NSW If you had $1.8M to $2M to buy as a PPOR where would you buy?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jello_B, 20th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Re: Air con.

Question, are you saying there's not much air con or just there's not much ducted aircon? Two thoughts from me:
    1. Eastern Sydney has a more temperate climate than Western Sydney so it doesn't suffer the extremes so much. Western Sydney gets the extremes, Eastern Sydney's climate is much more influenced by the ocean temperature and ocean breezes keeping the climate much more pleasant.

2. In a terrace, how would a ducted system be put in. Could it be more trouble than its worth? I'm thinking the bottom floor would stay cool year round and only the top level would get warm and need air con.

I think you'll find ducted systems more in newer builds and in older properties you'll generally find stand alone aircon. I've lived in 4 houses and 2 apartments and none of them had ducted aircon.

Last edited: 3rd Feb, 2019
    chaos and Angel like this.
  2. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

Paddington is an interesting suburb.

I am looking for a downsizer pad in the area. And while Paddington is blue ribbon Sydney real estate (no doubt about that), the many terraces are rabbit warrens from a floor-plan perspective. So if baby boomer downsizers are the trend for the next 10 years, this is something to bear in mind.

Jello_B likes this.
  3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Baby Boomers don't necessarily want staircases.

Jello_B likes this.
  4. Jello_B

Jello_B Well-Known Member

Market is dropping...

The Y-man likes this.
  5. Jello_B

1. I live in Pyrmont at the moment and we have AC on every night. I’m just used to having AC I think. Did 12 months in Mosman without AC and it was unbearable.

2. Installing ducted could be $30-$50k. Need an external location, riser and bulkheads. Are there any planning / building restrictions in Paddington? I’m assuming you cannot change facades?

One of the properties I looked at had a system installed. Most has split units. I’m not a fan of splits as the air is very directional.

6. Jello_B

It’s a nice spot. Great omelette at the cafe opposite balmoral beach.

7. Jello_B

Noticed this as well, but there are a lot of terraces that have been opened up. The <$2M range all seem to be narrow blocks ~4M which makes it difficult. Need something 6-8m wide (which seems to jump the price).
    Are you saying that there will be increased demand from baby boomers to Paddington?

8. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

I’m from north of Sydney and it wins for me hands down

East is close to city by bike or moped but car or transport is sooo long. Traffic east and inner west horrific. In past ten years has become a nightmare with no parking.

Inner west - why bother when Melbourne has cheaper nicer cuter architecturally more interesting houses, better coffee, far better transport, cheaper cafes nicer people?!

Inner east I do love; Surry Hills and darlo. Diversity art creativity mess

But north is green great value..

I bought a house in beach 11mth ago 2.5 it’s now valued at 3.3...so holds value!!

I love cremorne point kurruba point lavender bay and kirribilli for sheer perfection in every category

The Bline means Collaroy 35min /mona vale 60 min from city...and Dee why new town centre looks great with a stunning beach...narrabeen is close to everything I like...

Jello_B likes this.
  9. Jello_B

Agree on Kirribilli but there ain’t many houses there. Lots of apartments. I emailed the agent about the only house for sale there anyway :p

10. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

Hang on I just realised Millers point - there are houses coming in every few months ex houso- sold 2.5 in 2016, been renovated now selling 2! I would definitely snap one up it’s such a great location and in your price range. One caveat- having owned terraces in Sydney it’s not something I would recommend (maintenance very tiresome) - but they definitely hold value.

Jello_B likes this.
  11. Cia

Cia Well-Known Member

If you like Balmain, being near the water and close to transport but an insular peninsula, checkout Greenwich. I now live in Balmain East, love the ocean baths, cafe, quiet etc, but not the parking.

I used to live in Greenwich which has an awesome ocean baths complex, small cafe strip, it's quiet, walking distance to Wollstencraft station, easy access to the city and very bushy, great walks. Plus a great school for kids that attracts good increase in value. $2mill is the entry level there, but possible to get.

Houses for Sale in Greenwich, NSW 2065 - realestate.com.au

Jello_B likes this.
  12. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I'm about to go for a run and will be heading right past it on the way back up the hill!

13. Jello_B

Haha I’m here now drinking an Aperol Spritz!

MyPropertyPro likes this.
  14. Jello_B

I will check it out, do you have any addresses?

15. John_BridgeToBricks

Exactly.

16. John_BridgeToBricks

Not really. I am saying that Paddington is not baby boomer friendly, and if baby boomers are a trend, that is not a good sign for Paddington. That said, it's a pretty robust area.

17. Jello_B

Yes this makes more sense. And also I would have thought they’d prefer quieter suburbs.

18. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

According to the stats, the population of Paddington is higher than the NSW average by age group until 50. It then gets lower. Interestingly, around 70-74 it is close to the average then goes down again

Jello_B likes this.
  19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

When I was a teen I wanted to live in a terrace in Paddington, with a brass bed, lead light windows and iron fireplaces. My bedroom was wallpapered (Mum's idea, not mine) with beautifully restored Victorian terraces. I'm a Baby Boomer but I have never had a house large enough to downsize from.

Jello_B likes this.
  20. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I'm totally biased.
    We have been working in Parramatta, Ryde & City. Each direction is about 30 minutes train. Liverpool is also about 30 min car.
    Our friends are all over Sydney but we are kind of center point for all of them.
    Olympic Park is 10 min away. Many sporting centres are around.
    Long Cycleways go through.
    Decent schools nearby.
    Good multicultural food is nearby.
    Airport is 30-40 min. Direct train to the Airport as well.
    Even beaches can be reached in 30-40 min.
    Perfect for 2 mil range.

chaos and Jello_B like this.