I want to educate myself on real estate

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by ohmyback, 6th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ohmyback

ohmyback Member

Hi guys,

I am so glad i found this forum. I want to learn about real estate while I am young so i can map out a strategy for acquiring multiple properties and eventually living off of them. Are there any books, youtube channels, articles that you guys could recommend? I am interested in a general education/introduction to the word of real estate investing. Bonus if the resource is Australian/Sydney centric. I feel like there's a lot of things about the Sydney property market that make it unique. IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE TO POSITIVE CASHFLOW IN SYDNEY?! :confused:

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Does that matter, if you get capital gains?

Don't assume anything just yet.

3. ohmyback

ohmyback Member

You're right. I guess positive cashflow would just be a "nice to have" kind of thing.

Is there any way to make an educated guess on future capital gains beyond mere speculation?

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

5. Ummm

Ummm Well-Known Member

United Kingdom (temp)- previously Brisbane QLD
    What is your opinion on what will cause capital gains to occur? (Over and above just a price increase due to the printing of money and inflation? because that isn't actually any kind of gain)

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

A strategy for building a portfolio starts with finance, so you're going to want to find out about what's possible for you first.

Otherwise you'll be super hyped by the millions you're gonna make, only to have your dreams shattered by reality. ;)

Check out our fb community (below in my deets) - there's heaps of videos in there you can watch for free.

7. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

@ohmyback - I'd start with reading interviews on the previous Somersoft forums (archive is still live). You'd be surprised how much you will learn.

What's your risk profile?
    What's important about building a portfolio?
    Where does owner occupied debt sit in all of this?
    Are you looking for cash flow, capital growth or BOTH?

Determining the finance aspect with what you can do with your resources. Plan that out up front, especially if you have the equity and the income. Get clarity on this upfront else you don't know the direction you're going in. If you own an existing property you need to also look at how to ensure that's set up to help you move forward and with a lender flexible enough for future changes.

Then determine your property selection strategy covering...
    > What are you negotiables, non negotiables?
    > What type of property, block size, minimum rent?
    > What's the required distance from infrastructure?
    > What should be your minimum cash outflow (are you going to be okay with negative, neutral or positive cash flow?)
    > What fundamentals are you going to focus on?

Makes sense?

8. fols

fols Well-Known Member

It sure is. Cashflow positive in Point Piper 100% possible....if your cash deposit is big enough.

9. Spiralkut

Spiralkut Well-Known Member

All the Margaret Lomas books are good. Also Armchair investor I think it's called is also good.

10. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Yep I paid a deposit of 5m for a house that cost me 5.2m and the rent is paying for my mortgage with money to spare! Cashflow ++

Pingu1988 likes this.