Health & Family I got food poisoning, should I go back and complain?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by val, 21st Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. val

val Well-Known Member

Bought a lunch box of Singapore noodles from my local Chinese restaurant. Started getting stomach cramps about an hour later and threw up. Felt better almost immediately so it wasn't a severe case of food poisoning (not like when I got it in India and was in bed for days). Question, would you do anything about it? Go back and complain, demand free meal/refund or just leave it? I like their food and it was the first time I've been sick from eating it.

2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I would definitely alert them because it's an indication they have a problem that needs to be dealt with.

val, Terry_w and Propertunity like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I've heard that mixing drinks gives you a worse hangover, is it the same for mixed culture meals? :rolleyes:

aussieB likes this.
  4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Are you insane? You would consider eating there again?

samiam, val, Anthony Brew and 2 others like this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It might be better to report to the health authorities.

Food poisoning can take up to 48 hours to show symptoms. It may not have been the Singapore noodles.

But if there is a problem, you won't be the only one, and the health authorities will know if there have been other instances. They may ask about other places you've eaten.

I had a fast food place when there was a case of a person collecting a large sum of money from a food poisoning incident. I had a few people report symptoms to me so I reported to the health authorities who inspected my shop. They found everything satisfactory. However a shop with problems is unlikely to self report.

val likes this.
  6. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

val and Terry_w like this.
  7. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Some councils you can lodge a the details online and they will do an inspection on the business as part of their compliance.

val likes this.
  8. Sasim

Sasim Well-Known Member

@val , how are you normally with MSG? Add in shaking and headaches and that is pretty much how my body reacts if something is loaded with MSG. Just another suggestion or maybe explanation is all.:)

val likes this.
  9. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

If you are pretty much convinced it was good poisoning (not anything else) - I think the best thing to do is report it - which in NSW seems to be the council. It is pretty bad and not to be overstating it but people die from bad food (especially if immunocompromised).

val likes this.
  10. val

val Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice, I can relate to Homer Simpson so I will go back to alert them (I'm pretty sure it was the chicken in the noodles) and also buy another lunch pack.

11. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Lol, are you all there?

12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I remember getting food poisoning and spewing up in a doctor's surgery lol. Luckily the receptionist gave me a bucket in the nick of time.

Amazing how you feel better after throwing up but get really sick again at the next meal.

I think the best thing to do is go back the food joint and order another meal then ask for a bucket...... Just like in that Monty Python movie.

13. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Skip the bucket, take your revenge out on the restroom.

Foxdan and datto like this.
  14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

All right. Then sneak out the window without paying.

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A bucket for monsieur?

datto likes this.
  16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Sorry to say this.
    But if you were feeling sick in an hour. It's not food poisoning from that joint.

Many people (ignorance) often claim to get poisoning even during the meal.thats not possible unless it's laden with cyanide or something.

Food poisoning is typical 8hrs to 48hrs.
    2 hours is not impossible but unlikely . If it were 2 hours, then lots more people would get sick.
    It could have been something from the previous even if it's the same food you eat, you could have just had a bad batch Even if you cooked it your self.

Unfortunately with food poisoning everyone is convinced they know what caused it

Last edited: 22nd Jun, 2018
    EN710, Joynz and hobartchic like this.
  17. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

And if you felt better after throwing up once but didn't do so again it may not be food poisoning. It could be caused by other things.

Joynz likes this.
  18. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

I remember years ago getting really sick after having a really nice meal , which consisted of a really nice creamy pasta dish , but in hindsight it was the bottle of red wine that made all the difference.
    At Trade school ,many many years ago we were taught that food poisoning generally takes between 8-12 hours for the effects to happen.
    But saying that a lot of the food that you see at the chinese and asian style restuarants can be left sitting for hours in a bain-marie at optimal temperatures for bacteria to multiply, or It may have not been heated(or reheated) to a nice high temperature.

Last edited: 22nd Jun, 2018
  19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Food in a bain marie is safe over 60ºC. By law, health departments require temperatures to be taken at least once daily to ensure that hot foods remain above 60ºC and cold foods below 5ºC (but above freezing point). Records need to be kept and available for examination. Records can easily be faked though.

In the ACT at least, there's supposed to be at least annual safety inspections at least once annually, although personnel constraints mean this doesn't always happen. Many franchises have their own internal inspections, which included food safety, much more frequently.

Phantom likes this.
  20. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Food poisoning from bacteria is not likely to only take 1 hour - whether it is due to toxin produced or by bacterial overgrowth.List here
    Food poisoning (tab Type of Food Poisoning).

It could be that your stomach don't agree with some of the ingredients.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.