HWS Replacement

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Propin, 26th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I’m just curious if my expectations are too high. If your Hws needed replacement in a rental would you expect one quote only off your PM?

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Your PM probably replaces a HWS on one of the properties he/she manages every week or two. So your PM has been down this road before. To you it’s probably a once in 10-15 year event.

All the same feel free to get your own quote for comparison.

Propin likes this.
  3. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yeah, it seemed a bit high so I asked for more quotes, she said they only used one other plumber so I agreed to get a quote off him. He provided a guesstimate after a week or so. So I asked for an on-site quote a few weeks later I got a revised guesstimate off photos. But this has been going on since before Christmas so I guess first fixed quote has expired. Hmmm/ Dunno, my husband’s a plumber and he thought $2000 was a bit steep but maybe not

Last edited: 26th Mar, 2019
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It is now 3 months after Christmas and it still hasn't been replaced. Is it necessary?

Propin likes this.
  5. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I’ve questioned that. It’s leaking apparently, Tenant has 5 or 6 kids so it will get a work out in winter. I hear Brisbane has been hot!

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

So you need a massive storage unit, hence the price tag.

Did they price up a 22 l/m instantaneous unit (or two)? Running costs should be lower but what the ^&%$, the tenant pays running costs.

7. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

It’s for this 315l, which is the size of existing HWS. So about $1000 installation and dumping old fees. Electric Hot Water Systems | Thermann

8. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Seems strange 3 months to replace a water heater. Are you sure it really needs replacing or is it just the pressure valve or some fittings leaking.

Quick look for water heater replacement in Perth

Rheem 491/492 Series Electric Hot Water Systems - Perth 1800 087 244

These guys will replace a 315lt electric site unseen for $1708 all up.

Propin likes this.
  9. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yeah it does seem a bit strange, all I know is that it’s leaking from the top. How’d you find that?? :) Property is in Brisbane, I’ll see if I can find similar to your link.

10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We had a 260lt hws replaced recently for $1750. My PM got 2 quotes from their plumbers and the other quote was $200 more. The original hws was repaired three years earlier but was now totally stuffed. It was quoted on and replaced within 2 days.

Have you asked for photos and full info regarding why a replacement rather than a repair.

Kassy and Propin like this.
  11. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

These guys quote $1735 for a 315L in Brissy: Prices. Bunnings will also quote you over the phone for the unit and installation.

However there's likely to be additional costs such as a tempering valve and lodging paperwork with Council (apparently a requirement in QLD?).

I recently replaced a 125L for $1430 in Logan, they also quoted about $300 to repair as an option (although mine was on its last legs).

Last edited: 27th Mar, 2019
    Propin likes this.
  12. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Get him to fly out and change it on a weekend :)
    Just checked the flights... damn that's expensive.
    Maybe just gotta cop the $2k price :)

Propin likes this.
  13. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! Yes, I've requested photo's and that's a good question, 'can it be repaired?'. Thought about flying but 9hrs not worth it! :) Thanks for the price comparisons too!!

14. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

A good idea is to actually try and find out how old it is , trying to repair critical equipment that is getting on in age can just create another problem within the system,just due to its age.
    You might spend $300 on a repair , and 3 months later , it breaks down again.
    HW systems have a bad habit of going at the worst time , right a the start of weekends , or even when your on holidays, or out of contact and the tenants organise the repairs themselves , or the plumber you intended to use is unavailable or on holidays.
    If you know its coming to the end of its life , waiting till it completely breaks down , can cost you hundreds of dollars extra in weekend callouts , or trying to source a HWS at a moments notice.

Propin, Angel and Mel Morgan like this.
  15. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thanks marmot! I've been trying to remember if we've replaced it in the past 10yrs we owned it. It had an opening value of $741 on depreciation report. If accountants records are correct it hasn't been replaced. I just realised she has put 2 HWS down for another property so you never know.

16. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

HWS often go at time they are needed, or that is when it is noticed, so many times it may be an urgent repair...i.e no time to play around with multiple quotes.

Someone cheap would charge 1500 ish, but expect 2k -2.5k depending on day and time.

Propin likes this.
  17. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My gut is saying replace before winter, I'm feeling a bit uninformed that it;s leaking from the top and needs to be replaced at $2000, from PM's plumber without an explanation - no bill for inspection, is that normal?, it made me feel suspicious, and after requesting a 2nd quote i get a guestimate quote from photo's off the other PM's plumber. After a month he hasn't been able to give onsite quote. It's a hard call, I'm tempted to just get a reasonable quote myself and replace, PM's on leave, while my other Pm is on leave, etc. I'll be putting it on the market in about 4 months.

18. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

If it still is heating water, but leaking from the tank, you have to replace, get the best price as is non urgent, but will become so soon most likey, either by leaking too much anf hot water runs out too fast, or completely failing to hold pressure.

And no one wants be wasting hot water, so ring around

Propin likes this.
  19. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

If the plumbers are quite busy there are not going to waste to much time running around giving onsite quotes, unless they know its broken down or needs a urgent repair.
    Just get a couple of quotes yourself , for an exact replacement, sometimes there will be other small costs ,and you will need to include removal of the old unit, then compare the prices, if there is only a small variance , go with the PMs choice
    The PM plumbers cost is probably a take it or leave price , he is probably not going to waste more time doing another inspection, especially for rentals where he needs to also tee it up with the agent or tenants.
    If its an external unit with only a very small leak in the inlet side(cold water), it might just need monitoring to see if the problem deteriorates, but saying that most leaks will just get bigger over time , unless its just a loose fitting and is a pretty easy fix
    The problem is if its leaking hot water and an internal HWS , then the tank will be continuously trying to heat up water and its costing money.

Propin likes this.
  20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

HWS will leak for a bit and as I learned - It will then fail on the Sat morning you plan to go away. Or on Sat afternoon after 2pm when the 24/7 guys all charge extra

Propin likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia