How will you deal with the rollover of your IO loans into Principal and Interest payments?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Whiz, 14th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

How will you deal with rollover of IO loans to P&I payments on your investment loans?

Poll closed 23rd Jan, 2020.
  1. I intend to sell a property within the next 12 months

8.9%
  2. I intend to sell 2 or more properties

3.4%
  3. I will have to sell most of my properties

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm already selling

2.8%
  5. I can manage the P & I repayments - just!

25.1%
  6. I can manage the P & I repayments easily

59.8%
  1. Ethan Timor

Ethan Timor Well-Known Member

Banks aren’t normal businesses and shouldn’t be compared to nor treated as such :rolleyes:

MWI likes this.
  2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

Its not a borrowing crunch. people can borrow money. They just cant borow as much and on the same terms. The ceiling is lower and the holding costs are higher. And that's where I would argue that for those who arent speculating, that ceiling is temporary and the holding costs are manageable. They can get past the ceiling with dividend reinvestment/ debt reduction, whereas speculative investors cant get past the ceiling without selling or finding large windfalls or pay rises elsewhere

The semantics dont really matter. Give it any name you prefer ( except credit crunch) What matters is that speculators are now operating a very fragile model because the ingredients that helped make it work have been removed. The lack of borrowing capacity is only a small issue, in the grand scheme of things. The holding cost increases when the P& I resets come along is going to be enough to sink many speculators ships or at least do some real damage.

Dividend Reinvestment/debt reduction is the way forward for building and holding and eventually building further and holding further... that's what will keep ships afloat .

Anyway... go forth and pay down debt.

Ethan Timor likes this.
  3. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

I'm not sure the P&I migration is going to cause mass chaos all round, but investors with large portfolios are certainly in the cross hairs. On the upside, there's generally been asset price inflation over the past 5 years or so across markets, so those that played the game and decide to sell up will likely do so at a profit (assuming good allocation of capital into rising markets).

Also the PC average user isn't really reflective of the debt profile of the broader nation (30% of homes are not mortgaged, IO now accounts for <30% of total outstanding debt and coming down).

MWI and Bender12 like this.
  4. Whiz

Whiz Well-Known Member

That's seems like a fair assessment.

However, even though chaos may not ensue, the P&I migration is going to have/is having an effect on the housing market.
    Any thoughts on how extensive that might end up being?

I am wondering if there will be a longish period of price stagnation across the board. For those of us who are planning to sell, timing is important - if we have the luxury of being able to choose that timing.....

5. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

If a whole lot of people have to sell at once, and buyers do not have to buy, or they can't...it won't be good.

6. Martinez22

Martinez22 Well-Known Member

Meaning apply for an extension - my lender will allow it. So maybe reiterate

7. Martinez22

Martinez22 Well-Known Member

I understand if you had to apply for a brand new IO loan, servicing sucks. However, a few lenders allow for an extension so this should buy people some extra time?

8. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    It’s just kicking the can down the road - now they’ll roll to P&I after 10 years instead of 5 and their repayments will jump 65% instead of 50%

Gen-Y and Terry_w like this.
  9. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

very few

ta

rolf

10. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

What about going the other way. If you are long term P&I with substantial equity, are banks open to offering (for existing customers) 5 year IO (and at same rate as existing P&I). This use to be all the go, but don’t see it being offered at all. And I suspect it is subject to a full servicability check (no thanks).

11. Rolf Latham

no

but

if one has the equity and the serviceability, lender X will do the deal at a decentish rate, sub 4s even

just gotta chase around

ta

rolf

Harry30 likes this.
  12. sammmeee

sammmeee Well-Known Member

Am in the awful titanic boat of Perth
    Purchased ppor 2007
    ip 1 2010
    Ip 2 2011
    Ip 3 2014
    Ip 4 2015

Ip 1 & 2 went up so got deposits for 2&3
    Now all have dropped significantly below purchase price. All except poor on IO

Broker said amp would extend IO period for another 5 years no questions asked. Called yesterday to say they did a desktop valuation and they came in too low so will not extend IO. Looks like our serviceability was fine...
    Will add an extra 600-800 a month to payments.

what scares me is IP 3 bought in our mini boom. Broker said Bankwest will extend out to 10 years IO without a doubt. Unfortunately he said that about AMP. This one could break us. If we sell, we owe the bank way too much, as this one has dropped the most.

I just dont know how we are going to weather the storm. Im sure we will but its just not looking good. Prices are at record lows here as are rents..IP 1 was getting 360 pw...this is now at 240. These are all city/suburb investments no mining town purchases.

Ethan Timor and Terry_w like this.
  13. Sashatheman

Sashatheman Well-Known Member

We only have two IPS but have already converted ours about a year ago to I&P repayments due to more favourable rates offered.

I voted that we can manage easily, because the leverage is quite low on these.

Perthguy likes this.
  14. Rolf Latham

if servicing is fine, and you MUST have IO, I would look hard at doing a valuer shop ?

ta
    rolf

15. ZachAnsel

ZachAnsel Well-Known Member

One of my relative use the combination of :
    a. Selling one low yield IP that increase quite significant in value - done
    b. Refinance 2 x IP for another 5 years - done
    c. Refinance 2 x IP shorter length 3 years - done
    d. Refinance 1 x IP shorter length 1 year - done
    d. Refinance/Reset about 4 x IP to 30 years P&I - partially done
    His case is one example creative maximizing serviceability post APRA, not representative of the mass wider investor community

luckyone and Perthguy like this.
  16. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I am sure this will be an option for some.

17. PandDos

PandDos Active Member

the voting options should have another option. not that i cant afford it, but i will be borrowing more and putting it in an offset account. the offset account will be paying my principle.. in essence ill be paying interest and the bank loan will be paying the principal. works out the same as interest only but you get the lower P&I rates :)

18. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Sought tax advice?

I proposed something similar, but have not tried it.
    Tax Tip 46: Want to Pay IO on a PI loan? Tax Tip 46: Want to Pay IO on a PI loan?

Perthguy likes this.
  19. PandDos

PandDos Active Member

I’m only 3.5 years in, so just getting to the point where i can extract equity.

I just had a look at your post. i was quite surprised that a lot of people don't seem to know about this technique. I think a fair point to make is this is effectively no different than doing IO, except that you can get a much better rate on P&I these days, and banks are much more favourable on P&I. meaning you can have your cake and eat it too...

also, you don't need to have 2 loans as you suggest. you can just extend your current loan and place the money in an offset.

as you pay off your 800k extended loan with a 100K offset = 700k liability
    it becomes a 750k loan with a 50K offset = 700k liability
    etc...
    when your offset is gone you just refinance again.

you just need to keep up the interest portion which is effectively always on the 700k. the mix of P&I and IO you suggested would keep a portion of the loan at a higher rate. it also adds a layer of complexity that you probably don't need.

also you said

20. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You have some serious tax issues to consider, especially with the offset account aspect.

This is not the same as borrowing on a IO basis either.

Did you get tax advice?

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.