I want new Strata Agents not in St Marys

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 29th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

i have a IP Townhouse up on the Central Coast NSW, the Strata Management is Raine and Horne St Marys.
    They dont even bother to look after the complex of 8 units properly in terms of gardening maitenance etc.
    I have continued on telling the maitenance issues and weeks went by with tenant complaining to me of falling trees in the complex.
    I ring these raine and horne St Marys ....

In fact the guys there cant even prounounce the suburb name properly !!

What is the process to to get new Strata managers and local Central Coast Company ?

Last edited by a moderator: 29th Feb, 2016
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

When does the agreement expire?
    Call tenders
    Appoint new agent

3. Cadbury99

Cadbury99 Well-Known Member

4. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

Raine & Horne St Mary's are 91.6km away from the most accessible suburb of Central Coast, Kariong.

This trip takes 1 hour 12 minutes.

Who appointed them to be Strata Managers?

5. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

When i bought the IP they were the Strata Managers.

I dont know any of the other owners, it appears the complex is all renters so the owners maybe in Sydney the same as me.

The point is... The place is getting run down ... I think its better to have a local company not some real estate out in St Marys Sydney .

6. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Pretty much. If you're out of contract term you can terminate existing and appoint someone else at the next General Meeting. Easiest is to go find who you want, and then they'll usually help you move to them.

But, don't expect a new strata managing agent to necessarily solve all your problems. Agents act under instruction. The Committee is intended to direct the agent. The agent exists to take away the grunt work: record keeping, banking, paying bills, some compliance, chasing up debtors, handling official communication, and so on. Obvious things like having a fallen tree branch removed should be actioned by an agent, that solution is obvious.

A problem like poor quality grounds maintenance is more complicated. What is an agent supposed to do? The solution you like might be different to someone else's idea of a good solution. Others might be quite happy to avoid costs. Strata is as much an approach to governance as it is anything else, to guide how decisions should be made in a democratic kind of way. The Scheme's committee should be driving solutions that are discretionary or involve subjective assessment. That's when the committee members need to be doing their 'job' (in a voluntary capacity). If you're on the committee, you could research who you would want to do what, and put it to the other committee members. If you're not on the committee and you want to see change, think about joining the committee at the next AGM - regardless of whether you change strata managing agent or not.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I can't help you other than to say that Raine & Horne St Marys are useless even with ones local to them.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Get on the BC.

Not all BC are proactive - they might all be too tight to want to spend $$ on garden maintenance or exterior painting or gutter cleaning etc.

So you really need to be part of it.

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

We tried that! Most of the other owners were absentee, and gave R & H their proxy's. It's hard to get rid of them and/or get approval for new (cheaper) contractors, when they control the votes.

The solution was to sell. Please note that we didn't sell BECAUSE of R & H. We were going to sell anyway....but it was nice not having to deal with them anymore.

10. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Skater, why don't you send a PM to Russ, from numerous posts in this forum he might be able to provide some reasonable advice.

11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

The subject property was only ever going to be a short term hold. It did it's job & it's now gone & I don't have to deal with the idiots again.

12. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

I have a few strata properties with R and H St Marys and they are looked after fine. Who are the strata managers you deal with?

13. Set81

Set81 Active Member

I have a strata property with them too , took almost a year to fix my ridge capping , then was told no it didn't by R n H , it did and at least 10 phone calls on the matter . Over $800 they paid a guy to fix one hip , was told no quotes are gotten just told the guy to do it . Not how I'd manage the process my self and not happy feeling the guys they get can just write their own price .

14. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Set81, find yourself a new Strata Manager.

Set81 likes this.
  15. Miss_D

Miss_D Well-Known Member

Get three quotes from other body corp managers and make sure that those quotes are included in the nexg AGM. Normally you get a letter to state what you want to raise at your next agm. Submit your quotes with a submission to change body corp manager, this way y dont need to wait til the next body corp meeting and more money for that meeting to elect a new body corp manager. Make sure you attend the next agm. Find out who your secretary, treasurer, president is. Find out what their opionons are of the body corp managers. This should be in your previous body corporate meeting details.