I am buying a unit - who to contact for building review?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by PropDir, 8th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi all,

I am buying a residential unit which will be used as both an investment and for some other additional personal purposes.

I will be doing the strata check for the unit as I would normally do, however I also wanted to do some due diligence around the building because it is a new/recently built building. Just want someone to check it it out (has around 2 blocks of units with around 35 units per block), to mainly ensure we don't have another 'Opal Tower' type building on our hands, and that it's a solid building structure and all fine. The buildings are only 4-5 stories high.

Any thoughts/advice here would be good as it will provide some added level of comfort.

Thanks.

Gforce likes this.
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Pest and building inspection
    Strata review and report (eg financial issues with strata being underfunded and any maintennace and defects risks noted)
    Solicitor searches

Gforce likes this.
  3. PropDir

Hello - I'm aware of these, but would a 'Pest and Building Inspection' for a unit also cover a look at the health of the building as a whole? I know for a house it covers it given the house is relatively 'small' whereas a building complex of units is massive.

Gforce likes this.
  4. Gforce

Gforce Active Member

How did u go Prop?

5. PropDir

Hi Gforce - I bought the property in May this year - I investigated and did my research on the builder, read through reports about the building, and it all checked out well.

The apartment is currently leased out to a tenant till July 2022, and I will be moving in there to use it as my own from that point. Very happy with the purchase.

Never giveup likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia