If restrictions are lifted, are you going back to normal straight away?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 17th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

If Restrictions are lifted, will you go to OK places/events/activities straight away?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    31.5%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    68.5%
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

all this talk about lifting certain restrictions in the next few weeks,

so if they said in 4 weeks you can go back to restaurants, pubs, go to a concert, go to the gym,

will you do these things straight away?

Im a bit skeptical and will definitely stay away for a few extra weeks

dont want to be one of the statistics that the government says "oops, new infections everywhere, we relaxed a bit early"

look at the US, clearly evident that they moved wayyyyyyy too late

Last edited by a moderator: 17th Apr, 2020
    Rugrat likes this.
  2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Things aren't going to go straight back to normal. It's going to be a slow and careful approach, in stages. It'll be monitored, measured, then more restrictions will be relaxed.

I think the first things they'll do will be aimed at getting people back to work, but still encourage people to work from home where they can.

Restaurants & pubs will be quite a bit later, but initially with only limited numbers allowed.

Concerts and gyms will be one of the last things. That's when you'll know life is back to 'normal'.

Unrestricted international travel will depend on other countries and could take years. I think this will also be reopened in stages. Probably New Zealand first, the rest of the world a lot more slowly. Other countries will need to demonstrate they've effectively eliminated the disease.

The wildcard is a vaccine. Best case we won't see that before the end of the year and then it will still take quite some time to deploy. Australia will open up internally quite quickly once that's rolled out, but incoming travellers will likely need to demonstrate vaccination or enjoy time in quarantine.

Last edited: 17th Apr, 2020
    Brady, sqe, Rugrat and 5 others like this.
  3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Nope!
    However I would allow my daughter to return to gymnastics if that was allowed again - with all the extra cleaning, hand sanitising, reduced numbers etc they had in place for their last 2 weeks of opening before all gyms were shut down.

Nb: providing Perth was still low numbers

Gockie likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I plan to be fairly cautious for the first few weeks.

kierank likes this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

In all honestly - the only things that would change in my life is that Junior would head back to school (driving herself) and I'd be able to lunch with girlfriends, which I usually do one-on-one anyhow ... so not much would change.

Wouldn't mind a day of a window shopping ramble through the shopping centre for winter clothes ... and a haircut.

Otherwise - we already take the dogs for walks twice a day and say hello (from a distance) to a lot of the locals - been to Bunning twice in the last 3 days (and hubby went another 2 times the days before that as he was doing repairs on an IP) - supermarket once a week - had the tree lopper out yesterday - dragging the new gardens into some sort of decent order - talking online to the builder and draftsman ... so nothing much has changed in my life under "iso"

sqe, kierank, wylie and 2 others like this.
  6. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

I hope I can continue working from home a few days a week.. also being able to visit remote parks and beaches would be good as that is what I do nearly every weekend. I still don't see that as too risky as you are usually always a few metres apart from people anyhow.

International travel will be the curly one.. I think there will be pressure to open it up eventually (by business, and tourism related industries), but mandatory quarantine is still going to the norm for a while, which won't make it too attractive anyway.

7. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Have kind of enjoyed not having to see the inlaws....

gman65, shorty, Angel and 3 others like this.
  8. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

The key point here is that it would be a personal choice.

even if you dont use it, knowing the freedom is there is a huge psychological positive.

HUGH72 and Gockie like this.
  9. zagi

zagi Member

I stopped going to places like gym and restaurants even before they were officially ordered to close, so I'm intending to keep away from them for awhile even when they're allowed to be back in business.

Public transport will be tricky. I'll try to work from home for as long as I can, but once everyone gets back to their offices, I'll probably commute with a mask for protection of myself and others. I think masks should be mandatory at least in public transport given that you can't really know when you become infected and you can easily spread it to others in cramped space.

Toon and Jess Peletier like this.
  10. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

My husband and I are so boring, homeboby people and the changes we needed to do to our lifestyle due to virus were minimal. I am missing catching up with my friends and (some) relatives and go out to our favourite cafes. About work... I would go back to my old rythm, working from the office 4 days a week and 1 day a week from home. Hence pretty quickly our life would be back to normal pre-pandemic ways.

11. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

The two things I miss most is overseas travel and restaurant dining.
    So yes to dining-out, but airline-travel might have to wait a bit.
    Everything else can wait and will only do slowly.

12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

My work has not changed much - other than not going out to the campus a few days a week during semester.... oh and the fact that there is someone else now working at home....

The Y-man

13. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

We will implement our personal lockdown for at least an extra month.

If new Covid-19 cases don’t flare up, then we will slowly come out of our personal hibernation.

TMNT, Rugrat, Toon and 1 other person like this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention - hubby still goes "out" to work, so really no change on the home front except that I've got a teen with her p's stuck with no where to go

15. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, we would still socially distance, but we would likely see more local family whom we haven't been able to see.

I would have to evaluate the school situation, after school activities and such on a case by case basis, depending on local active COVID-19 cases and risks.

I do imagine that with the pressure on schools, they will possibly be wanting students to return before I am ready to sent them back. Our school (an independent school) definitely seem to want parents to continue sending kids as per normal even now, despite the state educations stance on the issue. Although they are supportive of parents either way, you can tell that they are more on board with the prime minister's statements in keeping schools fully open. :/

kierank and Peter_Tersteeg like this.
  16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Sounds painful. Worse than constipation.

craigc and Lizzie like this.
  17. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Jumping back into the gym with gusto.
    2 feet in and don't look back.
    Keep all the rules in check - Problem solve.

Only thing I miss is traveling oversea once or twice a year.

Casteller likes this.
  18. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Meeting new people or old acquaintances, in a work setting or in one's personal life will we ever start shaking hands again?

19. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Straight back to normal other than visiting elderly parents.

MTR likes this.
  20. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I will be heading to the hairdressers ... :D

wylie, Lizzie and Tillie like this.