I don't want it

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tranquilo, 18th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

From what I've heard from people, it's more the convenience rather than having to wait for a taxi.

2. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

https://www.uber.com/ if you want to know more.

Longest I've waited for one was about 5 minutes. Nothing but positive experiences and some awesome drivers, so far.

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've heard if drivers using it to make pickups. In more ways than one.

4. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I've heard good things about Uber, but wasn't the gov trying to take it down? Something about the drivers not being appropriately licensed?

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

The govt doesn't like it one little bit. Neither do taxi drivers. Considering taxi plates cost a few hundred thousand $$$, no wonder.

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It appears to vary by jurisdiction. It's going well in Sydney, but the guv is still grappling with some things in Canberra.

I can understand taxi drivers being oeeved. They've spent tens of thousands in taxi licences (and possibly training) only to have an unqualified kid with a licence competing on price.

Governments have become greedy with taxi licence plates.

7. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

A taxi trip from the airport to home is typically $150 to $200. No complaints then, although if it's a short work trip I save them money by parking at the airport.

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

A taxi plate in Sydney costs around $400k. Even in Canbrrr it's around $300k. I'd be pretty cranky if I paid that, but there's a flaw in the business model.

9. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Seriously? That's an insane amount of money.

Even if it wasn't that much, I don't blame them for being upset about Uber. I'm sure it's not a pleasant job and that's how they're supporting themselves/family.

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yep, it's crazy:
    "This year <2014>, the transfer value of a taxi licence in Sydney dropped to an average $375,000, the lowest level since 2008. Licence values reached a high of about $425,000 in 2011."

QLD? Ugh:
    "As of October 2014, standard Taxi Licences are selling at around $525,000.00 plus Stamp Duty (approximately $17,700.00 based on a purchase price of $525,000.00) plus GST if applicable."

11. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

$6 minimum. We do a lot of short trips in the CBD. I caught from CBD to the Gabba yesterday and it was $8, CBD to Morningside last night and it was $12.
    The app automatically takes the fare from your credit card at the end of a ride.

12. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I haven't used it myself but as per my previous, a number of friends and workmates do. I read somewhere if $25 in a taxi, then $8 for Uber

Bottle of water and pack of mints on pick-up, drivers rated on your App- they can probably rate passengers also if obnoxious?

Funnily enough a frind used Uber and was picked up by a taxi (Moonlighting Uber) :confused:

13. Steven Ryan

I don't believe it's legal (legislation is far too old to deal with Uber) but consumers have spoken.

When and idea's time has come, it cannot be stopped.

See: Airbnb.

14. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Uber is great in LA and good in Brissie, RPI is a big fan
    ta
    rolf

15. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

He should put things in perspective. Some fares will be short and some long, so in the long run it should all work out. Who knows maybe he struck a few short trips back to back, but no need to be rude and unprofessional.

Remember his number and next time do a runner...!

JOKING.

16. Steven Ryan

Can't do a runner on Uber..

17. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

You wouldn't want to do a runner on Uber. It's uber Uber...

18. Flying_Spanner

Flying_Spanner Member

Another +1 for Uber, unfortunately SA is still trying to get its head around Uber X, however it still links you to Uber Black (registered drivers and a little more expensive, not to forget the luxury vehicles).

19. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Uber is a brilliant disruptor. Latest round of VC funding valued it at US$50 billion!

20. cal

cal Member

+1 for Uber (especially UberX), I will never use a taxi again if I have a choice.

Drivers are required to maintain above 4 star rating to keep driving. You can live track your uber and the app will show you who is coming, their profile and the details of the car. Can get hard to book an UberX on busy nights obviously and Uber will put a multiplier on fares (which they openly declare) to attract more drivers to busy areas.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia