If You were in my position??

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by JT_85, 2nd Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JT_85

JT_85 Member

Hey all
    Need bit of advice on what approach to take.
    option 1:
    buy land and build a house or duplex, as a license builder this would be at a reduce cost then someone else (i hope)
    or option 2:
    buy an existing house.

i am looking at the long game buy and hold, but if i build a duplex i might sell one and hold the other (thoughts).

currently have 600K in equity with PPOR.

thanks

2. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Whats the numbers tell you?

Both from a resale perspective and from a cashflow perspective particularly when you factor in depreciation benefits. What are the tax consequences with the selling one? What do the numbers look like if you were to hold both?

3. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

I suppose it depends on the location
    Best to keep the land (rent the land) and avoid the building (which has depreciaton disbenefit)

4. JT_85

JT_85 Member

thanks, i guess at the end of the day it is all about the numbers, i think i will struggle to hold both a house on a duplex at first, a free standing single house would have to be the first step i think.

5. JT_85

JT_85 Member

the build is where i will hopefully make the most equity up front due to saving on the build cost and then revalue when finished.

6. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

What will be the end value of the build and how much equity would you have gained?

Established house on a block of land may be worth much more years later, vs duplex (as you would have sold one).

Land will appreciate in value and building depreciate.

In some instances you will find, its easier to buy, set and forget.

Given you are a builder, have you considered adding value to an existing property?

Beano likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia