How will you deal with the rollover of your IO loans into Principal and Interest payments?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Whiz, 14th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

How will you deal with rollover of IO loans to P&I payments on your investment loans?

Poll closed 23rd Jan, 2020.
  1. I intend to sell a property within the next 12 months

8.9%
  2. I intend to sell 2 or more properties

3.4%
  3. I will have to sell most of my properties

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm already selling

2.8%
  5. I can manage the P & I repayments - just!

25.1%
  6. I can manage the P & I repayments easily

59.8%
  1. Whiz

Whiz Well-Known Member

There is a lot of speculation about how the rollover to Principal and Interest payments will affect investors. Curious to see how members here will respond.
    I expect to have to sell one or more properties within the next 3 years.
    Could probably hold out and not sell for a number of years with the buffer I have, but would prefer to keep a big buffer.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

is there value for someone to further extend the IO ?

ta
    rolf

KayTea likes this.
  3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yes...but indefinitely. Paying IP loans down is counter productive (for me).

4. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    I suspect many of the responses you receive will be from people in denial about what is coming their way ....

Ask again in 12 months, when the P&I migration is hitting its stride and people have been rquired to find the extra money for several months in a row...

alicudi and highlighter like this.
  5. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I'll extend it where it makes sense and is possible - still two years away and a lot can change. Plan for the worst and hope for the best - I think it is less than likely that this will drive financial ruin in the end.

The complexity of interest rate plans is driving me crazy though - it is worse than an electricity plan. PPOR(P&I), PPOR(IO), IP(P&I), IP(IO) plus fixed/variable permutations.

Who knows what is out there.. 40 year mortgages?

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I only have one IO loan left but I am thinking of switching to P&I 2 years early for the lower interest rate. I have the rental income to cover the repayments, so why not?

I won't be selling anything. Actually, I will be looking to take on more debt in 2020 if the right deal comes along.

luckyone, Shazi, splatters and 2 others like this.
  7. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Definitely would not want to be forced to sell a property in Sydney at the moment.For a market that has often been described as indestructible, it seams to have some underlying problems.
    Domain are tonight(14/7) reporting a clearance rate of 48% with many auctions consisting of just one bidder, with others unable to get finance.

8. Rolf Latham

and I think thats part of the equation.

its daft to expect that everyone will want to drive a Chery or Mahindra Car because its cheap.

There is no one fix, one solution, or one outcome

While we are very much into the debt reduction/recycle/diversification business, its not up to me to decide what a client should or should not want.

we provide tools, sometimes a push, rarely a shove.

If a client need to move to Liberty at 6 % to hold stock on IO, for some that would be plain silly, for others it may make sense in context.

APG 223 aint gonna go away in a hurry.............

ta
    rolf

9. Whiz

Whiz Well-Known Member

I've opened the poll with the option for people to change their responses, so might bump up this thread again in 12 months and see if anything changes.

Shazi and Stoffo like this.
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Im already there but exploring options with my bank/s. They'd rather not see me sell so thats a good start.

11. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Cool. In 12 months I suspect there will be a lot of readers who are currently convinced they are going to find things relatively easy , who will instead have received a bit of a rude reality check.

Might be worth adding a supplementary poll in 12 months or so, asking... who wishes their last purchase had been high yield so they could have started on debt reduction several years earlier? / who wished they had sold something low yield and replaced it with something high yield so they could have started on debt reduction several years earlier? or something along those lines....

highlighter likes this.
  12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The Perth investors who bought at the 2014 peak and will come off their first 5yr IO loans in 2019 may be in for a world of pain. Those that bought in 2013 would already be in it. Simply because even if they wanted another IO term their asset is now worth 10% less (some more) and rents for 10% less (some more) so valuations and serviceability will struggle together with the APRA screw downs. So they if they don't want that scrutiny on their IP they will need to roll over and go P&I. Thankfully if they have only had one IO term their P&I rates on the remaining 20yrs won't be as bad as rolling onto a 15yr P&I.

People in other states should heed this. Markets go up and down. Leveraging to the hilt during booms is high risk.

Personally I'll be ok. My "cost" of IPs is less than most buy and holders as I've generated equity and value via developing so my wholesale yield is higher.

Perthguy and Jess Peletier like this.
  13. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

With 62% of the property investors being able handle principal easily it does not seem like a current problem

14. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

In 23 years of property investing I've never had an interest only loan on property (on shares yes). They are an Australian speculative quirk that should be phased out completely.

Marg4000, Beano and highlighter like this.
  15. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if you aren't on the money here. Something to remember too is a lot of users on this forum are more savvy than your average investor. If 60% or so here are feeling comfortable, that doesn't mean your average newbie or mum and dad investor will be, and part of the problem with the recent boom is it's attracted a lot of inexperienced investors generally. I've spoken to people who haven't even realised they were on IO loans. The rude shock potential is definitely out there.

16. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I've got one rolling to P&I next year. It's in lmi, so I'll debt recycle part of my PPOR loan to bring it back to 80%, then refinance it back out to 30 years with a new IO period.

chylld likes this.
  17. Rolf Latham

Shoulds are very personal and specific to how we see the world..

Tony Robbins has a good take on this I believe

ta

rolf

MWI and Perthguy like this.
  18. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Would have probably acquired more if you went IO. Dont hate the player, hate the game. Oh wait...

Anyway right or wrong, I don't think property investing 'works' with P&I.

19. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

IO works well in rising markets, but can be devasting in areas that see very little growth for an extended period , after 8-10 years many start to seriously question their strategy, especially when they have never even touched the principal .
    Our last investment will be paid off in less than 10 years, almost time to start looking again, just need the market conditions like after the GFC and there is always someone that has bitten of too much with one of the lenders of last resort.
    Many are still in denial about all the recent changes , and the RC has not even handed down its findings yet , which may or may not bring more heartache for those with little understanding of risk.
    Take investors(and/or finance) out of any market and it will flatline for a long time, which in turn makes negative gearing almost redundant
    Especially when they have based their purchasing power on the the IO monthly payments and the banks suddenly rewrite the rules and the next lot of investors can only borrow 80% of what was previously available.

20. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Another cautionary tale from the Perth experience:
    Brother in law reached the end of his 5 year IO period recently. At the outset the property was negatively geared (excellent, a big tax return) and over that time, the rent dropped 25% (even bigger tax returns!). The higher repayments on rollover to P&I were not doable so he had to sell. He bought the place for $395K - sold it for $355K which paid out the loan but didn't cover the agent's commission. He won't have to pay capital gains tax for years!

Westminster likes this.