Ideal retirement age

Discussion in 'Financial Independence, Retire Early (FIRE)' started by Realist35, 9th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I did it last year at 52. I could have gone out 5 years ago..but it would have been too early.

iloveqld, Antoni0, samiam and 3 others like this.
  2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I think the secret to a long life is loving what you do every day ie waking up and being excited about the day ahead - whatever that may be. In my case, I'd love to be flashpacking around the world and on an endless road trip.

Ironically I may be in a position to do that financially in a few years but with a family and school aged kids, I'm anchored.

As for the ideal retirement age - ASAP, the younger the better.

Last edited: 15th Feb, 2020
  3. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

My plan is 45. Bought my first place at 18 (now 29) and so far projections should see me there. 48 at the worst.

Realist35 likes this.
  4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

53. Plan was 55

Realist35 likes this.
  5. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Then you die at 58....

my dad loved his job , retired at 80 and died at 93

the reason those people died at 68 is they had nothing to do . Nothing to do except play golf and you can only do so much of that ( assuming you actually like it .... )

retiring isn’t something I’m looking at . I’ll probably work part time and then emerge myself in other activities , take regular and longer holidays , but “ retire “ ?

never . You need to keep your brain and body active .

cliff

Todd, iloveqld, Cousinit and 4 others like this.
  6. DavidG

DavidG Active Member

My father died @ 65 ( stroke ) didn't get to retire , my 2 other close friends father's also died the next 12 months after mine also 65 and still working . I'm retired 62 because of medical issues its been 2 years but one thing I know for certain now is Melb is not the place to be retired unless you like sitting indoors for very long periods until the good weather returns .

Stoffo, lixas4, samiam and 4 others like this.
  7. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

So true. That’s why Melbourne s coffee and tea are so good. You’ll need them all year round!:D

craigc likes this.
  8. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I’m in that position now. More so not looking for a promotion so no sweat at all!:D

The Y-man likes this.
  9. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Was it the PhD thing? The universities are very good at telling people they are under qualified so to get a young and over qualified replacement…;)

10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Anything prior to 67 would be early. ideal is 18. Anything in between would be good though.

craigc, Ian87, samiam and 1 other person like this.
  11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Yep it was. Was going to do a masters but friend said to do a PhD - it's funded by other generous taxpayers :D

A lot's gone on since that post... my mum died a year later, I got my PhD conferred a few months after that. The unis basically collapsed overnight during covdi claiming no international student fees coming in, and they announced redundancies. Of course, casuals like me were first out the door - so regardless of having a PhD, it let me enjoy a longer break than anticipated.

Spent some months repainting 3 of our ips that were vacant at various times (a 4BR house being the biggest project ~ no I am not doing a second career as a painter!) as well as mowing lot of lawns (no I am not becoming a mowerman)

Earlier this year, after actually becoming a bit bored being stuck at home, a friend called asking about buying a guitar. I gave some advice, and they promptly went and bought exactly what I told them not to (sigh...) and they signed up to classes at U3A - only to find the class get cancelled.

I told them it isn't too hard - I'm self taught and don't even read music.

They in turn said "Well, why don't you teach?"

Did they not hear the "I'm self taught and don't even read music" bit ... but I can sort of play.... well, stuff it why not?

So - suddenly, I was in a class with 15 mature aged students who had "inherited" guitars from their kids or grandkids and had never touched the instrument before....

It's been one hell of an adventure. There was so much demand a second class was put on a few month later. I am needing new tricks to teach them, because I have run out of what I had... and scarily, it might mean I need to teach them how to read music... o_O

Then as destiny would have it, uni (the paid gig) got desperate because students were rolling back in, and they didn't have any staff left to teach (remember they got rid of them....). I got the call (as usual) two days before start of semester..."Hi we need you to teach this subject..." Then another call. Then another.

The semester we just wrapped up has been my busiest ever - AND I kept the guitar thing going too (good de-stresser that one :))

Just as I was sitting back, ACTUALLY looking forward to a bit of a break over summer, the phone rings.... "Hi, can you teach summer schools.... we got no one who can do it..." o_O

The Y-man

craigc, New Town, oracle and 16 others like this.
  12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Holding problematic IPs and financing headaches will keep you busy haha.

13. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Wow! I was thrilled just by reading about your adventures! Sorry to hear about your Mom’s passing. Re. running out of things to teach the guitar lessons, you can always self taught ballet and who knows what sort of middle agers might be your followers. :p

Re the university, you should have asked for a 2 or even 5 years contract. They are desperate, it’s your turn to get even. For making money for them, teachers are more important than researchers.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. So much more interesting to read than evaluating properties!:D

14. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

A quick read of this:

What Is Music Theory? - dummies

and you'll completely own this.

Attached Files:

The Y-man likes this.
  15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I've been asked numerous times by numerous people - I'm not sure I want to commit even on a part time basis. I would lose a lot of flexibility. However, it will alleviate the need to keep publishing papers ot maintain my creds, so probably need to do it at some stage. One ******* thing is that Uni timetabling don't get their act together until after U3A - so I need ot figure out how to manage the 2 before I say yes to them.

The Y-man

willair and spoon like this.
  16. See Change

Paid down alot of debt in last few years and aim to be close to debt free when we retire though we have a LOC on house so might buy one every so often for interest .

I've seen first hand how people ( 99 % ) will struggle to manage their affairs at some stage if hey get old enough , but still got a few years to go . Mum made 98 and Dad 93 and they were very competent till their late 80's ( mum 93 ...) . Good genetic background helps .

Cliff

iloveqld, wylie and geoffw like this.
  17. 38215

38215 Well-Known Member

It really depends - I was financially ready at 35 but have since learned that I am the type of person who will never really retire.

Done the gardening, ancestry, renos, travelling (lap around Oz / time overseas) thing. It all gets old.

Having the option to quit / retrain to whatever I want to, to be with loved ones in any crisis - priceless.

18. See Change

noticed this post was Feb 2020….

lots of things have changed in the world and now I’m looking forward to retirement ( though not sure when it will be total ) I’ve cut down to 3 days a week and might be trimming that soon . Once our next NDIS property is finished we can move into a very comfortable retirement . Reality is we can retire now and we’re watching our cash flow at the moment to see if we can pull the trigger sooner .

Why the change ? Covid .

GP . Thought about this a lot over the last two years . As a Dr you always know some people don’t tell the truth and accept it , knowing the person who is at risk is the person themselves , but Covid changed that and the person who is at risk is myself and other people and those people who lie don’t give a s... It’s not 1-2 % . Probably 10-20 % so it occurs more than once every day . I’ve been abused and threatened bypatients AND a fellow Dr ( more than once ) and I was totally underwhelmed by the response to that by certain people who are important in my daily working life .

why did that happen ? Because I took Covid seriously and wanted to follow the recommended guidelines and other didn’t … until they were personally impacted ( relatives dying etc )

Next birthday 65 which is the traditional retirement age .

just had a nice holiday , with another coming up . Planing further holidays . Spent just under 20 k on three guitars ( white falcon , PRS 594 and a cherry red 335 .
    Just saw the perfect boating option for us and will check that out this week . Signed up for another song writing course and booked in two co-writing sessions with US based friends ( one has had over 30 commercial cuts ……)

Got lots of things to do and while I’m not walking out of my job today , I can and probably will , a lot sooner than I planned .

cliff

Last edited by a moderator: 7th Nov, 2022
    samiam, wylie, spoon and 8 others like this.
  19. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, we now can see how far a huge capital gain can do to a seasonal workaholic GP/property dealer ;)

Joking aside, we all change to adapt and Covid did change our personal plan too, more positive with the help of 2021-2022 growth in our porfolio. All the best to you well deserved long holiday.

For me, it is always the power of choice when coming to anything like work, love or retirement so I can choose and do what I think is right happily. (even changing mind anytime is powerfull too)

20. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Retirement is a funny thing, people just assume it's all fun and rosy. I don't know, maybe it's just because once you repeat things over and over repetitively it just takes out the novelty factor, and therefore, fun. Humans are just curious creatures, really.

I've come to the conclusion retirement or some form of retirement is only enjoyable if you're seriously wealthy enough to like change your lifestyle/surroundings and routine every few months.