How Will Technology affect Property Demand?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by JBC, 20th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I listed by first rental this year where lights, air conditioner etc are run by Siri

No light switches, you can scan then or just talk to them - turn on hallway light etc
    Tenants have to sync to their mobile to make it work.

There was some scan/swipe system if you lose your phone.

Very very awesome.

What did that do to rent prices?
    Increased them.

2. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

I've posted about this in the past. The combination of autonomous cars, mesh networks which connect the cars to the road system and fast ubiquitous mobile broadband (NBN FTTP is also a must have) will mean that people will be able to live further out if they chose to. I'd love to live in a semi rural setting and commute to the city for work.

Imagine getting into your car, or a share car, for a 1 hour trip to work in the city, travelling at 100 kph most of the way, and starting work as soon as you sit in the vehicle. Laptop onto a tray, turn it on...and you are working while travelling to work.

Autonomous vehicles will happen. When a human driven car needs an insurance premium many multiples compared to an autonomous vehicle, how many people will choose to pay that premium?

Here’s where you’ll live when self-driving cars rule the roads

C-mac likes this.
  3. JBC

JBC Member

Firstly, i would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and contributions to this thread. I should point out that I started this thread this while moving house and couldn't find my login details for some time. By the time I found them, it was too late to contribute again. I hope you all understand.
    I do, however, think now is an appropriate time to renew the discussion, given the effect Covid 19 has had on the obvious uptake of technology by business and education.
    Many are suggesting commercial real estate will never be the same and that would obviously be reflected in domestic also.
    Is anyone putting any thought into these things atm?

4. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Hey there, great these to resurrect!

I just posted a comment on another property chat thread that pretty much speaks to this.

Well, the notion of increased WFH (work from home), telecommuting, and reduced need for 'larger' commercial spaces in favor of smaller commercial spaces.

Covid-19 could kick off some big changes in these spaces, will be interesting to see what happens!

5. Big Lez

Big Lez Well-Known Member

This is my gut feeling, even though a lot more people are working from home, I still think people will need to go to the head office at least 1-2 days per week to attend meetings with colleagues and clients. Sure, there might be a reduction in demand for commercial real estate, I reckon a lot more people will consider relocating to more affordable areas (1-2 hour) commutes away from the CBD if it means they only have to commute 1-2 days per week.

C-mac likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How will this pan out for interstate and OS travel? We're doing it effectively by Zoom, hangouts & facetime - will we go back?

Not travelling will mean $$ saved on unnecessary travel but still achieving the same outcomes. Granted that it may not be possible to undertake site inspections etc without travel but many other functions would be redundant.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia