If I sell my PPR before living there for 1 year, will I incur any tax?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by wirtandi, 1st Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wirtandi

wirtandi Member

Simple question but there seems to be conflicting information out there. If someone sells their PPR (Primary Place of Residence) before 1 year, will they incur any tax or anything important at all? This is for Victoria.

Thank you in advance.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

it will depend on the circumstances. There is no requirement to hold more than 12 months for the exemption though.

craigc likes this.
  3. Curious2019

Curious2019 Well-Known Member

Generally no income tax if it was your main residence and you didn’t have another main residence at the same time. If you buy another PPOR you will have to pay stamp duty again though (or for the first time if you were a first home buyer the first time around).

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

1. Was it your main residence and 2.Did your partner own other property at the same time

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia