Travel & Holidays I will never fly.......

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 5th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

xcept the planes they run in and out of Brissie are first build 777s from the steam engine era :)

ta
    rolf

mikey7 likes this.
  2. Nadine Cross

Nadine Cross Well-Known Member

LOL!......snob. :D..but I'm hearin' ya!

MTR, Sackie and Xenia like this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

done that too............

sometimes the only other choice is worse

ta
    rolf

4. supersam80

supersam80 Well-Known Member

I fly a lot, last month did 3 overseas trips (US, Singapore, Thailand) and some domestic travel.

My favourites - Singapore, Etihad, AirNZ
    Worst - Qantas. I always have terrible luck with them. Bags lost, long delays, stuck next to vomiting passengers etc

I get the most free upgrades with Delta in the US for some reason, even though at one point I held gold status with Etihad a few years ago. Got a freebie a few weeks ago with Singapore that was a bit more than just nice

5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

:D

6. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

I flew to KL last November in their Premium flatbed...couldn't fault it. Business class seat with standard economy meal/entertainment...None of the perks just a comfy seat with plenty of legroom. think i paid $650 each way and would happily pay it again.

7. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

I will never fly... pretty much anyone... I am a bad passenger (same goes for cars)

Have friends / clients up the pointy end of the plane & too many scary industry stories that I can't share.... me being Gold FF with Virgin & Qantas get around a bit (though not for much longer!)

Australian run airlines can't fault them from a performance & safety perspective... Qantas / Virgin / Jetstar... passenger experience is obviously a very different proposition dependent on airline & class

Top tip for living it up cheap with domestic travel.... upgrade with points to "The Business" with Virgin... that is their full service flat bed seat in the A330s that use mostly for east-west coast... way better than normal Virgin business and better than Qantas equivalent offer in their larger fleet

International... options are endless but find the service of a Singapore > Qantas... their long haul was disappointing (even in business).

Still not flown First... bucket list thing got the points waiting for when the kids are old enough for us to leave them for a while....

Nadine Cross likes this.
  8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Catch a flight to Bali!! Odds are there will be a few bogans on your flight

Nadine Cross likes this.
  9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Or a 4c fuel discount docket

10. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Many people do say to not bank points as they devalue
    I see their point. But I've banking mine for years.
    Just recently started using them

Morgs likes this.
  11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Actually you just reminded me - the scariest experience of my life has been my friend handing over the controls of the Cessna 172 we were flying in pitch dark over regional victoria. It would not have been so bad except:
    1. the RH seat on the old 172 does not have an artificial horizon
    2. it's got a light about the brightness (dimness) of a matchstick inside (so you can see the towns to navigate by) and you can't see jack of the instrumentation on the pilot's side anyway!
    3. It was so pitch dark outside I had no idea which way was up down or sideways (it's called spacial disorientation)

My friend was telling me to relax because I was frozen onto the controls! :p Easy for him to say!!

The Y-man

Morgs likes this.
  12. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Meh. I’ve flown a lot and then some.

The chances of an accident when flying commercial flights are so small as to be non-existent. I’ve even flown some of the super dodgy ex-soviet fleet. The worst was Scat airways.
    On one flight the chickens got lose, and the goat head butted the air hostess (not a joke).
    The second (and last) we were first delayed when our plane caught fire just before boarding.
    The replacement plane then had some other catestrophic failure and couldn’t land. So we ended up driving.
    Ahh. Good times.

Blacky

13. Nadine Cross

Given the plethora of cheap deal websites for flights; it suggests that the vast majority of people choose based on price for flights...something has to give....quality of services....I would love to only fly business or first class and only at a time that suits me, but it is at this point in time just a dream.

14. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Air Agony (Air Niugini) is the worst airline I've ever flown with.

15. Nadine Cross

I stayed in a pretty upmarket area in Bali one time...very nice and a very nice selection of humanity from around the globe....came back to earth with an enormous thump when I got to the airport at Denpesar to come home, and queued up with the rest of the Aussies coming back....an interesting mix.