Hyphenated Street Numbers and Different Street Numbers Used

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Pumpkin, 14th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Happy Monday everyone!

I have always thought about this but havent done anything. And now I decided today is the day I would speak out. Hope this great Community can share your thoughts. Please bear with me.

We have some properties having hyphenated street names and I sort of understand how that happened. For example, it started as Lots 11,13,15 which were then amalgamated, so the new street reference is 11-15 Adam Street.

But being a Minimalist, I think this can be simplified. Otherwise, we would end up with situations like:
    1. 11/11-15 Adam Street, Suburb.
    2. 15/11-15 Adam Street, Suburb.
    Had seen too many cases where postie got the wrong parcel in the wrong Unit!
    ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    The other common problem is the Authorities dont seem to have a consensus on what address to use for Complexes on a corner, between a main road and a smaller street ...

We have various Providers, eg for Utilities (Electricity, hot-water, water, internet, foxtel), Body Corp, Banks and they each use whatever address they like, well, at least that's what it looks to me.

I have numerous occasions where the other person on the line told me sternly that they dont have my account or street name, until I gave them the Account Number.

This is a crazy world!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

bmc and Pumpkin like this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

The ashphalt outside our residence was originally named "Adam close", it is noted on all the survey and title documents as such.

Fast forward 20+ years and some boffin in local council lists it as "Adam street" :confused:

It might not seem like a big deal, but it has taken years for all the navigation services for all the various devices to catch up :rolleyes:
    Even now I still tell people both, close or street "if you can't find it :oops:

Too many lost parcel's and cold pizza later o_O

Pumpkin likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

marty998 likes this.
  5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Am now "street's ahead" :D

marty998, Archaon and Scott No Mates like this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We have an investment property that used to be in a "suburb" called Rothbury - around 3years ago council moved the suburb boundaries and it's now called "Pokolbin" - you wouldn't believe how many utility companies can't find the property when coming out for a service or install. I now tell them both suburbs with a disclaimer that it "used to be known as ... "

I do have to chuckled - we are on a rural property of 12 acres, that was subdivided off another property, there are about 5 digits between the property numbers either side but we still got called 123A by the council

Sackie and Pumpkin like this.
  7. Pumpkin

Oh dear! Need a summary, TLDR.

8. Pumpkin

Unbelievable!

9. Scott No Mates

I bet that added $$$ to your valuations too. Better than a rezoning, a whole new soil classification for grape growing. :D

Archaon and Lizzie like this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Damn straight!

Scott No Mates likes this.
  11. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

The TL;DR is that there is an AUS/NZ standard that is followed by councils when assigning street addresses, and has some pretty strict rules (more than most people realise).

I believe each state uses a central database of council addresses, but sometimes there's some miscommunications between service providers.

12. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be upto the LRS when you go through the subdivision process, and couldn't you potentially retitle?

During my first subdivision my town planner was in talks with LRS as they wanted to name my house after the street it was my fronting onto (corner block) instead of where the street frontage is.

13. Pumpkin

[QUOTE="thatbum, post: 747692, member: 103"... Ibelieve each state uses a central database of council addresses, but sometime there's some miscommunications between service providers.[/QUOTE]

Granted. But I fail to understand why 3 different utilities companies and Council would use 3 different addresses....Some hyphenated and some not....

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Possibly able the "rename" - but not worth the hassle ... just seemed odd

We didn't do the subdivision, and both blocks 123 and 123A were subdivided off different side-by-side properties by different owners (but at the same time) ... maybe the town planner was just having an off day

Archaon likes this.
  15. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

I've got a weird one where I own as well.
    33 is on one side of the road, and 33a is on the other.

Seems the dividing road was put in as an afterthought, or the road easement went straight down the middle of the block.

16. Scott No Mates

Subdivided by a Qlder hey

Archaon likes this.
  17. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

we were originally assigned Unit 1 & Unit 2 on our last subdivision, we wanted A & B, our place is funny it is sort of side by side and sort of back & front. We had some carefully selected conversations with council and got it changed at the last minute. However we have some utility providers that now have us registered as 1 or 2 unit.

We were super lucky on a development it was a corner lot and we retained the front house which faced the street the lot was numbered and named from. The new units at the rear faced the side street which happened to end at the high side of numbers e.g. next door was 50 so we got 52 & 54 NameOfSide Street, as the new addresses rather than units 1, 2, 3 of 20 MainFacingStreet. I am pretty sure that piece of luck made us at least 5 figures a unit.

Pumpkin likes this.

The shift to the regions has been quite profound with Millennials and Gen X leading the way. It seems affordability, lifestyle, and working from home have been the key drivers from which these generations have been able to take most advantage.