Ideas to fit bath through doorway.

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Vacant, 27th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

Any ideas on how to squeeze a 1800x1075x480 through a standard internal door? Haven't measure but I'm guessing 820 wide doorway.

My wife has found a nice stone bath tub that she wants to put in our bathroom. The only two ways I can see it happening is by knocking out the wall a bit or flipping it on its side, which would be fine except it weighs damn near 200kgs.

I haven't bought the thing yet but if I can find a way to get it in I'll get plenty of brownie points. I think it's a lost cause but someone may have done it before.

Attached Files:

2. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

it's 480 deep?

turn it on it's side - 200kg isn't much between four people.

also why not an insulated poly bath? you know how much heat the stone sucks out of the water and then radiates out in to the room? those stone baths stay warm for about 10 mins.

3. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Id hazard a guess that a removalist would have a heavy duty tri-wheeled trolley that will be able to be manoeuvred in and around a house including through internal doors. Assuming its in a wooden crate...? They would also be experienced and insured. Im sure they would sting you on price.....but hey, those brownie points may be worth it, and so will your back.

pinkboy

4. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

It'll be fairly awkward to hold on its side I would think? It's on a pallet at the moment. Hadn't thought of a removalist. That's worth looking into.

5. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

if it's worthwhile, you'll find a way.

Sackie and 158 like this.
  6. 158

158 Well-Known Member

From the measurement 480 is OA depth, so less the tub thickness! :eek:

Be an awkward lift for 4 people if its not in a crate.

pinkboy

7. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Call up some piano movers. They often do an end of day return to depot jobs for cash. 2 huge islander guys will turn up with shoulder harnesses and throw that in the bathroom in a few mins :)

Also good for moving slabs of granite/stone

Andrew H and Perp like this.
  8. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Just don't look at the entrance to the bathroom, what is the path from the truck to its end point.

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We had exactly this problem. Ended up having hubby, plumber and two other people manoeuvre it in on its end. Stone baths are heavy :D. They do hold the warmth for longer than ten minutes though ;), and they look amazing.

If you don't have some big buff blokes who can manoeuvre it in, I like the idea of the piano movers. We couldn't fit ours through the hallway in its crate. It HAD to come out and it was hard to grip, so smooth on the sides. Hubby made up a wheeled giant skateboard to get it through the house with a giant pool noodle taped to it to try to prop it on its side and minimise the actual "lift" time.

I wasn't home when it went in, thank goodness. I would have been fretting and offering unwanted advice to everyone.

10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just pull the door off ,,820 wide door way on a angle this will walk straight in and that depends on the turning angle inside the bathroom and if all the gear is stripped out internal and a bare work face..imho.

11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Go through the window, they're easy to take out. It will save walking it through the house ;)
    Then just a sheet of ply where the window was

Westminster likes this.
  12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'll vote for window too as it might be easier than the door depending on how much packing there is around the bath.

But like the other have said on it's side will also work

13. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

Window won't work unfortunately. Too much to navigate around the side of the house. Might bite the bullet and hope for the best.

14. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

A couple of big Kiwi bro's would do it easy manually.

15. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

How very fortunate that I'm one half of that combination. Not quite a 'bro' per se but certainly a big kiwi.

16. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

You'll be sweet, just call cuz around to give you a hand.

Westminster likes this.
  17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The other thing one of our sons did was measure the bath on our back patio, make a cardboard mock-up to see if it would go through the doorways before we even had to get it in the bathroom. We have a door from living into a tiny hallway and it had to be turned around to get in the bathroom. Using the full size cardboard mock up made it easier to work out how best to do the turns needed without having to work it out whilst holding a 160kg bath.