QLD Hype Moreton Bay Shire Qld

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by sash, 16th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I know there is a hype Brissie thread...so in honor of Moreton Bay..I am setting up a Hype Moreton Bay Shire Thread.

I must declare I am very biased as I have 4 houses in that region in Clontarf, Strathpine, Margate, and Deception Bay

Why do I like Moreton Bay:

1. It is near water
    2. Has lots of infrastructure going in
    3 Lots of FHBs in addition to investors are targeting the area
    4. As Brisbane gets bigger 20-30 klms out is not that large a distance....people are going a lot further out South and West of Brissie

Comments welcome...

MWI, rookie101, Tekoz and 9 others like this.
  2. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

Love anything close to the water(direct waterside suburbs)
    We looked at Strathpine for our buyers and it looks HUGE but decided -
    why buy that far from the CBD when you can buy as close to the water -closer to the cbd for around the same money

3. Vk8975

Vk8975 Well-Known Member

I'll expand on point 2 and say, new university currently being built to serve up to 10000 students.

The region is also expected to have a surge in population as a result of all the infrastructure and affordable housing, etc.

Realist35 and Tekoz like this.
  4. Arashi87

Arashi87 Well-Known Member

Any idea of where exactly the campus will be located at Petrie?

fridayfrothys likes this.
  5. Vk8975

Vk8975 Well-Known Member

Arashi87 likes this.
  6. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

Is the university actually confirmed or is it still just a proposal?

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Interesting.... about 18 months ago you woul have gotten into Moreton Bay near water suburbs for low 3s.

Now you are paying high 3s.

Unless I am mistaken there is nothing closer to Brissie for under 4s. You could have gotten into Brighton and Wynnum, Manly for low 4s now it is more like mid 4s.or even 5s

Taku Ekanayake likes this.
  8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Irregardless of whether the uni goes there not...there are already major employers like Costco, IKEA, and the Westfield expansion.

The other thing is rail...in another 10 years...Brisbane traffic would rival Sydney...so rail will become more key. In another 10 years...Brisbane will have almost 3m people...based on current forecasts. So that strip from the Sunshine Coast down Gold Coast should have about 5m people...about the same size as Sydney just more spreadout.

9. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

Interesting.... about 18 months ago you woul have gotten into Moreton Bay near water suburbs for low 3s.

Now you are paying high 3s.

Unless I am mistaken there is nothing closer to Brissie for under 4s. You could have gotten into Brighton and Wynnum, Manly for low 4s now it is more like mid 4s.or even 5s

Your right -Totally not much left for those prices but for very few renos-
    imho though still better off getting in closer as its a big area-Thats not to say strathpine etc wont grow but it will take longer i reckon

10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Luke...try buying quality in Strathpine...Bray Park...Kallangur now...it is ****** fight....

The same in placea like Kippa Ring, Clontarf, Woody Point...the market has moving quicky.

Would not be surprised to see a 4 in front places like later before the end of the year.

For Strathpine and surrounds mid 3s plus is the norm...again 4 in front is likely before mid next year. That would represent a 15% gain from the median now.

Tekoz likes this.
  11. Aether

Aether Active Member

Hey guys,

Looking at buying my first investment property in Brisbane and just visited the city yesterday to check out some areas, including the Moreton Bay region.

The first thing that struck me on my drive to Strathpine from Brisbane Airport was that there looked like there was so much empty land around? I believe most of this land was in low lying areas prone to flooding, however, I noticed a few cows in these 'paddocks' so I'm not sure whether this land is indeed flood prone or just farmland waiting to be sold in future to be developed?

Saw lots of infrastructure upgrade happening between Petrie and Kippa-Ring which is good, but also saw a lot of new properties being built, particularly around Kallangur, which may ease prices in the area?

I really liked the peninsula suburbs such as Redcliffe, Margate and Clontarf. Nice beaches which had a real coastal town feel to it, however, do most people in these areas really commute to Brisbane to work? The drive to Brisbane took about an hour due to the traffic and this was on a Saturday. I'd hate to think what peak hour traffic would be like.

The new railway will definitely help in this respect, however, I've also read that Brisbanites don't utilise public transport as much as Sydneysiders and Melbournians do?

Would love to hear your thoughts regarding the above. Thanks.

New2prop likes this.
  12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

There are plenty of places in Sydney and I do not know Melb much, but you can see parts of the west that were low lying, so they simply fill, then build :)

There is still a lot of land zoned rural, on both sides of the river, I know south they want to keep it that way and it is flood prone too. There are also areas that are reserves for whatever reason.

There is def more filling in to do however compared to Sydney, so that means ops into the future I guess.

13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I think the land that Aether refers to is the wetlands/estuaries along the Gateway Motorway on her drive from the airport to Bald Hills to access Strathpine. I cannot believe anyone would build on it in the future - I suspect this is the Nudgee mudflats on either side of creeks that flow out to the bay. Around the Pine Rivers at Bald Hills and Griffin (Dohles Rocks) and at Boondall (in Brisbane) you have quarries and farmland and environmental wetland parks and Indigenous sites.

At Bald Hills/Bracken Ridge right where the two motorways join up, developers have raised a low-lying area and are currently building on it. Who will be rushing out to live at the intersection of two motorways?

From what I have noticed, recent state govts and the Moreton council have been freaking about sea level rise. But we can never trust the authorities to stick with their public policies indefinitely, can we. If you want waterfront, buy on top of a cliff, I say.

14. dabbler

Manly is your answer :)

15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We don't use public transport as much as people down south, because, well PT just doesn't go where we necessarily want it to go. I have lived in Brisbane/Pine Rivers all my life and PT has improved existentially in the last ten years.

I personally believe that people who work in the city would previously not consider living on the Peninsula due to the commute. Once the rail line is operating, more city-commuters will relocate to these places, attracted by the more affordable housing and all the aesthetics of the beaches.

My tenants at Scarborough have been FIFO, a local restaurant manager, and someone who works at the airport.

Aether likes this.
  16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Whose side are you on?

17. dabbler

No ones :)

but it is up high and right over the water :) Did not notice that going North from Airport to Redcliffe area. Ok then, you can go north....you can get some of it at Wynnum too :D :p

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Did not notice what? The swamps, I mean environmentally important bird migratory wetlands?

19. joanmc

joanmc Well-Known Member

Please hype away people! I would love to see my Cabbo properties jump up from where they are now!

Angel likes this.
  20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I reckon there wont be a massive jump in the area like you would see in Sydney but you'll see a constant and noticeable increase...