I would love to have OCD !

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MyDarlinghurst, 3rd Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Wife reckons I have OCD, but I reckon she's just untidy.

Still love her though....not sure of her about me...??

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

3. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

My car stereo volume has to be on even numbers only....HAS TO BE !!!

Propagate likes this.
  4. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I thought that Caboolture one looked cheap for the area until I clicked through and saw what a renovators delight it truly is!

5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

That's the new drive for the back house. I am trying to get the same paver to do the carport. He did a good job of the drive.

6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I’m too busy to even match my socks or open my own letters
    I have not opened an envelope for over 15 years. My book keeper does. The great thing about that is that I get to miss out on the party and wedding invitations. “Oh too bad I really wanted to go..... not!!!”

MTR and Sackie like this.
  7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I have CDO. It's a bit like OCD but the letters are in correct alphabetical order.

Phar Lap likes this.
  8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Genuine OCD is a serious condition and not something to joke about. I have a friend with this condition and it’s effects are quite devastating.

A bit like Alzheimer’s jokes. My mum was dying of this awful disease and it’s effects were anything but funny.
    Marg

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think we all have a little bit of it. I am aware of some quirky things I do (pick out five lollies, not just some random number, and am teased by our kids for doing this).

10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I think we need to be careful to distinguish between habits and compulsions.

Habits may seem like compulsions - but only because we do them without thinking. Habits can be changed with mindfulness and discipline. Sometimes it can be really difficult to change them - again because we tend to do them without thinking, but also because the longer we do something, the more ingrained into our subconscious behaviours it becomes.

Compulsions are different in that you don't really have a choice - regardless of intent or desire, it's just something you can't change - at least not without a lot of help.

I also think that many things we consider OCD quirks (I have them too) are just our personal preferences - things that annoy us. I suspect that (like many things) there is a spectrum of compulsiveness - and some of us feel it more strongly than others.

However, most of us have sufficient control to be able to deal with the things that trigger us - if it's trivial, we'll probably do something about it (ie tidying or ordering things because it makes us feel better) - but we can also stop ourselves if we must. It's when you don't have control and are compelled to take action after being triggered (regardless of the consequences), that it becomes a compulsion.

Propagate and wylie like this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

12. turk

turk Well-Known Member

13. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

OCD as a disorder is horrendous, it stops you from doing many things "normally" because you have this inherent dread within you that if you don't push the door 10 times to check it's closed, someone will walk in and murder your kids in their sleep. Things like that.

There is another thing called obsessive habits or obsessive behaviour. Many people refer to this as their "OCD" but it's actually not, it's a learned habit and whilst it may be difficult to break that habit, you don't have a sense of dread if you don't perform this habit. Slight temporary discomfort is the worst you will feel from not doing an obsessive habit, severe anxiety and panic attacks are on the menu if you don't perform your OCD.

All that aside, you can train yourself into some pretty cool obsessive habits fairly simply (like ironing your bed :))

wylie likes this.
  14. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Mine is multiples of 5 :). Nothing bad happens if I don't, it's just a habitual behaviour, I can put it on something else and generally forget about it within a minute or two. My other one is if I want to check the volume, I go up one, down two then back up one to the original volume, I don't know why :)

15. Lastgeckoonmars

Lastgeckoonmars Member

Someone I used to know well has this. It’s horrible... she thinks of hazards like incurable viruses, asbestos, lead, cadmium, radiation etc (I got lead and asbestos crazy a bit after hearing her distress because I have kids) but it’s more about her getting it or being contaminated with it and then contaminating other people, especially babies/ children. She thinks in terms of micrograms, nanolitres... even normal events become a huge project for her- for example she washes her car inside out after every service so asbestos and lead dust from garages doesnt contaminate her car and affect the children using her car (she has none but she babysits her brother’s kids), then she showers, then she washes her car again, then she mops the floor....day in day out rituals after rituals to get rid of contamination...I try and avoid talking to her because I am a hypochrondriac myself and I don’t want her obsessions to make me paranoid! And I do feel very selfish doing so but I reached my limit. I feel very sorry for her, especially when she is doing it all because she doesn’t want to end up being the cause of hurting someone else. It’s all quite intense. That is real OCD. I don’t wish it on anyone.

She got help and is much better but at gatherings you can still see she is obviously obsessing about something. Very sad. She’s otherwise very witty and funny, intelligent, attractive and successful ( for all the obsessing she does she is a very successful accountant) but can’t maintain a relationship.