I met myself in 25 years time.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Depreciator, 26th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I bought a table saw from a bloke on eBay and went to pick it up the other night.
    Ray and the missus were moving out of the home they lived in for 49 years and going into an ‘assisted living’ place - vs ‘assisted dying’, I guess.
    He had an oversized double garage and was getting rid of his tools and bits and pieces.
    Boy, he had a lot of stuff, including an unfinished project – an old Buick. One of those big things with a bonnet about 10 feet long. I felt sorry for him. The outside bodywork was mostly done, but nothing was done on the interior, the brakes and suspension were buggered, and the engine didn’t run. I bet he has spent 15 years or so on it so far.
    We both stood there and looked at it probably thinking similar things.
    My sheds are at risk of getting out of hand. Some of the recent additions were given to me by my favourite uncle - various tools and materials that were his and my grandfather's. I now have nine timber planes of various sizes.
    I told my girls when I got home from Ray's that if in the next ten years they get wind of me thinking about buying a big old car to do up, they need to slap me.
    The thought of one day having to downsize fills me with dread - especially given my teenage girls, despite my repeated suggestions, have shown no inclination to take up a trade.

Colin Rice likes this.
  2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I thought you were going to say you bought that car off Ray.

JenW, Dan Donoghue and Ed Barton like this.
  3. Depreciator

No. I hope I mostly got the 'doing up a car' bug out of my system years ago when I did a 57 VW and a 62 Merc. I've done a couple of timber boats, too. And some properties. I do like a project, though.

4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

At least you live in the inner west so you're somewhat restricted. Imagine you lived out west on acres and had a 10 car garage. :eek:

5. Depreciator

Yes, a ten car garage would be a dangerous thing to have. But we do have an odd inner west property - big house, attached two storey warehouse, an office and two sheds (the old stables) and a 70sqm building in the yard with a long term subsidised resident. I'm hoping down the track to die in my shed in the middle of a project. If my wife died simultaneously in her studio that would be ideal. Boy, she has a lot of stuff - more than me. And most of it isn't nearly as useful as my stuff.

mr500, Angel, WattleIdo and 4 others like this.
  6. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Scott I feel your pain! The thought of de-cluttering makes me feel ill and to make it worse, I live on acreage :eek::D We are bower birds at times and just can't help ourselves.....

legallyblonde likes this.
  7. Depreciator

If I had an acreage, it would mostly be sheds and there would be real problems down the track.

Jacque likes this.
  8. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

We'll be cleaning our shed out come sale time but it's not going to be easy :(

9. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Haha - if i had a shed it would be empty, except for a whole lot of paint and dried up rollers :)

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If I had a shed i'd put it on a block, some hardstand & lease the bugger out!

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Your hair is quite straight. I can understand that your rollers would be all dried up by now.

12. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I got a 3m x 3m shed from Bunnings. Its depressing :mad:

13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Of course it's depressing.

When you compare the size of your private thing to that of another man, it can be very humbling.

14. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Or reassuring :D

Perthguy likes this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I know it's depressing Colin, 3 x 3 isn't big enough.

Colin Rice likes this.
  16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

We're moving into one of my IP's next year and already started the decluttering process.

At first it was extremely difficult to toss out, give away, or sell 'stuff' (that deep down I knew was superfluous to our needs).

But now, I find it extremely liberating to free our space up and eager to cull as much as possible.

Perthguy likes this.
  17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That sounds awesome.
    I've been itching to buy 2 pre 1980 cars recently.
    Forgot how much time and money they take up.

legallyblonde likes this.
  18. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

My neighbour had been doing up an old Ford XD. He was working on it well and truly by the time I moved in, and only recently finished it.
    Took it to one car show, and while he walked away to get some food for 20mins, some a**hole stuck a washer into the carby, then when he returned someone asked him to start her up. Completely stuffed it. The poor guy was devastasted. 4+yrs of work, $80k+ and it was only running for a couple of weeks.

His garage is decked out like a proper shop. Tools and storage on either side with a built in work desk. A proper car hoist.. everything you need apart from a dyno. Really really cool. Then you walk into the backyard/side of the house and see mountains of carparts etc. Crazy. He needs a warehouse.

After seeing this, I don't think I could ever work on an old car, as much as I would love to.

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

What you need is people who are really keen on doing up cars, and have all the gear that can do some work for you.

20. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

No wonder there are no reasonably priced pinball machines on the market, as all of you are probably hoarding them behind old vehicles in your ten acre double story sheds.

Colin Rice likes this.