Ideas to improve looks of front yard

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by NWHunter, 22nd Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NWHunter

NWHunter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Front yard of newly bought house is bit mess, hardly any good lawn grass left there, too much of weeds.

Any recommendations for how to give better look for front yard lawn area?

2. NWHunter

3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It probably has suffered from neglect and probably not enough sunshine.

I'd rip it up, spray for weeds, wait a week or so, spray again then get some roll on suitable for the area (traffic, light etc)

But consider the area holistically to your lifestyle as well:
    - do you want to fence it in to use it?
    - will you use it at all? maybe fake lawn would be better if it's hard to get a mower to it

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It also depends on the street view. I can't quite tell from the picture what the aspect is. It looks as if the front may be to the left of the picture, with a metal fence behind some plants, with a brick retaining wall to the right of the picture.

It also depends on your budget, and whether it's ppor or an IP. You don't want anything requiring maintenance if it's a tenanted property.

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Is it actually used as a lawn area? Do you need it to be lawn? Looks like it would be a pita to mow so why not rip the lawn out, put some stepping pavers down for access and plant beautiful easy care, low maintenance cottage plants - the birds and bees would love you and you'll get something pretty to look at

7. NWHunter

Thanks guys, here are bit more details :
    1) this lawn is on left side of front. the stairs next to retaining wall you see in pic is where we head to garage/in-out (i.e front entry of house)
    2) this is our PPOR
    3) it is lawn area but never used (by kids or so).
    4) it has suffered from neglect but has enough sunshine.

5) @Lizze ...thanks for your idea .."put some stepping pavers down for access and plant beautiful easy care, low maintenance cottage plants - the birds and bees would love you and you'll get something pretty to look at"
    >>> Any images from web you can share with us so we get some visualization please?
    And roughly what cost we looking to implement that idea?

6) Do you need it to be lawn?
    >> not really, thus we are open for some ideas. Prefer low maintenance idea.

Please suggest some ideas and if possible please post the photo ideas.

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Google - paved path with cottage garden australia - the results are endless.

paver path with cottage garden australia - Google Search

Path can be pavers or crushed granite or crazy paving or decking or whatever takes your fancy. Cost will depend on how much you do yourself, what you make your path out of, whether you buy mature plants or 'quick start' punnets .... personally I'd go crushed granite - punnets as they reach full size within months anyhow - get your mulch from local council or tree lopper and spend a hard couple of weekends ... then all done

9. NWHunter

Thanks Lizze, I got your point now. But problem here is, there is no access path in that lawn area. Entry/Exit is done via those steps next to retaining wall. So Im not sure how to put the paver path :( Any further hint?

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Oh sorry - thought you crossed the grass to get to the garage ... in that case just rip out the grass and plant a garden and be done with it

11. NWHunter

Sorry Lizzie, I'm struggling to get right picture. Given that it's not walking part....can you please point out some sample ideas/photos

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

google "cottage garden australia" and go to images ... plenty of ideas there

Ketsle likes this.
  13. Ketsle

Ketsle Well-Known Member

She is trying to say if you don't use it as a thoroughfare whatsoever then just rip the grass out use the soil underneath to plant other plants and let it run its course :)

Lizzie likes this.
  14. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Looks badly compacted. Pretty easy fix over @ 9-12 months

1. Lawn Aeration Service | Grass Aeration - Oz Aeration call Steve. Lovely Irish guy. It will cost you somewhere @ $100 to have it aerated and another $50-100 for him to do a full weed treatment and fertliser treatment. Water it really deeply the day after the aeration.
    2. wait a week or so.... mow it again. Then apply a soil wetter. You can buy spray on @ Bunnings
    3. water it deeply twice a week instead of regular light watering. 25 - 30mil each time - twice a week before 8am is best. If you don't know how much that is...put a small tuna can out on the lawn. when it's full - you have watered enough.
    4. repeat the aeration and fertliser/weed treatment in September/October - ie early Spring
    5. Add topsoil. 80/20 mix sand and soil. Maybe a light covering of gypsum if the soil has a lot of clay...

It should recover well after that . Then just keep up regular mowing, deep watering and fertlising , and get it aerated annually in Spring. And I dont mean aeration via wrap around spiky sandals or a pitchfork. I mean a real coring machine. :)

Lawns are hardy. They can be fixed pretty easily with some patience and persistence.

Last edited: 8th Mar, 2019
    Redom and wilso8948 like this.
  15. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Spending too much time on Lawn fanatics facebook page @euro73? Next you'll be referring to lawn maintenance as the real "renos".

16. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

Nope... I know what real reno's are... believe me.:)

But I do consider a good lawn the sign of a good homeowner, and simple aeration ,fertilising and watering does wonders if people do them regularly...

17. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

The page is well worth a look trust me. Some fantastic advice on there. Many people skip the first steps and go straight to watering. Like anything, get the foundations right and the rest will follow.

18. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My intire front yard is paths, driveways and gardens. Birds love it.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia