VIC I want to avoid "bad" apartments in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Zod, 30th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Concrete cancer is where the steel reinforcing buried in the concrete starts to rust. The rust causes the steel work to expand. It usually only becomes obvious when the problem gets to the stage where concrete starts to come away. It can take years for it to get to that stage and often when it does it is a very expensive fix. It's more likely in buildings near the beach for obvious reasons.

2. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@Depreciator : Ah I see, many thanks for the detailed expalantion and sharing your experience here mate.

Does it happens to the old apartment building (build in 1980's era) or the relatively young building build in 1990-2000 era ?

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Usually older buildings (40 plus years old) where water has been seeping in over time. Can also happen to new buildings where construction was done incorrectly - it takes time for the reinforcement to rust to a point it expands though, so not likely to show for ages.

The Y-man

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

5. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@The Y-man Yes, and not from this guy either on the list:
    • No Loan Home Pty Ltd trading as Perth’s Easyhomes WA, Filip Butkovic, Nikola Butkovic, Patricia Susilo, Bryan Susilo and Rowan Lines, led by Consumer Protection Western Australia
    • We Buy Houses Pty Ltd and its director Rick Otton, led by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission as a result of a coordinated investigation with NSW Fair Trading
    • Benjamin David Chislett, Creative Property Australia Pty Ltd and Benny Bull Pty Ltd led by Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Source: http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/f...0150730_property_spruikers_put_on_notice.page

6. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Many decades ago some builders in Hong Kong cut costs by using sea water to mix the concrete. You can imagine how that went.

7. Zod

Zod Member

I kind of like the idea of living in the city, but don't like the idea of renting. I'm very new to property and assumed apartments might be the only affordable thing.

Thanks Scott, I won't even bother entertaining that idea. I keep hearing that off-the-plan investments other people have made are not going to be worth what they paid for them so I was wondering if there was an opportunity to get those cheap...

Reading the comments here I think city probably isn't or me at all. The thought of $400 tiny apartments make me think I'd definitely rather rent than buy, but I don't really want to rent at all.