I wanna remove all these plants at front yard. Advisable ?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by deezee, 6th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. deezee

deezee Well-Known Member

Hi members,

My long term elderly tenant lives alone and she is now struggling to maintain the plants at the front of the house.

I am opting for a low maintenance yard. I am tempted to remove all the plants and have the front yard covered by gravel. Is this advisable ?

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think you will devalue your property and removing shrubs and putting gravel down would look awful.

Is your elderly tenant trimming the shrubs? Or is she mowing the grass?

They could be trimmed a bit so the house isn’t totally invisible but why not get a gardener in twice a year to trim them.

Beano, freyja, Stoffo and 2 others like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

As my landscaper advised me many years ago, consider the frequency & how much time you spend doing the garden vs mowing the lawn.

Those plants are of a size that you'd probably be getting a gardener in once or twice each year vs mowing lawns on a 2-3 weekly cycle.

wylie and freyja like this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Not gravel! Weeds grow through it or seeds blow onto it and grass and weeds grow.

Leaves then drop, decompose and eventually more weeds grow on top of it.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Why does she need to maintain them? They’re shrubs / trees - just leave them as they are!

Has your tenant actually complained?

WattleIdo and wylie like this.
  6. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Hate gravel. I have a volcanic rock gravel pathway. Loved great first couple of years. Now has so much of organic matter between the gravel it’s a constant battle with weeds. I probably use more round up than a farmer. Thinking of ripping it out eventually.

These seem established. So I doubt they need a lot of love. Pretty much set and forget type of bushes. I would definitely keep them. Lawn tends to overgrown and needs constant maintenance. These would require 2-4 visits by a gardener a year. What’s not to like?

7. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I keep my property looking nice. I do major pruning a couple of times a year. I don't want tennants hacking my trees and large bushes

WattleIdo likes this.
  8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Those shrubs should not need much maintenance, maybe a trim 2-3 times a year.

Gravel will be hot in summer and weeds will grow through. In less than a year it will probably be an unsightly mess.

Suggest you trim the shrubs if necessary but definitely leave them there. Replacing them with gravel will devalue the property.

wylie likes this.
  9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Agree with others. Actually, it looks pretty low maintenance already ie drought tolerant, which is the most important thing. The current set up will be providing shade and privacy.
    However, we've had so much rain this year and lower summer temperatures. I think, like every gardren, it's just looking a bit wild and needs a trim. Being quite established, it would take more than an old lady with a hack saw to tidy it up properly. I bet she doesn't have a trailer to take the branches to the tip, either.
    You might need to fork out. I'd say once a year or once every two years - going into ealy Autumn.
    You know, it doesn't even look too bad.

Last edited: 6th Feb, 2022
    Stoffo, wylie and bmc like this.
  10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Ugh. No, a gravel garden is an eyesore, more maintenance and terrible for the environment. Plus one wayward stone on the footpath can cause your elderly tenant to slip and fall.

If the trees/shrubs are growing too big for your tenant to maintain then it would be cheaper to send a gardener twice a year to prune back than to rip everything up. If the grass on the other side of the shrubs is too much then I would consider replacing with artificial turf or increasing the rent slightly to cover a mowing service.

Beano likes this.
  11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Agree. If it is Melbourne, ALL plants should be removed, and the entire font and back yard concreted. Leave no soil visible :D:D:D

The Y-man

craigc, shorty, wylie and 3 others like this.
  12. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

and painted green with some concrete artichokes on the front fence. bueewdiful

craigc, shorty, Stoffo and 3 others like this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'll have you round to do the landscaping next time :confused:

bmc likes this.
  14. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

What about white concrete lions either side at entry to driveway?

Westminster and bmc like this.
  15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

16. Properwin

Properwin Well-Known Member

I agree with what everyone’s saying - I’m ok with remove plants that are blocking your frontage but some people like the privacy. But don’t gravel or concrete your front yard. Unless you are trying to do this:

8AFB4EAC-759E-4D5A-9F47-A7939ECBB34F.jpeg

Shogun and Noobieboy like this.