If a house is next to a Park (side of the house is a park with a fence)...

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by 3k_Alan, 2nd Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. 3k_Alan

3k_Alan Well-Known Member

Is it good if a house is next to a local park? One fence separates park.

What are the pros and cons? and resell value?

There is 1 gang tag (spray paint opposite the house) where the fence looks like it was painted over but the same gang tag is there.

Has anyone lived in a house where they are next to or behind or in front of a park?

Any issues?

The park has mostly kiddy playground but also half a netball/basket ball court. Would this be an issue?

The house is for my family to live in not an investment property.

What do you guys think?

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Is the property in Brisbane,or elsewhere?...

3. 3k_Alan

Brisbane, the park isn't a huge park. 130m by 70m

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have several streets nearby where a large natural reserve sits between the back yards right down the street. We know someone who lives backing onto one of these. She says it is great for the privacy, green space, treed outlook, but the downside is she does get some less-desirable people entering over her back fence.

I'd say in her case, the upside is offset by the downside. I believe in these streets, the upside value add is higher than the downside.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Council will not pay for fence repair or replacement under the dividing fences act.

6. willair

Brisbane a big area,but just to give you a example any gang tags within the area we live in are painted over the next morning ,just depends on the location ,but that gang may think they own that park..

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I don't have a fence down one 45m side of my property, we have all sorts of people walking past, I often get to chat to the regulars ;)

As does my favorite Aunt, she sides onto park land and tennis courts
    (she mows an extra 10m wide for years, even the council think she owns the extra now ! )

So it all comes down to Location Location Location :cool:

The only real downside to your situation is that when the fence requires replacement you will wear the entire cost :(

Tom Rivera likes this.
  8. 3k_Alan

hey thanks for your valuable info.

But it sounds like that's a huge issue? People entering over her back fence??!

the fences of this house are fairly high but not if people have ladders.

What if you rebuilt the fences and to a very high height, would it remove the downside completely?

9. 3k_Alan

Ok so you can't go 50:50 and you have to pay it 100% yourself?

what are the chances council will rezone the park and later someone else builds on the land? not likely?

the back and left side of the house are the park... like west side and south side 100% park.

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think she only once had someone jump her fence. This is quite an upmarket area, but the other thing is that feeling at night that anyone could be standing in that reserve watching you. Curtains fix that of course, but her beautiful modern house had huge glass doors and she lived on her own.

So, probably she was nervous because of being a woman alone more than the actual risk, which was minimal. I know another older couple backing onto a similar reserve (next street over) and they didn't have any issues with it.

And now I think of it, another friend backs onto a different reserve. When our kids were younger, I would have loved to back onto a huge reserve.

11. 3k_Alan

who pays for the repainting? do you go out and paint over them yourself? broken window theory?

12. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I think being on a park is good thing.
    Probably council rules about max fence height. Also might reduce sunlight to yard. Really you have to be pretty motivated to go over a 1.8m high fence. Also not a quick exit which is a requirement of house break targets 101. Just make landing area along inside of fence uninviting or hard. I would paint over the tag myself if council doesn't do it. Mine will on a phone call. Really how often do you replace fences if damaged. Ask you insurance how much would be covered if damaged by a storm.

13. Scott No Mates

They are exempt.

It is community land, Council is merely looking after it for the community. It requires a planning proposal, public display & ministerial approval to reclassify community land to operational land.

Stoffo likes this.
  14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I back onto a park. We fenced it ourselves when the children were babies and never contemplated asking anyone else for part payment, council or not.

The council gave me and the neighbours letters to take to their nursery to help ourselves to as many trees as I wanted which i planted 6 metres behind my fence - I have all the shade i want now. They send contractors around regularly to mow the park and the walkway and they keep the park in great condition. It is used every day by walkers and joggers and often by children playing. It does not bother us at all.

About twice in 30 years there were problems with naughty teens running amok in the wee hours but the police were there in about three minutes and the offenders read the riot act. They didn't re-offend. The second time was a different household who moved in, same result.

My profile says it is Paradise here

wylie and Stoffo like this.
  15. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I agree, once in a blue moon/years between trouble is far better than neighbors :p 20181002_155409.jpg

16. willair

No Alan,BCC has a crew of workers that clean up the mess-maybe subbies ,sometimes the Police come and take pictures of the tags -but I guess it keeps people employed ..

17. Scott No Mates

So we should be grateful to the gangs that go around tagging public property as they give meaning to council workers jobs?

18. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Yes hopefully giving a union man/woman a job. Flip side your rates pay for it.

19. willair

I think they may subcontract the work out Scott..And I don't know the sobering statistic on what happens..

But I,m told in some of the old stone heritage building's within the CBD ,if you know what to look for the convicts who were stone masonry trades would tag their work , maybe it started with the convict's..

20. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

drug deals (I am not joking)

make sure you have a good fence and a lot of trees shrubs on the parks side so people don't walk too close to the fence/house