Ian Ugarte - Legit? Small Is The New Big / Hires Property

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by cos71n, 10th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Read the comments of his facebook ads - his demeanour is loud and clear ;)

Property Baron likes this.
  2. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

It says he aims to deliver a million properties, not own.
    Through his course, others will build or convert them.

3. Dapropertyguy

Dapropertyguy New Member

I have attended his one day pre sales seminar ..

He is not a scammer but a very good spruiker with some interesting sales tactics...

For example he starts crying during the free seminar on at least 4 occasions ... I guess anything for a quick bucks .. I don’t know how crying helps his sales but apparently it does help

I don’t see a reason why anyone should pay for this course as there are better options for roi... however each to their own...

Simon Marsden and ellejay like this.
  4. Dapropertyguy

Dapropertyguy New Member

Not sure if he does any better either ..

5. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

He's quite erm... emotionally unstable perhaps. I paid for his program a while back, couldn't get any response to my questions for weeks after posting as per his request on his group FB page. I politely PMd him a reminder, and the response blew me away. Very arrogant brush off referring me back to his FB page, and when I politely challenged him he called me "passive aggressive" and actually blocked me on FB. I mean wtf. Got my money back thank goodness. Not at all normal, particularly given I'd paid a few grand for his course.

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

:eek: Wowsers that's nuts! You'd think he'd treat his clients like gold.

7. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

LOL - Just received a sms text from Ian
    Master class never seen before offer.
    :rolleyes:

8. cos71n

cos71n Member

He did this in the seminar I went to. There was a moment where he was recounting some story of his past and he got all choked up, put his head down and pinched his nose like he was really struggling with it.

It seemed fake and out of nowhere, like it was acted. Really didn't sit well with me, and no wonder if this is a "tactic" he is using at multiple events!

9. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

ellejay when you get back on his FB (I don't have FB) can you suggest " big is the new small" :)

Big land holdings , big buildings great potential to exceed 20% net yields.

I will post details (after settlement) of the third deal my mate has done (2 already posted already) 0-$700k pa net rental (profit 75% of this) in 12mths . All big land holdings and large buildings.

Last edited: 8th Jan, 2020
    ellejay, Gen-Y and Player like this.
  10. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

He blocked me on FB after I got my refund like the small is the new big man that he is. Common Narcissists' tactic when things aren't going their way I've found.

Last edited: 8th Jan, 2020
    Beano likes this.
  11. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of the comments here ppl have said and I asked Ian the question how long before market is saturated with them, and everyone that heard my question was like oh yeh aka the penny dropped.

You can only do these sorts of things just like granny flats in certain areas to get the full benefit. I recall one BA suggesting to do it in Bendigo to get massive return but need to fork out 30k for conversion for that particular property. Now if you wanted to sell it who will buy it unless you turn it back to a normal home, or sell it cheaper to get an investor as if its a crappy market why would you buy it other than for cashflow. Also Came across another bloke doing it in WA in places further out like reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

ellejay likes this.
  12. Simon Marsden

Simon Marsden New Member

Ian's strategy is sound, but he truly believes he invented it. He didn't. Separately leased rooms in a dwelling house have been around forever. Some people do them illegally (fire, safety, insurance, disability issue make this approach very risky). Why go illegal, when it doesn't take much to go legal? Ian's route is the legal approach, which is the best way.

A bit of background on the promoter, Ian Ugarte.

Ian has been a long time property developer, searching for the best way to make millions in property. He makes much of his money now selling his course Small Is The New Big (You can only join his Facebook page if you've bought his course at around $5,000 - there are over 4,000 members of his Facebook page - plus there are upsells to the tune of another $10,000 plus personal mentorship of around $25,000 pa - so you do the maths).

Ian was a member of the I Love Real Estate community (Dymphna Boholt), where there are a number of members who practice this multi lease Class 1b conversion strategy or similar. They're all quite friendly, have a great Facebook page and share info. Ian Ugarte is more well known in the community for being an aggressive investor and property developer, looking for the highest returns possible. In doing so Ian introduced some outside people into the community with a scheme with promised high returns. Those who invested lost their money. The scheme with turned out to be a ponzi scheme. Although Ian was not the architect of the scheme, he was the promoter, within the group. This left many with a sour taste in their mouth and Ian became somewhat of a pariah, with those blaming him saying, if he didn't know it was a ponzi scheme, he should have done his due diligence. Ian has since gone out on his own to promote these Hi Res Rooming Houses in his course Small Is The New Big.

You pay for the initial course, which gives you the basics, and enough for you needing and wanting more, and then there are up-sells to more modules and mentoring.

During his 'free' webinar funnels, (heavily promoted through Facebook ads), Ian claims he has never had a 'failed project' by any of his students. I know this to not be true, as I speak to Property Managers who tell stories of Ian's students who have done the first course, then are abandoned for whatever reason (I see some people here saying you cannot contact Ian except through Facebook, and if you ask difficult questions, he calls you 'passive aggressive' then blocks you).

These students have purchased properties, followed the retro fit conversions from Class 1a to Class 1b, then can't get the tenants or the room rates to justify the costs, so these properties remain largely vacant or not returning the required yields to make them cashflow positive.

Usually the Property Manager's only advice is to remove the retro-fitted disable access and other amenities to return to a standard Class 1a dwelling and sell, then try in a more suited area where the tenant market works. These people complain that they are not supported unless they spend more money.

You don't need to spend tens of thousands of dollars with Ian Ugarte's Small Is The New Big.

Ian has expensively packaged a known residential investment method and charges though the nose for his 'system' (i.e. course).

Call up any Building Certifier in the area you want to do your build or house conversions, arrange a meeting, contract some licensed tradies or a builder, and you're away. Some Certifiers may charge for advice or a report, usually a couple of hundred dollars, but they'll tell you what Ian Ugarte tells you. It's really not rocket science.

Good luck, and a few phone calls to Certifiers, Licensed Tradies and/or Builders will save you a lot of money and self-serving spin.

Good luck. Simon

Crido, Beta4Me, meljbrennan and 13 others like this.
  13. Tam Van

Tam Van New Member

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.