I have a useless proeprty manager, is this my responsibility?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by qq83, 2nd Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. qq83

qq83 Member

Have an investment property near Rouse Hill in Sydney.

Tenant has been living in for more than 12 months. Tenant just emailed and requested to get a brand new rangehood installed cos the current one is dirty. They argued that the ranghood hasnt been cleaned and its very dirty with oil dropping down.

I argued that its a maintenanance activity and hence hard to identify wheter its caused by the tenants or previous tenants so i propsed to share the cleaning cost (50% each) as i see no reason to get a new rangehood when the exsitng one is working perfectly.

Tenants keeps arguing that its cheaper to get a new one and the grease was casued by other tenants, and to make matter worse, my PM is pushing me to get a new rangehood installed. My questions are:

1. Do i need to get a new rangehood for the tnenats? i thought its maintenance in nature and needs to be looked after by the tenants. Of i dont have to how do i politely turn down that request?
    2. Any one recommend a good Property manager near Rouse hill/kellyville/Kings Langley? I have had enought with my current PM.!!!

Thanks

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  2. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Were pictures of the rangehood in the condition report?

I'd start there to argue the fact that it was the previous tenants.

Cleaning the rangehood is the tenants responsibility, if it wasn't cleaned at exit, and isn't in the enter report, tell them to clean it. If it is in the enter report, read the notes.

Sounds like the tenant is pushing the pm and they're giving in.

3. qq83

qq83 Member

yeah its really annoying!!! the PM just keep bugging me!. i mean i am happy to pay 50% cleaning cost given its impossible to identify who caused this.

I asked the PM why it was not identified in the entry report and she said it was impossible for the tenant to check the grease level in the rangehood.
    So i said i am happy to pay 50% of the rangehood cleaning cost, the tenant is like no its not worth cleaning we should get a new one..

4. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

It is down to the condition of the rangehood when they moved in. If it was clean - then their job/expense to maintain it and leave it clean, otherwise if your PM has failed to document it in the condition report or noted that it was not cleaned, its their stuffup. Resolution would involve some sort of negotiation between you, them and the tenants.

wylie likes this.
  5. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

For a rangehood to be "dripping" it honestly would take a few years of not more..

Sorry I missed the part where you said they have been living in the property for more than 12 months...

As the tenant has been living in the property for 12 months I'd argue that they need to clean it due to their usage.. it's been 12 months and they haven't cleaned their rangehood at all? Disgusting.

craigc, Lindsay_W, TMNT and 3 others like this.
  6. qq83

qq83 Member

Thanks Mel, the PM kept saying its impossible to check the inside of a rangehood. i am no expert but as a PM who is familiar with these things, is it true?

Thanks

7. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

Tenants need to clean the range hood. PM should be checking this in their 3-monthly inspections and notifying the Tenants to clean, if this job was being done right it should not get to the point where oil is dripping out the range hood. Cleaning a range hood is pretty easy, take the 1 or 2 filters out and wash with hot soapy water, paper towel the bulk of the oil up and then use degreaser and cloth etc. Should not be more than 1 hours work. If you want to spend money just send a cleaner in for that task only for $30, Tenants now happy + documented so when they leave it must be spotless. If it mechanically works fine no need to replace, but if it's old and also on the way out, a new one is like $110 from Bunnings and then you or handyman can install for probably $75-$150 depending if it's plug and play or does require electrician to install.

Last edited: 2nd Sep, 2019
    Archaon, Sackie, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  8. qq83

qq83 Member

Thanks Michael for the infor, very useful. Cheers

9. qq83

qq83 Member

Yeah i also find it very disguesting! but the PM is helping out the tenants more than me.lol

10. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I'm so confused.

Tell tenant to clean the thing, the end.

And it is possible to check inside, take the filters off :rolleyes:

11. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

@qq83

"I have a useless property manager, is this my responsibility?"

I will leave the other comments relating to the specific cleaning and repair items to the others. For now let me zoom right out and answer your title question... and your q2 at the bottom of your post.

YES.

You have a useless property manager. It IS your responsibility to choose a better one. They are a business partner. If you have a dud business partner it is because you chose poorly or you chose well and something changed. Either way, you should choose a better one now. Please do.

There are some very good operators on this forum so you could do worse than to use the search tool, spend some time reading and go from there. If you don't find what you want via search send a good Buyers Agent or investment broker a private message you will often find what you seek.

Dean Collins, Perp, TMNT and 7 others like this.
  12. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

In my personal experience its pretty easy to tell if a rangehood filter has been cleaned or otherwise. Oil will usually be visible or sit on the surface, or as @Lil Skater says, the filters usually come off easily, and as soon as you touch the rangehood you'll be able to tell if its oily or cleaned.

wylie and Michael Mitchell like this.
  13. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Yep. I remember moving into a new rental and starting cooking to find the heat causing the fat in the rangehood to drip into the food. Mind you, I just cleaned them myself immediately as it would take more of my time to complain.

Tom Rivera, Dan Wood and Athikalaka like this.
  14. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

^^^ This.

Your focusing on the wrong issue.
    The range hood is the tenants & PM's responsibility....The dud PM is your responsibility.

Forest for the trees.....(I've always wanted to say that in a post :))

tangy, Perp, TMNT and 3 others like this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member Premium Member

Your PM has gotta go. They've run their course. Time to euthanize and find a new one.

Archaon and Michael Mitchell like this.
  16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Agree with everything above, but would add that sending someone in to clean a range hood is such overkill.

Every range hood I've ever had or put into an IP simply unclips and you put it in the dishwasher. If there is no dishwasher, then it can be sprayed with a cleaner (oven cleaner from memory - foam) and hosed off.

Our "princess" tenant complained of this exact thing (among all sorts of other complaints). We did replace the range hood that time because it was very old.

But if it is not too old, and working, I cannot imagine anyone requesting the landlord or property manager to clean it. Would they ask the property manager to come in and scrub the toilet after using it for 12 months?

Kassy, Archaon, Perp and 2 others like this.
  17. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Wipe down existing rangehood
    Buy new mesh filters.
    (I'm assuming its one of those $200 rangehoods that recirculate)

18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They lost the phone number for the toilet fairy

19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

so now weve got tenants saying they want a new rangehood because its too dirty after 12 months

on another thread we have tenants demanding new cookware because their one is incompatible,

The joys of being a landlord!

Tom Rivera, tangy, Archaon and 3 others like this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member Premium Member

Weekly massage voucher is next.