ideas please for negotiating lower rent please

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by justine77, 17th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

close friend has hit hard times and they want to put up his rent
    he would love to find ways to buy but cant get deposit together.
    maybe some of you have ideas for overcoming that. so he can get a deposit together to buy
    but for the moment does anyone have examples of ideas of how to negotiate a rent increase so that its lower or delayed please.

2. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Not sure you're going to find many ideas on how to decrease or prevent/delay increases on rents on this forum. Most people here are investors looking for ways to increase rents.

Here's a thread with an article I wrote that might be of assistance to your friend though....

Back to basics...

Last edited: 17th May, 2017
  3. pjames

pjames Well-Known Member

The only thing I can think of is for them to ask if there is any maintenance they want done or painting etc.

4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Depends which state?

Sasim likes this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I guess you can only try.
    As for leveraging your situation by pointing out maintenance issues etc that have never been a problem . Would irk me up the wall as a landlord

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Perthguy

In Victoria I tried to put the rent up $5 per week. Tenant presented comparable properties at lower prices than I wanted, I presented comparable properties at my price or higher. The tenant left thankfully. Terrible tenant! The new tenants were superb.

TMNT likes this.
  7. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

$5??
    I think as a tenant you should reasonably expect the rent to at least go up in line with inflation.
    $5 on a $400 property would only be 1.25%

8. Perthguy

It was $280 and I wanted $285. That was 10 years ago. I sold the property, it was renovated and is now rented out for $300 a week. It is a myth that rents increase. $20 pw over 10 years is a lot lower than inflation. This is Melbourne though, not Sydney. In Perth of course, the rent would have had negative growth.

TMNT likes this.
  9. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

It sounds like your friend needs to sit down and have a long hard look at his situation.

He'll need to find out what is wrong and where he wants to go. Then work backwards on developing a solution.

If the rent keeps rising he might just have to move.

Oh....and chin up!! There is ALWAYS a way!!

Last edited: 17th May, 2017
  10. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

let the landlord know he is facing hard times and needs a bit of help. If landlord is not kind enough, probably better off for him to find a cheaper place to stay or rent-share.

It will be hard to negotiate if rent is not dropping in that city. Which city is he in?

Another option is to rent from NRAS, he might qualify.

Braedan Young likes this.
  11. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

He could always find a lodger ...

The Y-man likes this.
  12. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Some lenders may count rental history as genuine savings. This might be worth exploring when pondering how to get a deposit together and where to secure finance.

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@justine77 - A change of tenant will cost the owner at least a week's rent in letting fee + any vacancy or advertising cost, that's worth at least 4% to the owner to keep a sitting tenant. This equates to an increase of $20 on $500/wk rent.

Bonz likes this.
  14. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

To be honest if your friend can't save a deposit and the prospect of what is likely a minor rental increase is an issue they might not want to sign onto a commitment like a mortgage until they examine the rest of their financial situation.

Move out and finder cheaper accommodation, increase their income and or decrease their current expenditure. Identify the problem and resolve it - this is how you get ahead, not trying to negotiate down a rental increase which is rightly expected.

Anthony Brew, mikey7 and Perthguy like this.
  15. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Jus, has your close friend uploaded a Youtube video to social media of his pet termite farm? With contact details for discount exhibition entry during weekends?

16. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

100% agree

Saving for a mortgage is the least of their concerns right now.

Back to the initial question. Is the area in high demand for rentals? If not - then perhaps your friend could mention that they're intending to move if the rent is increased. If it were my IP - and in an area where I could have delays in replacing a tenant...I wouldn't mess around with the small increase and just leave the rent as is for another year.

Different story if you've got loads of tenants waiting to move in....then your friend is going to have to find the extra cash.

Cheers

Jamie

17. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

To counter the rent increase the tenant could offer to enter a longer lease, say 12 months instead of 6 months. The owner might see this as a benefit.

Unless market is crashing rent on a resi wont be decreased

18. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

can he get cheaper rent on a comparable basis? take that infor and negotiate with the landlords.
    Dont bluff, prepare to move if you can't agree on a reasonable price and moving is a cheaper option.

If the current market rental is in line with the current landlord asking price then just pay up

but if I am a landlord and people show me evidence they are in financial trouble and able to demonstrate that they have a plan to get back on track, I wouldn't put up rent, I may even reduce their rent for a short while.

19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Coming from a slum Lord . I don't think I've raised any of my rents except one by $5 . I've actually cut on about 40% of them to get a tenant.

One of the drawbacks of being a slum Lord according to my experience.

And that's in 4 years

Perthguy likes this.
  20. Perthguy

:)

Mine was in a reasonably good area of Melbourne... but it was a below average house ;)

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.