QLD Hype Moreton Bay Shire Qld

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by sash, 16th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Propertyman

Propertyman Well-Known Member

That when you listed the property for rent? That's solid demand for your property so well done. Out of interest what did you rent it out at?

When new properties pop up I have been calling agents and a lot are saying it's already under offer (after one or two days) so once I'm ready (in about a month) I'll have to be quick

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

A few points from a linked article:
    • Funding is still not completely allocated for the University.
    • Council Plans also include a hospital, sports precinct and a business hub.
    • Remediation of the site is planned for completion by July 2017.
    • Political donations ... ( read the article )
    Petrie USC fast-track comes with caution

Nevertheless, good that other facilities such as a hospital are planned for The Mill precinct.

Gockie likes this.
  3. wombat777

According to onthehouse, Petrie is showing 3% growth for the quarter. Perhaps due to shortage of stock?

IMG_5911.jpg

4. kimbo

kimbo Active Member

Hi Everyone

Just wondering any locals that know Kallangur well enough? Is the Kallangur station opened? Can't seem to see locate it on any maps.

5. wombat777

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  6. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

Been opened since October 4, it's just north of Dohles Rocks Road. Kallangur serves more of Murrumba Downs than Kallangur and vice versa.

7. kimbo

kimbo Active Member

Thanks for the info

8. wombat777

9. wombat777

Further impetus for the development of the Uni precinct with a planning gong.

University Precinct awarded Queensland’s ‘Best Planning Idea’

Moreton Bay Region’s University Precinct has been awarded Queensland’s Best Planning Idea for 2016.

Mayor Allan Sutherland said the project had secured the top honour at the 2016 Awards for Planning Excellence held last night in Brisbane.

“Moreton Bay Regional Council is transforming the old Petrie paper mill into a bustling new precinct that will generate thousands of local jobs and study opportunities for the people of our region,” Mayor Sutherland.

“Known as The Mill at Moreton Bay, this state-of-the-art project will feature a major new university, a train station, and host community, sporting and commercial activities onsite.”

Mayor Sutherland said it was a huge honour to win the state-wide award and also go into the running for the national awards next year.

The Mill at Moreton Bay was declared a Priority Development Area (PDA) in September 2016 by Queensland Deputy Premier, Jackie Trad MP.

The PDA is approximately 460 hectares in total and encompasses the suburbs of Petrie, Kallangur and Lawnton, including:

• Revitalised Petrie town centre
    • New retail and commercial space and residential development
    • University of the Sunshine Coast Petrie campus with 10,000 students by 2030
    • More than 100 degrees including law, business, science, engineering and speciality courses such as mechatronics
    • More than 6,000 ongoing jobs
    • Sporting facilities, parklands and shared pedestrian and cycle pathways
    • 110 hectares conservation land, including 16 hectares of lakes.
    Edit - photos below added

1. Petrie and University Precinct - before the Paper Mill was demolished

IMG_0359.JPG

2. Google Maps image - after the paper mill has been largely demolished

IMG_0360.jpg

Last edited: 16th Nov, 2016
  10. wombat777

A great potential property in Petrie at the moment. A pity I am not in buying mode o_O:(

11. wombat777

This new planning application in Lawton is a good example of what can now be done in the Moreton Bay urban zones. You can also do townhouses but check minimum building heights are practical.

MasterView 2.0 Application Master

I have two sites in Moreton Bay with Urban Zoning :D
    IMG_6021.jpg IMG_6022.jpg

IMG_6023.jpg

Drizzt Do'urden and samiam like this.
  12. sash

sash Well-Known Member

It is fantastic to see how well Moreton Bay has progressed over the last 12 months...when I started this thread there was a lot of debate to whether it would performed. My money was there as I have 4 there...and have not been disappointed.

At the last meet-up I met a young lady who told me she was struggling to get into Strathpine at 390k...wow...these seems only yesterday when 350k would have comfortably got you a decent house...not any more.

I feel ...the next move would be some of the inner city units and T/H in boutique blocks as people get priced out of house. I think this is only matter of 1-2 years...as the Brisbane market moves to next level...

bobbyj and Steven_S like this.
  13. Drizzt Do'urden

Drizzt Do'urden Well-Known Member

Nice find @wombat777, scouring the council website late at night ? ;)

I don't mind the facade but those side set-backs look like overkill. I can only assume they are what they are to conform to council regulations.

The floorplan itself looks quite squishy but then again I don't think I've ever seen an apartment floor plan in Australia where this isn't so.

14. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

I'm loving all the activity/proposed activity in this region. Anyone that has invested/is currently looking, in your view, what is the downside risk in this region?

Tanking QLD economy?

15. jafeica

jafeica Well-Known Member

As an owner in Redcliffe I actually disagree with the general consensus of progress on here, especially in the rent market.

Softening demand.
    Falling rents.
    Expensive council and water.

Looking at the sold listings I'm not even sure I see progress especially at the bottom end of market where properties available around 300k, same as two years ago.

I think Kippa Ring has definitely gone up in value, but I don't see that having moved into Redcliffe yet.

16. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

When I looked the return was no more attractive than what I could get much closer to the city either. Maybe a lot of the take up has been due to PC and it's members :)

17. wombat777

planningalerts.org.au

Drizzt Do'urden likes this.
  18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Do you think that in a few years from now, Moreton Bay will be just as popular as the suburbs a bit closer in, such as Chermside and Aspley?

If they both get the same rate of growth and popularity, then after a few years, given the lower buy-in price, Moreton Bay's popular suburbs close to civilisation (like Westfields, cinemas and hospitals) and the rail "should" grow quite well: I would think better than Morayfield, Deception Bay, Dakabin, and Caboolture.

19. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Angel...this is already happening...if the decentralisation found in Melbourne and Sydney happens in Brissie this will be even quicker.

The growth rate in Moreton has hit critical mass...my thinking is as follows:

Margate, Clontarf, Redcliffe, Kippa Ring will probably hit high 4s, low 5s as a median on the next 2-3 years

Strathpine, Lawntown, Bald Hills, Petrie will have mid to high 4s as a median over the next 2-3 years.

Deception Bay will have a high 3 or low 4 in the next 2-3 years

Very little land left in these pockets and demand is now high

Angel likes this.
  20. wombat777

Another update. This is more a case of real estate agents spreading the word on the rezoning and the potential for the area around the new train line.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/quest...e/news-story/f29d08ff3a7e026ea057e9a8f9184547

On Petrie and Kallangur:

Mr Grant said Kallangur and Petrie stations presented some of the biggest opportunities for development due to the Priority Development Area for the Mill at Moreton Bay Project, which is the proposed site of a new university in partnership with University of the Sunshine Coast.

“These (developments) are going to happen very quickly, in the next 12 months you’ll see the first ones coming out of the ground,” Mr Grant said.

On Mango Hill:

Between September 15, 2015 and July 7, 2016 Mr Grant sold four adjoining properties at Anzac Ave, Mango Hill to a group of developers for a collective $26 million.

The value of the land more than doubled in that time, from $112.80 per sq m to a peak of $251.80 per sq m.

Would like to know what sites they are.