I like Jacaranda

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by fullylucky, 29th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fullylucky

fullylucky Well-Known Member

I like jacarandas. I think they are good and will add value.

Where... can I get some pre-made ones instead of the p*** weak 1 meter shrub jacarandas for $8....

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cedar-creek/plants/jacaranda-trees/1090849218

Is it possible to get BCC to use the rates money I have been paying for over the years to actualyl spend it on something good like jacarandas? I think they will add value for the street and the suburb and all property owners. It would be foolish not to do it.

Last edited: 29th Oct, 2015
  2. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

They are beautiful trees no doubt about it. Planted in the right area and environment they can be a stunning addition. They can get huge so planting them in rear gardens near boundaries is a bad idea. On footpaths (particularly narrow ones) - bad idea. In an open space with no competition, no pipes, no boundaries, no swimming pools, and no neighbours - perfect.

Good luck with your search. Have you contacted the council and enquired about where to buy the larger specimens? They may have a nursery that they can refer you to.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Try a couple of the better nurseries but be prepared to pay $$ for mature plants.

Do jacarandas transplant well?

Last edited: 29th Oct, 2015
  4. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

I like Jacarandas too, I have a house under neath one, (Its in the the neighbours 3m wide back yard)
    Please make sure there is enough room for them! It drops branches the same size as me, and fun branches that have been eaten , and incests made their nests inside them.. Scary at this time of the year!
    I hope this helps

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Hubby transplanted two jacarandas. One lived and flourished and the other didn't. These were moved within our yard to new positions. They were both maybe 10 feet tall, trunk diameter 8 inches (not big but long past sapling stage)..

We looked at buying a (more) mature tree for our front yard and at the time it was about $1k (from memory - 20 years ago) so hubby moved one instead. The one that survived moved only a few feet to allow a deck to be built. The one that failed went from a shady rainforest style yard to a bare yard in almost full sun all day. I think it was too much of a shock for it.

6. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

Which neighbourhood are you in, might make a mental note next time I'm nearby?

The Y-man likes this.
  7. MIZBUF

MIZBUF Active Member

Mc Dougal St Kirribilli is a quiet street bordering a park which runs down to Careening Cove- At present it is a glorious haze of magnificent blue. Word must be ou tin the tourist brochures as yesterday I noted many Asian tourists strolling & madly snapping pics- but it was still a lovely quiet spot & a joy to see if UR a jacaranda lover.

fullylucky likes this.
  8. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

They're a tree that creates a lot of mess. For that reason, a body corp won't been keen on them.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I didn’t know that you came from such a close family.

Gingin and The Y-man like this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Our streets in my area are tree lined with Jacarandas, I absolutely love them, I call it purple carpet when they are in flower, just glorious. I don't care if they add value or not, its just visually amazing and makes you feel great to be alive.

Keep pushing for it, everyone in Australia should have jacaranda tree lined streets.:)

MTR:)

WattleIdo, Toon and wylie like this.
  11. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

Visit Grafton if you like Jacarandas. There's even an annual festival for the bloody things that just so happens to be on today. I only remember it as it was a public holiday so a day off school.