If you were a tenant......

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by skater, 5th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Above those two are good choice as well as:
    Can you look elsewhere to find new jobs? E.g. the government has posted their website advertising positions available? Even if it meant perhaps changing your occupation?
    Imagine it is a different world from now on and we need to survive and hence would you consider doing something else, whatever it takes?
    Some of my friends have considered that (changed from say payroll to do admin for Centrelink now...as example).
    The idea is why wait to see if the job will be there instead be proactive and try to find alternatives now?
    Hopefully that helps a bit?

Sackie and skater like this.
  2. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Alot of people are on a tempory stand down for a current employer.
    If I was in a reasonably well paying job and could find another I absolutely would take it.
    Unfortunately if I was in a reasonably well paying job it is probably somewhat specialized and my skillset tailored to it.

As it happens I am in this situation, and any other work I can get is basically minimum wage / unskilled - in other words, there are not enough working hours in the week to make much of a dent in the pay difference anyway.

3. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Where does personal responsibility
    come into it? I don’t see anyone forced into spending beyond their means, but most will and then blame others.

Sackie, TMNT, skater and 1 other person like this.
  4. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

+1!
    Agree, the only thing to date I have bought on credit was assets which were and are income producing. Everything else renovations, travels, pools, cars, clothes and dining, collectibles, jewellery, and so on was always bought with cash or knowing I have cash funds available.
    At first... many tough years as migrant here, if I didn't have the funds I just would not buy until I saved first.
    Not such a strange concept many years ago where our parents and grandparents had to live in such a world.
    I may be weird, but escaping a communist country as a child and living with food and other staple shortages distrusting state governments and financial institutions there somehow perhaps left an impact on me, going forward here?

You know about a year and a half ago I was interstate buying a nice bikini for my niece in a swimsuit shop.
    There was a lady there I think maybe my age or slightly younger than me and she wished to purchase a bikini for herself too. She asked sales assistant how long can she keep this bikini for her stating her kids maxed out her credit card and I suppose she did not have any savings in her accounts or cash for that matter to pay for it.
    The sales assistant suggested she buy it as AFTER PAY, helped her to download the App into her phone and viola (it was just a new payment method than being introduced into our society as well).
    I translated and told mum this lady has no money and is buying a bikini and mum gasped, looked baffled and asked me why would she do that, why would she buy if she had no money to pay (mum is old school too)? I replied beats me, who knows, I suppose it's the new world we live in where we want instant access to everything...?

So perhaps the morale of the story is.... many don't understand or practice what delayed gratification is!

Bentley, Codie, Antoni0 and 4 others like this.
  5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I can't like these posts enough.

There is a definite trend where (some) people see needs as discretionary spending & their wants as things they need, then expecting others to pick up the shortfall.

Codie, MWI and TMNT like this.
  6. Jezzah

Jezzah Well-Known Member

That comes into the part where I say I don't like that these people are needing support because of their spending habits.
    However not liking something is not a good reason for not doing it. So yeah it sucks but we can't let 10-15% of our workforce go bankrupt.
    Its like our parents told us. We have to eat our veggies.

7. Jezzah

Jezzah Well-Known Member

I hear you. It's like Simon wrote in a different thread. If it is one worker that goes bankrupt it's their problem. But if millions of workers all of a sudden go bankrupt it's our problem.

AlphabetSoup and Angel like this.
  8. Anchor

Anchor Well-Known Member

Adversity will bring out the best and worst in society (both tenants and landlords). There is merit to arguments on both sides of tenancy. Finally what positions individuals assume wrt rent, will depend on individual circumstances (most unseen yet) and perceptions of fairness.

The biggest determinant would be the legislation and what can be enforced. National code or state legislation is acutely needed and regrettably missing. The sooner govts do their part, the better it would be for all parties.

Stay safe and empathetic.

HUGH72 and TMNT like this.
  9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

There is no way my household can answer this question.

However here is another idea that I haven't seen mentioned. Last week I was informed that my position may be classed as a non-essential service if the school students go into lockdown and I may be stood down. Staff doing my role will have to use up all of our sick leave, annual leave and LSL before being eligible to access any Special Pandemic Leave. Special Pandemic Leave is only for 20 working days, not three to six months

Perhaps your hypothetical couple can access their other leave entitlements.

30 Intrepid Court, Newport, QLD 4020, Australia I just saw this: what $850 a week gets you at Redcliffe in Qld

Last edited: 7th Apr, 2020
  10. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Good point, and something that many are overlooking. I've got a friend who's Hubby is currently still working, but she's done the calculations, and should the worst happen, they have at least 6 months of entitlements up their sleeves to get through this.

11. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Aust has one of the lowest saving rates increase the world. And now they’re crying poor hmmmm

12. Bill Williamson

Bill Williamson Well-Known Member

I find it really hard to imagine myself in this situation because two working adults should have the capacity to set aside some decent savings even with two kids. If they're unable to save then they obviously have their priorities way out of order. They can start by getting rid of **** like Foxtel Platinum. Instead of buying a two cars ranging from $40k - $60k car on finance to keep up with the Jones they can make do with a $20k car. But it isn't just renting families who are like this it seems many landlords too.

They need to learn the consequences of not saving for a rainy day and should have always had a plan B for when the bad times come and one or both of them lose their jobs.

Having said all this in their situation I would move somewhere cheaper, $800 is too much to pay for a unit. Its not like they need to be close to work. Move much further away from the city and get something better for less money.

Sackie and skater like this.
  13. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Paying for Foxtel is an essential in modern society. Paying rent is not I think.

iloveqld likes this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.