If you are thinking about starting Student Accommodation Please Read this First.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by fullylucky, 25th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I think the real moral of the story is that if you're not a people person, don't try and landlord in a way where you have to deal with a whole bunch of people.

Gockie, Perthguy, Excalibur1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Dangsta

Dangsta Member

We charge a call out fee if they forget their keys or need us to come sort out an issue.

You need to have more rules in place and the consequences if they don't follow it.Give them a copy of it, make them sign it when they sign the rooming agreement and show it to them when they breach the rules.

3. Rayan

Rayan Active Member

I have had this experience. But they don't bother calling me. They just grab a screwdriver and take the door down off the hinges. Then when the vacate and I take the repair out of the bond....ABSOLUTELY unacceptable.

The solution. No locks on the doors. Privacy locks only (ie they can only lock when inside the room but not when they leave). If they want to secure belongings like iPads then they buy a lockbox or a padlock for their desk. You have to keep it simple. For everything. And the added advantage is locking internal doors is a fire hazard anyway.

4. Rayan

Rayan Active Member

Most of the other complaints you have posted - I have been there too. BUT they are also posted all other the HILARIOUS tenant complaints thread as well. It's universal.

I believe Rooming Houses/Student Accommodation/Boarding Houses can actually be at an advantage because whilst we deal with the same issues (damages, uncleanliness, complaints, overusage) their are different laws relating to the relationship between landlord and tenant or in this case proprietor and occupant depending on how you are running it.

In NSW for example if you are a Registered Boarding House you do not lodge bonds with NSW Fair Trading, you provide house rules to tenants and tenants who break occupancy agreements and who require eviction for cause can be evicted without an order from the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal, using physical force or by calling the police if necessary.

These are very broad powers not available to owners of properties who lease their houses or apartments under the Residential Tenancies Act 2010 who may be stuck with non paying tenants that stay in their property for months like squatters because it can take along time to get an order from a tribunal for eviction and then get it enforced by a 'sheriff'.

Renting your premises under a lease at law is seen in most states as giving the tenants 'exclusive use of the premises' to the exclusion of the owner and landlord. Whilst Rooming/Share/Boarding Accommodation may be more hands on, it also means in the event there are any issues you do have the power to give 2 weeks notice (or whatever is provided in your agreement) to the unruly tenant and get them to move on. Fuss free.

Keep the good ones. Anyone not following the signed agreement with the house rules clearly set out gets two weeks notice and is out. Your life stays very happy and very peaceful.

5. fullylucky

fullylucky Well-Known Member

new one for today:

Told to read the rules on paper regarding giving early notice before moving out (2 weeks), "I know the rules" *doesn’t read them*. When moving out just give 3 days notice. We decided to move to Gold Coast, why you deduct bond??

6. fullylucky

fullylucky Well-Known Member

this one from last month.

install 3m hooks to hang keys for room so keys don't get lost + easy access.
    labelled keys (light stuff only).

tenant *hangs heavy **** on it*

"oh it was like that when I got the room"

3m.jpg

7. AlbertWT

AlbertWT Well-Known Member

Usually, people doing this for Cash in hand rental, which is quite common in Sydney CBD areas.

8. Luckycharm

Luckycharm Well-Known Member

Sounds like youve had a bad run, @fullylucky you poor dear. Have you considered getting one of those bear traps onto these awful tenants? They sound like they could use some of your style of justice ;)

9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Was prolly trying to escape from trap when 3m hook gave way......

I think he said it was cash.....and some were suspect terrorists too....

A real bad run this last 12 months.......

AlbertWT likes this.