I was quoted roughly $3,200-$3,300 (incl. GST) - is this fair or am I being ripped off?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Taku Ekanayake, 6th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I was quoted roughly $3,200-$3,300 (incl. GST), to get my kitchen cabinetry coated in 2 Pack white, and laminex the bench top in a beige speckley (cheap option).
    Am I being quoted at fair prices?
    Secondly, will updating my kitchen with the 2 Pack and laminex top, be a good ROI, when it comes to re-valuing my property in a month's time?

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 6th Feb, 2016
  2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

What does it look like now Taku? Sounds like a lot in the sort of properties you've bought lately

Taku Ekanayake likes this.
  3. Taku Ekanayake

Hey @Bran,
    Sorry, I have uploaded the photos now. Please check original post.

4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Sounds about right but I wouldn't go that direction with it personally.

The place desperately needs a new paint. I would also do a new stone laminate for the bench tops and a funky new splash back and new cupboard handles. Cabinets look ok I reckon but even what I said above might be too much.

Elives likes this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Are you local to the kitchen? You could just paint those cupboards yourself.

It is a certain look. I think for that money I would just leave the cupboards as is and put in a stone/engineered stone benchtop rather than a cheap laminate benchtop as at valuation time the Valuer is going to see a cheap laminate bench and go 'meh'

As Biz said, a wall paint job would go a long way. A whiter colour rather than the creamy yellow will brighten it up.

S.T and Taku Ekanayake like this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Looks similar to one I painted last year to sell. I used stain inhibitor first, second coat, then oil based gloss to finish. New knobs too. Left the green laminate top but polished it up with Enyo product.

I don't have photos on my phone but it made an amazing difference to the look.

That price sounds high but I also wouldn't use two pack. We have it at home and once it gets damaged it is hard to patch.

I would say your kitchen is twice the size of the one I did. I spent (guessing) half a day doing each coat inside and out. That may help you work out a painting quote. Our painter quoted ballpark $1k to spray it but we ran out of time so I hand painted it.

7. Taku Ekanayake

Hey @Biz, thanks for the feedback.
    The whole house has had full paint in hogs bristle beige. We have put in new sink and stove/rangehood.
    We will also be installing new cupboard handles.

How much does the limestone bench cost roughly?

Something similar to the photo below (google image)?

Attached Files:

8. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Taku pal, yeah good I was going to suggest a new oven, that one looks like ass. If you already painted it in all honesty I would leave it at that. If you take the bench off then you have to also redo the splash back and if you are going to do all that imo it is new kitchen time. Really look rentable as it is.

Kryys likes this.
  9. Taku Ekanayake

Hi @Westminster, thanks for the feedback.
    Unfortunately not local to the property so I am outsourcing.

Would you happen to know how much the stone bench top would cost?
    I like this idea, so long as it is cost effective and the ROI is there.

Hi @wylie, thanks for the feedback. I believe I may have seen photos of your before and after photos of the kitchen in the Styling and Decorating section in one of the threads. Looked great. 2 pack might not be the go by the sounds of yours and other ppl feedback. Spray option sounds cost effective.

Lol, the contents of 3 month old melted cheese inside the stove was much worse.
    So are you saying to just leave the cabinetry in the pine colour?
    Anything else I should do to the kitchen to increase valuation?

10. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Stone bench tops in Dbay? The only stones around those parts go through windows.
    I would definitely consider painting the cupboards or a 2pack finish as they look very dated.
    Repaint the ceilings, walls and consider replacing the oven, that's it.
    Not sure about the reval as the market is moving in an upwards direction anyway. Should mean an extra potential $15 pw rent though.
    Edit- The kitchen has been painted post photos.
    Good luck.

11. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I don't think painting the cabinets will have much effect on the valuation personally. Wouldn't hurt to do it though. Probably cost about $1500 for someone to do it.

12. Taku Ekanayake

Haha this is true, may be over capitalising with stone bench tops in D-Bay.

13. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Can buy a new kitchen for that much

14. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

to spray coat 2 pac is around $100-$120 per sqm depending on your kitchen (you an un-assemble to the carcass and deliver it to the spray painter) Stone is always the best. quartz stone .go look for RDL or ambassador stone (should be appox 2K max for the base builder range stone) for that benchtop with template

Hanison and Taku Ekanayake like this.
  15. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Agree with this and others. The place mainly needs a good go over with a paintbrush. Whatever bench top you choose is up to you. I like laminate. :) Glass splashbacks are worth the money.

16. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Nice kitchen layout @Taku Ekanayake Is this in D-Bay? I would paint and leave the cabinets as they are. What's the land size?

17. Westminster

Judging by the comments this is a cheapie area? That is actually a solid wood kitchen which is probably a lot better made than made flatpack nonsense these days. I would keep it as it will wear well. I expect that a light coloured engineered stone would cost around $4000.
    What is the purpose of the reval? Has it been long since you bought it?

18. Mr Dabolina

Mr Dabolina Well-Known Member

Having seen the house, I suggest the following, keeping in mind that you don't want to over capitalise:

1. Varnish/Polish the wood to give it a bit more life but leave it as is - the units are built solid plus it kinda suits the style of the house and with new appliances it will add to the appeal.
    2. Paint the green top section of the benches with the good quality laminate paint, go for a light speckle.
    3. Replace the door knobs so it doesn't look like Grandma's kitchen and Light fittings (if not already replaced)
    4. Obviously, the walls and floor are getting done in the kitchen as well.

19. Taku Ekanayake

Thanks for the feedback @larrylarry. Yep, in D-Bay. Land size is over 680m2.

Thanks @Westminster. Yep, in a cheapie area. Deception Bay - north of Bris (40 mins drive). The stone would be too dear this time around.
    The purpose of the reval, is to dip into the equity to use as deposit on my next one. I settled on this property in Dec. We've done quite a lot of cosmetic reno on this place as it was really due for it. Also, changed it from a 3br to a 4br.

Thanks @Mr Dabolina. Yep new handles and light fittings are going in. I'm running out of funds bad! Well, in fact I ran out of funds many days ago!

Perthguy and WattleIdo like this.
  20. Westminster

Oh yes I remember you talking about changing it from 3 to 4 bedder. I think that will make the most impact in terms of valuation.
    Give the kitchen a good clean as it most likely has years of grease and dust built up on those doors. This is a good article on cleaning wooden kitchen doors How to Clean Grease From Kitchen Cabinet Doors | eHow

Wish we could get products like this here for fixing up cheapie benchtops

[​IMG]

WattleIdo, HUGH72 and Taku Ekanayake like this.