Ignore Advice and go with gut

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by MTR, 22nd Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Here is an interesting read, these entrepreneurs ignored what their advisors recommended and basically went with their gut, and it paid off:)

5 Entrepreneurs Who Ignored Their Advisers and Became Wildly Rich

Anyone here ignore advice that at the time seemed sensible but you went with your gut and it paid off big time? Would you like to share

MTR:)

Xenia likes this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

@MTR, that is funny about Richard Branson and how he started Virgin Records. The way the financed the expansion was very dodgy and he was always going to win big or lose big. If he posted his idea on this forum now, he would be howled down and told all the reasons it would not work. And yet that strategy made him rich. Interesting, isn't it?

MTR likes this.
  3. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

The biography is a very good read.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hi MB
    what's your story:)

MTR:)

RetireRich101 likes this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I haven't made it "big time" - but the times I've gone the sensible path, and ignored the gut feeling, are the times I've bombed ...

MTR likes this.
  7. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

Articles like this s__t me. They cherry pick a handful of success stories and make it seem like ignoring the advice of people more experienced than you is a good idea.

What they also don't take into account is the fact that there are many variables outside of one's control that determine success or failure.

I didn't click on the link, because I refuse to add revenue to s__tty clickbait websites that are s__tty and clickbaity.

My story is that I have some investments and run my own business. I also have lots of people whom I talk to for advice, when I need it and I also read a lot of books/articles/blogs and listen to several podcasts that provide good advice. Sometimes going with your gut is a good idea - but the point is, the individual doesn't know whether or not it was a good idea until after the fact.

Those people in the article, whoever they are, did not succeed because they 'went with their gut'. They succeeded because a multitude of scenarios occurred in which they were able to capitalise on the opportunities that were presented to them at any given time, as well as cross their fingers and hope for the best in relation to the things they couldn't control.

2FAST4U, Sackie, SerenityNow and 3 others like this.
  8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I take advice, I ignore advice, I piece together advice from different sources and take it in a new direction.
    I invent my own advice.
    I even take advice from my kids or see answers on car number plates, street signs, movies.

When you are focused, answers come from everywhere.

However I am the one in control and holding the reins, not only in business but every aspect of my life.

Sackie, neK, Beanie Girl and 2 others like this.
  9. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

True that @Perthguy . I like to think, it's best to make a decision and go act on it. Lots of opinions, although well meaning, could impact your vision and where you want to go!

MTR likes this.
  10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

On the one hand we have this thread about going with your gut.

On the other hand there's a thread about getting rid of your gut.

There's no pleasing some people.

11. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

My gut feeling and the feeling that my fear and excitement create can be very similar. I find it difficult to separate them so usually go back to all the facts and ask other people.

Beanie Girl likes this.
  12. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

I wil take advice (and regularly ask for it) from people that are in the position I want to be in.

"Advice" from well meaning friends and family, I have learned comes from their own fear of failure and is mostly cr@p.

ellejay, Sackie, MTR and 4 others like this.
  13. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

I was told not to introduce 'pants off Friday' to my workplace. Of course I ran with it and now that I no longer worker there I dedicate all my time property investing :p

MTR, Xenia and geoffw like this.
  14. Beanie Girl

Beanie Girl Well-Known Member

an agent told me,
    "for the love of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, don't buy this property in xxxx street!!!"
    :)

ellejay, MTR, EN710 and 2 others like this.
  15. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

sweet Jesus and that was your 100th post :)

Beanie Girl and Xenia like this.
  16. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

But you took advice from Buddah and bought it.

Beanie Girl likes this.
  17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Everybody has been saying for the last ~12 months, don't buy in Sydney (including me for the last 6 or more), but the deal of a lifetime had cropped up. I may do extremely well with this purchase.

There are exceptions to general rules, you just have to know when its ok to break them, and think about what's the worst consequence that can happen if you do. If you can cope with that, then go for it by all means. Sometimes its worth going against general advice.

Sackie likes this.
  18. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

Well I think there's a difference between going with your gut and considering the advice or input from multiple sources and formulating a decision.

To me, going with your gut means ignoring the logical advice or path and doing something else because you (and your gut) think it's a better idea.

When I was at university I was given statistics from the police force - it related to detectives who investigated cases. The old school method of detective work was to go by gut feel. The new school method is to respond to hard evidence. Usually if you have a "gut feel" about a person it is because of a combination of events eg they were a bit shady, didn't make eye contact, were elusive, stand off-ish etc. Anyway the statistics showed that "gut feel" was notoriously inaccurate and as a result, police officers who relied on gut feel made incorrect judgements, poor assessments and less convictions than those who relied on hard evidence.

Flash forward to normal life and the entrepreneurs such as Branson - there will always be risk takers who challenge the norm and succeed but if you look at business as a whole you will find that these people are by far in the minority, the vast majority of start up businesses will unfortunately fail. I'd be willing to bet that for every gut feel success story there are 100 more gut feel failures!

19. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Same here

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

that's because we are all so different, we are a strange lot:)

Beanie Girl likes this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.