I got two quotes from different draftmen, which one better

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by charlie01, 19th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

I got two quotes from different draftmen for my extension (60 - 70 M2 for a family room and one extra bedroom). one draftsman charges 50% more than the other.

The first quote includes:
    Single storey house extension
    Purchase of existing survey plan
    All drawings necessary for certification
    Any small design changes going forward
    (not included: 3D Images)

The second quote includes:
    Site plan
    Existing floor plans with demolition notes
    Proposed floor plans
    Elevations
    3D Views
    Sectional Views
    Slab setout plans
    Blank electrical plans with key
    construction notes and tiedown specifications.

My question is:
    Does "All drawings necessary for certification" in the first quote covers all the items (except 3 D view) listed in the second quote?

2. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

3. charlie01

I have no idea. The extension is in the backyard so I don't need survey plan. But he quote the cost for the purchase of the survey plan is $20. So I didn't bother to ask the detail.

4. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

that $20 would probably be just to order the deposited plan. that isnt for a surveyor.

Joynz likes this.
  5. charlie01

No, it was very clear the $20 was for the purchase of existing survey plan. The deposit for the drafting is $400, and the rest cost will be paid once it's done.

6. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

I’d work out which one can actually draw a plan and then pay the money he she asks. Cheap poor plans = higher build costs.

charlie01 likes this.
  7. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

So notes from my experience

1. did they give you what drawings are going to be in 1:100 or 1:50 scale (1:100 is fine for general areas Living rooms, bedrooms ect, But 1:50 is great in Kitchens, bathrooms where you need the extra detail for cabinetry .

2. Look at previous work or clients, my Architect didn't have any and I know why now

3. What's a small design change, flipping a door opening or moving a door? We had 6 revisions of drawing and only paid for 1 as most of the time it was items he missed from my marked up plans, even though I used a highlighter to cloud the area and wrote detailed notes.

4. Will they come to site once or twice if needed Think Check measures issues or create a solution to a unknown problem once Demo starts, such as hidden service.

5. Can they review Kitchen, laundry and bathroom joinery drawings to confirm they work in the space they have drawn and there is no services conflict or issues. This is handy when looking to add power points, drains, A/C vents, lights, water pipes, plumbing and electrical. 2nd set of eyes

6. Will you get a electronic copy of the drawings and a hard copy for future reference.

Your second quote looks more detailed, which will lead to easier builder quotes and less grey areas during the build, but you could ask quote one for clarification to make sure your comparing apples with apples

lettert and charlie01 like this.
  8. charlie01

Good idea. Thanks

The first quote doesn't include any details. Potentially it can be a problem.

Thanks Something_Wrong

9. charlie01

Hi, Something_Wrong:
    I just found some design / drawings on the facebook:

| Facebook

What do you think about this draftsman's work? Cheers.