Ideas for improving the covered area in backyard

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by NWHunter, 20th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NWHunter

NWHunter Well-Known Member

Bought this house recently and looking for some inputs on way to improve this covered area in backyard. Likewise, plan is to clean/start using the pool which is covered currently.

We would like to leave that threadmill undercovered area as its not possible to move inside house due to dimensions. Any cosmetics recommendations for better looking covered area are highly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Attached Files:

• ss.jpeg
      ss.jpeg
      File size:
      173.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

PPOR or IP?

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

A good pressure clean of the existing paving would improve things enormously.
    Marg

Joynz likes this.
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

If PPOR,

• open up the house to the back as much as possible - convert windows to doors
    • deck the rear to the pool
    • glass pool fence
    • nicer awning/patio cover
    Probably cost $20K or so when all done.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  5. NWHunter

NWHunter Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, this is our PPOR. But may be in next 5-10yrs, we plan to rebuild/reno.
    So for now, just looking to some decor/cosmetic ideas for better feel.

6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Am guessing you probably won't get rid of the pool, so renovate that with nice pool fence and decking.

7. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

It's obvious why you want to give this space a makeover.... it's a concrete & colorbond oasis...

Here's my 2 cents:

1. You need to introduce something living. Suggest vertical gardens either side of shed.

2. All that concrete/brick is too much. Suggest paint brick wall between 2 doors as feature wall section.

3. That very low patio would be very hot. Suggest lining underside with timber panels/batens to help diffuse heat & add a softer texture to the concrete & steel jungle.

4. Pool fence a bit blahhh. .. Suggest replacing section along patio with frameless glass pool fence

IMO, these simple DIY changes will transform the space on a budget if you want to keep the existing patio (i wouldn't)

8. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

What @Indifference said.

Depending on what things you do/do not do, you could also introduce some green with a carpet of fake (plastic) grass on the ground under the pergola area (and perhaps beyond).

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Do you need the shed or can the shed go somewhere else? I think moving it and putting some plants there would make a big difference.

Then give everything a massive pressure washer clean.

Consider
    - painting or rendering the rear wall of the house in a nice light colour
    - replacing the pool fence with some DIY panels from Bunnings. They have some more modern aluminium but also a glass range which is quite affordable Search - Our range
    - get a shoe rack to store shoes
    - if you don't like the colour of the flooring then you can use paving paint over the top

Its hard to say much more as I can't see the context to the rest of the yard

10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

If you dont want to render the brick walls, then add a few large screens, either timber-look or the cut-out designs. A couple more can "break up" some of the colourbond fence. Select greenery (plants) considering all the reflected sun and heat.
    Please remove the bouncy curtain in the kitchen window.

11. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

Some planters and plants along the fence would. are a huge difference

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

For me the pool fence is very ugly, and I'd want to replace that low-feeling patio and not have so much paving.

But when you say "cosmetic renovations" I'm wondering what the bigger plan is? Will you do a makeover when you've been there a bit longer?

If so, I'd hold off, get a box to put all the shoes and toys into (if they do stay outside), pressure wash the paving, spray the pool fence black and live there until you decide what to do.

I'd have to change that patio roofline, but it does a job now (as does the pool fence). What is the big plan?