Ideal LVR for new PPOR & possible conversion to IP in future?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Howler, 18th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Howler

Howler Active Member

What is the ideal LVR for a PPOR purchase with possible future conversion to an investment property? I feel like I read somewhere that the answer is 80% LVR + offset, but I can't find where I read this...

Idea is to reside in the PPOR initially, 2 years minimum, with the potential to convert to IP in the future if things go well.

I could go to a lower LVR (higher deposit), but don't want to if it's a not good idea in this case. With 80% LVR I have a decent offset amount.

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

I'd be inclined to hold back as much savings as possible (depending on what you intend on doing with your savings).

Would you be upgrading to another PPOR in 2 years?

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Niche likes this.
  4. Howler

Howler Active Member

Fair enough. It depends on my circumstances - I can't say for sure yet. It will depend on how much extra cash I can save, job promotions, the real estate market etc.

I am not comfortable with anything less than 80% LVR, but thank you for contributing to the thread.

Terry_w likes this.
  5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

This is a common thing, but is often not based on the core data, rather emotions.

assume one buys for 500 k

80 % lend means 100 k in, nett debt = 400

85 % lend with no LMI = 425 lend with 25 in offset - net debt = 400

Unless my clients arent good with money, we will always choose the risk transfer of holding back 25 k extra cash

ta
    rolf

Terry_w and Niche like this.
  6. Howler

Howler Active Member

Actually, the reason I ask, is I am trying to work out the formula.... ! If I understand it fully I will change my view.

I found this page (Should I pay down my mortgage or use an offset account? - Money School), and am experimenting with the calculator they provide.

The bit I understand in theory, is that having an offset and paying extra or more often will reduce interest paid.. makes sense.

The bit which blows my mind, is that based on that calculator, if I put in a smaller deposit (20% + larger offset), but pay the loan off faster (fortnightly), I will pay less interest than if I put in a 40% deposit (+ smaller offset) and pay off the loan equally fast....

7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If you put money in a 100% offset account, and kept it there, it will save exactly the same amount of interest as if you put it in the loan.

Howler and craigc like this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.