets. Parents have been taking their children out of schools where this is being implemented.

2. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Another conservative beat up by The Australian.

It's a non issue. Kids who identify as transgender are allowed to be in a comfortable environment. That's it.

Perp, tobe, JessicaP and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

What is the rationale?

Oh, transgender. Let them do what they want. Life is hard enough for these folks.

Perp, tobe, JessicaP and 4 others like this.
  4. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

An existing program that allows transgender kids to use bathroom stalls in the gender specific bathroom.

That's it. The sky is not falling.

Perp likes this.
  5. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

You are both incorrect. Children are not transgender. They may suffer dysphoria, which may last for a little while or may last longer. Most children who 'identify' as the other sex grow up not becoming transgender.

So any boy can say he 'identifies' as a girl and gain access to a girls' bathroom. How is that right?

The Olympics has now stated that trans women can now compete as women. I can see a slew of men wanting gold transitioning with the knowledge that they will win in any sport they compete in. Trans women have the benefit of male puberty.

6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I have a skewed view, as I do not know anything of transgender children.

I do have experience with transgender adults though, and most (all?) of these were transgender children.

I worked in the gender reassignment unit in Amsterdam. These people have gone through a lot. I have a lot of respect for those who are brave enough to be true to themselves in the face of immense societal discrimination.

I would like to think that if my child identified as the phenotypically opposite sex, that I would be able to show them that it really didn't (or at least shouldn't) matter. It is too much to expect society to do the same, but we should try.

Perp, Rugrat, radson and 8 others like this.
  7. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

Female toilets have stalls right? Why would it bother you what 'equipment' the person in the stall next to you has, as long as they close the door??

For those who spend their time in the toilet thinking about their neighbour, well I'm sorry if I offended you but you've probably got bigger issues....

Perp, Westminster, Lizzie and 2 others like this.
  8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Yes children grow out of transgender orientation, just like people with clinical depression can "snap out of it" with mindset, and autism is a lifestyle choice so they dont have to communicate with stupid people.

Perp, tobe, sanj and 4 others like this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would think there will be parental input. I'm sure the school isn't just going to let any boy go into the girls toilets just on a whim, because one day he has a bright idea that it would be fun.

hobo likes this.
  10. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

What if a girl identifies as a boy? Is he allowed in the male toilets? Is that still an issue too?

I went to school with several transgender people and am still good mates with one today and to see the struggles he endured through high school simply by pretending to be something he was not and trying to fit into the societal norms of a gender he was not was heartbreaking.

To see him now after he's gone through the transition he's total opposite of what he was (no pun intended). He's confident and most importantly totally at ease with himself and loving life.

They're given a tough start in life, why not make it as easy as possible and have it as what it is - a non issue.

Last edited: 11th Feb, 2016
    Perp, tobe, Westminster and 4 others like this.
  11. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

Nothing a good sunrise can't fix!

12. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

PS. Nothing good ever comes in a sentence that contains the words, "I'm not/for ... , but".

Perp likes this.
  13. THX

THX Well-Known Member

You might want to read some research before opining.

Ethical issues raised by the treatment of gender-variant prepubescent children. - PubMed - NCBI

On the subject of treating children, however, as the World Professional Association for Transgender Health notes in their latest Standards of Care, gender dysphoria in childhood does not inevitably continue into adulthood, and only 6 to 23 percent of boys and 12 to 27 percent of girls treated in gender clinics showed persistence of their gender dysphoria into adulthood.
    Further research:

A follow-up study of girls with gender identity disorder. - PubMed - NCBI

This study provided information on the natural histories of 25 girls with gender identity disorder (GID). Standardized assessment data in childhood (mean age, 8.88 years; range, 3-12 years) and at follow-up (mean age, 23.24 years; range, 15-36 years) were used to evaluate gender identity and sexual orientation. At the assessment in childhood, 60% of the girls met the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders criteria for GID, and 40% were subthreshold for the diagnosis. At follow-up, 3 participants (12%) were judged to have GID or gender dysphoria. Regarding sexual orientation, 8 participants (32%) were classified as bisexual/homosexual in fantasy, and 6 (24%) were classified as bisexual/homosexual in behavior.​

BigKahuna likes this.
  14. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Can't they just build change rooms and toilet stalls without gender attached? :confused:

Edit: that reminds me a long time ago when I visited China, some of the toilet has no separation for male and female, I.e. You'll walk in with guys peeing before getting toilet stall. Do that and problem solved

Perp and BigKahuna like this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

They don't even need to build them. Just assign one block or allow those children with this problem to go to the office and use the toilets nearby so they feel safe. Kids can be really cruel and better IMO for a child to quietly use a private toilet without risking being teased.

16. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Yeh, that's really not how it works in practice. There would be meetings with the school and school counsellors etc and the student would be supported (you would hope).

It's not like little Johnny is going to wonder into the girls toilets and get away with 'I'm transgender' as an excuse.

And what's the alternative. You have a now female student, she looks like a girl, acts like a girl and dresses like a girl. Oh hey sorry Susie, you have to go in there with all the boys, I know you're a girl now but it doesn't matter. What would that do a teenager and how would the students feel about that?

I think denying a teenager dealing with these issues the ability to use their toilet is pretty petty and evil

Perp, Rugrat, Nemo30 and 5 others like this.
  17. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

As an aside, I personally know of a primary school in a different state that had an incident with a boy going into the female toilets and inappropriately touching the girls when they there by themselves. Children at that school now must be accompanied by at least one other student when going to the toilet.

BigKahuna likes this.
  18. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Lots of places now have unisex toilets.
    I found it a bit strange at first washing my hands and talking to the man next to me who was washing his hands too.

Now I think it's a great thing.
    Good to remove the gender identification and see people as people.

Men and women are exactly the same.

Perp and hobo like this.
  19. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

Im not sure what i think about this issue. My first reaction was that i dont have an issue with a male who identifies as female using female toilets. But what about spaces like hospital wards or changing rooms at the pool?

BigKahuna likes this.
  20. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

It's hilarious to me that The Regressive Left claims that 'gender is a social construct' when it suits them and protests that transgender males benefit from superior strength when it suits them.

But hey, their entire ideology revolves around emotion, hypocrisy and lies, so it's no surprise.

Last edited: 11th Feb, 2016

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.