Ideas needed! Need street appeal for this rental!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Saminem, 20th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Saminem

Saminem New Member

Really needing some ideas and advice on how to transform, freshen up, modernise the facade and landscaping of our property. We are wanting to increase rental return.
    Who can help with ideas?! All welcome!
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

It seems fine? I wouldn't have thought that sort of stuff would be a cost effective way to increase rental return.

Probably better off putting in air con or something actually functional.

3. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Rentals are basically a commodity to most tenants.

Its only the practical things that will make a difference... number of bedrooms, bathrooms, and carparking. Followed closely (depending on local market) by the expectation of aircon and dishwasher.

Street appeal is pretty unimportant to someone signing up to live for somewhere twelve months at a time.

4. Maplesmatta

Maplesmatta Active Member

brickedge — Postimages[​IMG] A brick edge is easy and defines a garden well. If it was my place id run a straight edge along the drive and
    s shape/ovalshapes around the grass.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think the driveway edging would help visually, but won't get you any more rent. I can't see but I'm assuming there is an open carport?

Depending on area, being able to lock a car behind a roller door is important. If this is missing, then that would possibly be something worth doing, but it won't be cheap.

Does the house have air-con? Dishwasher? Place to sit outside under cover? If not, I would look at adding those things.

Corkey and Saminem like this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Street appeal won't help with the yield. On the otherhand, a sparkly new kitchen/bathroom may.

Corkey and Saminem like this.
  7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Already neat and tidy.
    Cant see anything increasing rental return.
    If you install gardens etc that need upkeep or extra work, it may become less attractive to tenants who don’t want the responsibility of gardening.

Saminem likes this.
  8. Spring_sun

Spring_sun Active Member

You want to make outside “modern”, but is it modern inside already? If you make outside nice and shiny, but it’s dated in the kitchen/bathroom areas, you will probably disappoint potential renters who expect new feel throughout the house. I know I would be disappointed :oops:

And how much do you want to spend on “street appeal”?

If it was my PPOR I would think about putting weatherboards and define front garden/yard better. But will it significantly increase the rent? Dunno

9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The only way maybe is -remove the fox tail palm tree and all the rock's plant's ect and install a front deck to change the front ..
    Not sure even with that capital outlay that the rental returns could be increased as it seem fine just the way it is..

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This post made me go back and look for the foxtail palm. That is huge. I cannot believe our landscaper suggested those for our townhouses, going into a garden bed that is ~18 inches wide between visitor car park and retaining wall, basically on rock.

Perhaps ours would not have grown too big being on rock. We knew they get big, but had to get them ticked off as part of the DA, so had to go ahead.

They are gone now. It was such a bad plant choice from a landscape architect who should have known better.

11. Saminem

Saminem New Member

Thanks so much for your input

12. Saminem

Saminem New Member

Thank you so much for this, looks like a nice easy job to do too!

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia