VIC Illegally parked/dumped car

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Chadwick, 26th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Chadwick

Chadwick Active Member

I have an investment property - a 2nd floor apartment in a block of 6. Each apartment has their own car spot which is fully owned and stated on the title, therefore is not common property.

Somebody has been permanently parked in my spot for the last 3 months. Initially neighbours confronted him and asked him to move but he stated the car was broken down and would move it as soon as it was fixed, he was also observed sleeping in the vehicle. Police were called but the man was not present when police arrived, they advised nothing could be done at this time.

He was caught stealing electricity by jumping a fence and plugging into a powerpoint in a shared laundry area. Again police were called but could not do anything as he disappeared.

He has not been seen in the last 6-8 weeks, the car tyres are now completely flat and rego plates are gone.

I don't know what to do..... I have:
    1. Spoken to Body Corp: they can't/won't do anything because it's not on common property
    2. Spoken to local council: they can't/won't do anything because it's on private property
    3. Tried to get car moved but no one will touch it as it's against the law (I haven't been able to confirm this)

In addition to all this, a tow truck is unable to get into the car park due to the size and angle of the parking spots.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'm sure that if you hang around the local shops for long enough, you'll find some kids who'll know how to fix the problem. ;)

datto, Michael Mitchell and Dan Wood like this.
  3. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Hire some “go jacks” and just move it a few meters onto common property thus making it the body corps problem haha

craigc, S.T, jim1964 and 6 others like this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

put a gumtree ad up saying "Free car"

it will be gone within a day, along with 5000 msgs asking "is it still availalble?"

6. Scott No Mates

There'll also be msgs asking for delivery :rolleyes:

7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

oh and dont forget, "are you negotiable on price, will you accept....."

Michael Mitchell and Dan Wood like this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

If the glove box is full of dope, you will be obliged to share the proceeds with your poor tenants who, as yet, haven't worked out how to get it out of their parking spot and onto the roadway. There wont be any bodies in the boot or someone would have complained about the smell already and called the police.

datto and Michael Mitchell like this.
  9. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

After reading the messages above [excepting one] who would come here for help? The poor guy who posted wanted help not jokes - probably lost a forum member ... :rolleyes:

Joynz and Michael Mitchell like this.
  10. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Not sure what you're expecting us to do? The OP has exhausted every possible avenue no?

If not you should be writing a reply that lists said solution(s) instead of complaining about the replies of others.

Essentially, you and I just added more cruddy content to the post..

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  11. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Ring up the local TAFE auto section and ask if they would like to pick up a donation for their welding/panel beating/spray painting/metal recycling class, as you need the space on your property.

It will be gone shortly.

Alternatively, drag it off your lot, and the OC will need to deal with it as debris on common property.

It seems from your post that everybody you have complained to DGAF about your problem.

And now it's your turn to repay the favour.

datto and Michael Mitchell like this.
  12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Try no 4
    Talk to the police about an abandoned car, possibly stolen. Ask them what can be done about it.

Joynz, Dan Wood and Michael Mitchell like this.
  13. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Nothing can be done if it's on private property.

14. Scott No Mates

Finders keepers?

Michael Mitchell and mikey7 like this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Surely he can claim it as his own and sell it.

Michael Mitchell and mikey7 like this.
  16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

DAA2055C-408C-4DCF-9AAC-0F47696C3C0E.png
    There will be a process - though you or the body corporate may have to pay for it to be towed scrapped etc.

The screenshot above shows advice from another thread (middle post) that says it is legal to have it towed.

Last edited: 28th Sep, 2019
  17. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Yeah fair enough, I misread it - I was referring to the cops not being able to do anything about it on private property. They can certainly provide some guidance though.

18. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

The frustration of nobody being able to do anything about this must also work in reverse.

Remove the plates, if any, and call up a wrecker and they will come and pick it up, and give you a few bucks for it (depending on the condition).

And, who is going to say anything about it, and if they do, then they will probably complain to everyone and sundry, all of which wont give a toss about their problem, as you have already experienced...

bunkai, Bunbury, TMNT and 2 others like this.
  19. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Had the exact problem in a small block of flats in Sydney. It would be pretty common. Apparently abandoned car in a spot reserved for a tenant - I suspect the car was abandoned by the previous tenant. Not a police or council matter because it was on private property. And not a strata problem because it wasn't on common property.
    I'm on the owners committee for that building and I explained to the tenant that the solution is to make it the problem of either the council, police or strata manager by moving the car. I told him he needed a trolley jack and could buy or rent some of these to put under the wheels move the car from his his private space:
    Wheel Dollies Car Tire Dolly Auto Repair Moving Positioning Trolley 2700KG Set 4 | eBay
    The car was gone a week later.

craigc, Ted Varrick, balwoges and 4 others like this.
  20. Chadwick

Chadwick Active Member

An update and bringing this to a close - after 9 months of dead ends and non-action from everyone I contacted, the vehicle has been removed.

The owner of the vehicle was caught multiple times stealing electricity from a powerpoint in the shared laundry and also threatening behavior observed against building tenants. The police attended multiple times but he always disappeared when they arrived.

Recently, the police deemed him to be trespassing and posted a note on the vehicle requesting it to be moved with 48 hours. After this time, 7 police officers physically moved the vehicle to the street and coordinated with local council to immediately tow the vehicle to a holding yard where he will have to pay to release it.

It should not have been this difficult..... something in the laws are broken if this is what it takes.....