I feel like someone's being scammed.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by redchair, 20th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Did he provide any bank statements to confirm his "company" income? If he didn't I'd be worried about not getting rent paid.
    If he doesn't have that I'd want the lease term in advance!

2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

No visa.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Best to assume the emailed documents were probably fraudulent.

big max, Marg4000, wylie and 2 others like this.
  4. redchair

redchair Well-Known Member

I did view his passport and international drives license. He brought those with him when he signed the lease. Not that means their not fake... I'm no ASIO operative. I have no idea how to spot a fake.

I sent him a quick short email early today stating that the bond HAS to be lodged with the bond administrator as it is now a legal requirement and failure to lodge it can result in a fine up to $20,000. I said I will bring the paperwork when we hand the key's over and his lease officially starts (Early Feb). As of yet there has been no reply.

I also then sent a quick email to the bond administrator stating that I had brought the paperwork to the address for the prospective tenant to sign, but unfortunately I stuffed up and didn't get his signature on the paper work even though I received bond in cash. I said I had emailed him which is his preferred method of communication as he travels a lot internationally. Due to logistics I may not be able to get a signature off him until early feb, which is outside the 14 day grace period to lodge the bond. In the interest of being 100% transparent and to seek advice on the correct course of action I am informing you that I currently hold his bond in cash and am continuing to make all attempts to contact him but suspect I will be unsuccessful until early Feb.

Hopefully that is enough transparency and I avoid a spanking :)

I'll keep everyone updated on how the situation unfolds.
    The suggestions about subletting are quite interesting. I thought it was odd that he gave me the real estate agent hand shake when he walked up and he was smartly dressed.

I printed two copies of the agreement to sign so he could take one away with him, but he said he didn't need it and would just take photo's and email to himself. He knew which pages to take out of the standard Form 1AA, skipping the middle bits that state the rights of lessor and tenant. Like, he knew which parts of the form were relevant without having to look. Maybe he is just quicker and smarter than me. I tend to take my time and do things slowly :)

Perthguy and Terry_w like this.
  5. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Could he be setting it up as a air b'n'b?

big max likes this.
  6. Terrychris

Terrychris Well-Known Member

All these stories about Meth Labs and brothels.
    Brothels are not illegal in NSW by the way if you get Council approval.

People involved in Meth Labs are much more smarter than to turn up acting suspiciously.
    A high class Criminal Barrister once told me that you would never pick a Real "Mr Big of the Underworld" because they dont dress in tattoos and gold chains.

7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Do you actually need him to sign something to lodge the bond?

8. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Do you really need 3 pages of comments to realise 'If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, then it is a duck' to duck away from this one ...

9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I think your all over thinking it, nothing to see here really :)

10. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

You need to be in the drivers seat and dictate terms and what needs to happen, not the tenant.

If you can't take control and know the law well enough to make the descisions that are going to be in your favour long term then you need a property manager.

Danny370z likes this.
  11. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

AusTRAC and ATO would be among my first calls.

12. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

Sounds like a Visa overstay. What Country was the Passport from?

13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I doubt it, since he was happy for the OP to view his passport.

14. Hwangers

Hwangers Well-Known Member

hello - whereabouts is this property located? sounds like it is very appealing infrastructure wise :)

15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

As devil's advocado there are some cultures that have a healthy mistrust of government systems and policies and therefore don't want or see the need for their details to be in a govt system that is open to corruption. That isn't how our system works but they have had bad experiences in their own country.

Did you take copies of the documents he sent you?

Hopefully it works out well but there are some warning signs so keep an eye on it, make sure you follow every single responsibility as a Landlord so that you can claim on landlord insurance should you need to.

Handyandy and Perthguy like this.
  16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

"As devil's advocado"....
    Too much avocado on PC!

Citycat88, EN710, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Didn't we all give up our smashed avocado so we could buy IPs?

DaveM likes this.
  18. redchair

I've been busy at the rental today doing some monor maintenence. I did get a reply from him this morning though.

"Hello ********!
    Thats ok dont worry about that! we can done it on **/2
    Thanks so much"

I'll still keep an eye on my asset but I'm going to give him the benifit of the doubt.

Yes. Not sure about other states but in W.A. the bonds is held by the bond administrator, and must be lodged with the tenant and the lessors signatures. To release the bond a release form is submitted with both signatures and how much should be released to each party.

This property is in High Wycombe. I'm under the impression he was looking in the area because of the close proximity to perth airport. For those not familiar with perth, there is also massive main arterial road upgrades going on and also a new train line/station going in connecting the airport via rail to the rest of perth. About time realy. The station is going to be in "forrestfield" but really is close to High Wycombe. I think it's got a lot going for it and there are also larger older properties around the area. I've got another in HW that is 905sqm and JUST missed out on being rezoned R90. Litterally just. It was in the plans, but then the government anounced airport upgrades and moved the theoretical line of noise to just include my house. I'm sure I could get it passed though if I ever wanted to subdivide later.

That is excelent advice. Never heard of AusTRAC but I'll do some research. Thanks.

Vietnam.

Thanks for the advice Devils Advocado :D
    You should honestly change your handle to that. I love it! I'm learning as I go and I have the lessors handbook but ofcourse that doesnt say WHAT your obligations to your insurence company are. I've tried to get simple information from my insurers before too but honsetly, they WANT you to fail in your claim. I'm new to it all and had some low life take off owing me money. My insurer denied my claim as I stuffed a few things up (learning experience). I emailed the guy who denied it back to ask if I was covered for the NEW tenant that was coming in under the policy. "I cant tell you, you'll have to call sales. I only assess the claims". Like seriously... who better to tell me if I would be covered? EBM sent me a letter 2 days ago to say my policy expired. I dont think I'll be renewing it.

Toon and Perthguy like this.
  19. big max

big max Well-Known Member

My guess is it's a drug house or brothel and/or the guy is an illegal immigrant (or rents to illegal immigrants - ie your place will be sublet).

I would add a clause allowing landlord to make weekly inspections.

20. redchair

I don't think your allowed to make a clause like that.

Terry_w, Joynz and Perthguy like this.