If this is legal then I think it's pretty damn dodgy

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Gockie, 22nd Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I open up all my mail, I see a letter from Reader's digest for an Australian Handyman mag Subscription, telling me they sent me a magazine and they are asking me to pay for the subscription. Now I had a subscription in the past but I had NO intention of renewing it.

So I look for a phone number on the letter to talk to their customer service or accounts team to cancel it... there's nothing on the front of the letter. There's just a list of ways to pay, and a phone number if you want to pay.. automated service, of course.

(Finally I find a contact number for account enquiries... its in the "easy payment options" section on the back of the letter.:mad:)

The back of the letter also says, "Our records show that we have not received your payment"
    (Well, obviously as I didnt ask for it):rolleyes:
    "Please send us your payment immediately"
    Ummm... fat chance.....

Readers Digest are just the dodgiest....
    I reckon even worth reporting the ACCC.
    2016-04-22 17.24.14.jpg

2. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

• Call them, will end up in a call centre.
    • Use the choicest of expletives or speak to the supervisor. Both equally effective.
    • The person at the other end will just say, "Sorry that was a mistake. We are giving you the copy complimentary. "
    • End of story.

3. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

Usually when you sign up for these kind of subscriptions, they put you on auto-renew unless requested to cancel:confused:.
    Have to be very careful with them.

Luke T likes this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

These sort of things are unenforceable.

You cannot have a contract like this:
    "I will buy your X of $Z
    If I don't hear from you within 23 hours I take it you have accepted my offer and will be bound."

I can't remember what the term is for this sort of thing.
    Happens a lot. The Police union even do it - put an ad in their magazine for you without even asking and then bill you for it.

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Same as the smoke alarm checking service letters I got a few years ago from the property agent. "You agree to accept the service with a $99 annual charge unless you opt out"... (note, this is referring to a strata property NSW)
    Ummm... no. Unless legislation had changed...

Btw. I've noticed strata buildings tend to do annual fire safety checks as part of building management these days. That makes more sense. The whole building is checked in one hit more or less and not just individual units having one call out at a time. (Hopefully the service is done at a more reasonable cost!) Anyone who cant provide access the first time is given a second chance then beyond that there's an additional charge.

Last edited: 22nd Apr, 2016
    Luke T likes this.
  6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

You can ignore it without any implications against you.
    It is a form of marketing for them, they win a few clients who have no idea they can just ignore it.

Not an ethical way to do business by any means, they have not demonstrated value and the client is not there by choice.